Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if you can use bolt on hooks on a large tractor like a 5093e? I bought some and went to install them, now I think I might have made a mistake. I'm not sure if they will work because the frame of the loader is double thick at the install area. Anyone know what I could do, maybe I need the weld on. I probably should have researched more before the purchase.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You trying to bolt to loader or the bucket? Way I look at it is the hook will just be stronger. Is it over 1/2" thick?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The product I'm talking about is Ken's Bolt on Hooks. They hook onto the bucket of the loader, it appears to be 1.5 maybe 2 inches thick on the top of the bucket.

·
Administrator
20,308 Posts
The product I'm talking about is Ken's Bolt on Hooks. They hook onto the bucket of the loader, it appears to be 1.5 maybe 2 inches thick on the top of the bucket.
I'll move your thread to Kenny's Bolt-on Hooks forum here on GTT. I'm sure he'll be along soon to offer his years of wisdom and hook knowledge.:drinks:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Holy smokes. That is hopefully double wall if not that would be very heavy. On my 3000 series I made my own and bolted them here. They have proven to be crazy strong.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393634375.964451.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393634396.984590.jpg

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
It sounds like the bucket in question has a rectangle tube forming the top of the bucket. Seems that the Heavy Duty buckets are built that way.

No doubt Kenny can give you a solid answer on the best way to attach hooks to such a bucket. I welded mine, but I prefer to weld things like that anyway. He can tell you the best route to go.

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts
JD, I responded to your email's late last night.
In general, I cannot recommend the bolt on hooks on the double walled buckets, here is a blurb from the FAQ page on the website:

Q: What if the top of my bucket is double-walled?
A #1: Some heavy duty buckets have a double wall construction on the top, and bolting hooks to them could damage the bucket by compressing the wall’s together, and you would not be able to properly torque the bolts. If you have this type of bucket construction, then these hooks may not be the best option and you should consider having the hooks welded on.

A #2: One customer, Bob from IN recently did an install on his 3320/300cx/HD Bucket with custom made spacers. You can read the details here on the GreenTractorTalk forum. We cannot offer this solution due to the difference's in the buckets.
Now, I know there are quite a few customers who have used them on these style buckets (after buying longer bolts themselves) on John Deere tractors as well as some other brands, some have even made custom spacers like Bob did (link above). What are the long term affects on using them in this situation is unknown to me, no customer has ever reported back that the hook(s) became loose (indicating that the bucket walls moved closer together under the pressure) or reported a failure of the bucket.

Because of these unknown's, our not being able to properly test the hooks on that style bucket (as we did on the Proof Testing page), and the wide variety of buckets styles and construction styles we must say that we don't recommend the bolt on hooks for this style bucket.

I will gladly refund your money (minus shipping fees) if you would like to return them, and we can supply the weld-on hooks and blank reinforcing plates if your choose to weld hooks onto your bucket. I am sorry if you feel that this information wasn't clearly spelled out on the website, I try my best to make everything very concise and clear to eliminate any confusion like this, but what reads well or makes sense to me doesn't always read that way to others.

Kenny

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot, Ken. As I stated earlier above I did not do enough research and I am unfamiliar with the smaller tractors. Which is why I got overly excited about the hooks as they looked awesome for my operation. My brother has a smaller Kubota that they would work on if I don't get the longer bolts for mine.
Thank you,
Bo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts