Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting real close to signing the papers for the 1025R. It's $50 per hook welded at the dealer and painted.

So which do you guys $ gals prefer? Welded or bolted?

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
That's more of a personal preference thing. The bolted on ones are plenty strong enough you'll never have an issue with them. The welded on ones are just more permanent.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's more of a personal preference thing. The bolted on ones are plenty strong enough you'll never have an issue with them. The welded on ones are just more permanent.
Yeah - the permanent thing has me wondering. Ever had a reason to take them off?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Is this a Set-Up question??? :lol: Obviously you'll find a lot of us use Kenny's Bolt On hooks! Click the Vendor tab! High Quality and quick shipment and movable if need be! Ken's a long time Administrator of this group and one of the Founding Fathers of it predessors! You won't be disappointed....... ~Scotty

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
Yeah - the permanent thing has me wondering. Ever had a reason to take them off?
Nope....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397152392.418527.jpg

The bolt-on hooks Kenny sells are just super easy to install and cheaper than what your dealer quoted to weld hooks on.

I got my weld-on hooks from Kenny.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Mine are welded to my bucket, I've never felt a need to removed them.

That said, if you go with Kenny's bolt on hooks you can also install the bolt on shackle/ clevis mounts on the inside of the bucket as well if you wanted them.

Either would work fine, but if the dealer wanted $50 per hook to install them I would certainly go for the bolt on.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
Nope....

View attachment 26877

The bolt-on hooks Kenny sells are just super easy to install and cheaper than what your dealer quoted to weld hooks on.

I got my weld-on hooks from Kenny.
JohnFromOKC,
If the dealer is really going to weld on hooks that are as above (hooks welded to a plate and then the plate is welded to the bucket) you are probably good to go. If not, bolt on.
I would expect a hook welded to the bucket without the plate you will end up bending the bucket far easier.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Only reason I could see for removal is if you break one. It'd take a LOT of force though. Last 10,000 lb rated I hook I broke is probably still somewhere in orbit.

Jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go with Kenny's bolt on and shackles underneath. You can't go wrong, great service and very easy to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hey, looks like your bucket is bent too. ;)

·
Administrator
18,319 Posts
Here is my opinion FWIW, for small machines there is absolutely no reason to weld on hooks. These tractors can't even come close to stressing the bolt on hooks, and if you weld them (or have them welded) the nice factory finish on the bucket will have to be ground off beforehand, and there is no rattle can paint (even though the JD brand paint is great stuff) that will be nearly as durable as the factory job-it's some super tough stuff. The paint in the inside of the bucket gets burned off as well from the heat on the top side. Worst case, the hack weldor burns through the thin bucket material (10 gauge or 0.1345") creating a real mess, or creates a huge HAZ (heat affected zone) around the weld so it actually makes the bucket weaker in the hook area.

I can all but guarantee they will not put a reinforcement plate under them, and a lot of dealers aren't even using real weld on hooks, they are cutting up the regular hooks and using those.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Here is my opinion FWIW, for small machines there is absolutely no reason to weld on hooks. These tractors can't even come close to stressing the bolt on hooks, and if you weld them (or have them welded) the nice factory finish on the bucket will have to be ground off beforehand, and there is no rattle can paint (even though the JD brand paint is great stuff) that will be nearly as durable as the factory job-it's some super tough stuff. The paint in the inside of the bucket gets burned off as well from the heat on the top side. Worst case, the hack weldor burns through the thin bucket material (10 gauge or 0.1345") creating a real mess, or creates a huge HAZ (heat affected zone) around the weld so it actually makes the bucket weaker in the hook area.

I can all but guarantee they will not put a reinforcement plate under them, and a lot of dealers aren't even using real weld on hooks, they are cutting up the regular hooks and using those.
Kennyd just wants to sell some bolts along with his hooks :p

In all honesty I believe he is right. I would go bolt on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have Kenny's hooks on each end of mine plus the pad eye + shackle in the center. The eye is handiest for quick hookup by running the chain out to one of the hooks, chain lift length is adjustable right from the side. Most of my lifts are single chain straight up and this works well for that.

Don't forget, paint 'em YELLOW for artistic contrast and total OSHA compliance!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts