Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to store your assorted types of Bolts/Nuts/Washers?

·
Administrator
17,991 Posts
Mostly plastic bins from Horrible Fright:
IMG_1279.jpg

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
Pockets, tool box, window sill, glove compartment of truck, etc. Actually I have a set of small metal drawers used in the parts department for stocking small parts. It has been in the garage for 26 years now and not really set up the way that it should be. Another project that I need to work on. There are a lot of good storage methods on the market. I believe that if you get your wife busy on the google machine you will find what you need. The ones that I have are rugged and will last forever, but probably not as handy as is available now. Because I know how busy Mrs. Gizmo is, I have started the search for you: http://www.equipto.com/pdf/Modular Drawer Cabinets.pdf
This is the brand that I have. It is an old time company, but probably a bit on the expensive side. Kind of the John Deere of parts storage.

...or, you can go the same way as Kenny, who is much quicker on the draw than I am. I like the Horrible Freight visible storage, better than my drawer setup.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
5 gallon bucket, and just throw all of them in. It's fun to pick through them to find the right size, length, etc. I can see a game show coming in the future where contestants have a certain amount of time to find a 5/8 x 11 hex head bolt, grade 5, inch and half long, full thread, two 5/8 x .063 thick lock washer, a 5/8 washer, and a 5/8 x 11 nut. The show will be hosted by that food guy Guy what-his-name. Looking for ideas for show's title.:munch:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. BTDT type thingy......:hide:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The boxes they came in, and those cheap multi drawer storage bins you can get at any hardware store....must admit, spend a lot of time looking for the right item, when needed.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pockets, tool box, window sill, glove compartment of truck, etc
:lol::lol:

Who said anything about spending money?
I like Kenny's idea but in my environment babycakes would have them filled with saw dust.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
5 gallon bucket, and just throw all of them in. It's fun to pick through them to find the right size, length, etc. I can see a game show coming in the future where contestants have a certain amount of time to find a 5/8 x 11 hex head bolt, grade 5, inch and half long, full thread, two 5/8 x .063 thick lock washer, a 5/8 washer, and a 5/8 x 11 nut. The show will be hosted by that food guy Guy what-his-name. Looking for ideas for show's title.:munch:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. BTDT type thingy......:hide:
Ditto; only I use a 1 gallon bucket, one for bolts/nuts and one for screws...that way I can dump the whole thing into an old plastic dishpan, grab the longest bolt/screw and sort through the mess to find what I want.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have Equipto Industrial Steel drawer cabinets, each unit is 4'x4'x20"deep, 7drawerswide and 7drawers high all drawers have adjustable slides inside to make the size of bin inside the drawer to the size u need. I also have and assortment of Lawson Product Drawer cabinets for small screws , fasteners, electrical connectors and such

·
Registered
438 Posts
:
It might be called Concentration because once you've gone through the entire bucket and can't find the exact replacement, now it's time to remember where on the floor is a bolt that "might" work?
The method has many hidden benefits:
1. Saves money & trips to town
2. Strengthens memory & dexterity skills
3. Strengthens compromising & evaluation skills. :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
It might be called Concentration because once you've gone through the entire bucket and can't find the exact replacement, now it's time to remember where on the floor is a bolt that "might" work?
The method has many hidden benefits:
1. Saves money & trips to town
2. Strengthens memory & dexterity skills
3. Strengthens compromising & evaluation skills. :laugh:
Not to mention it's a good patience test. I usually flunk that part.:empathy:

·
Administrator
20,718 Posts
I use the "all of the above" method. Some is organized in bins, some is in the original containers, others are scattered for easy searching, some are very well hidden in plain sight. But in any case. I "know" where it is. :laugh:

I need to get my garage more organized.......

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it seems we are all doing the same thing, more or less. :lol: It amazes me how close we all are.
I use a big magnet to help pick up after I'm done with the dump, just before I go to the store to buy what I need.

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
Kenny you are way too neat!

Never seemed to have the time to "organize",but I always have time to root through the boxes. Every time I do I picture our cat in the litter box. Paws moving litter, fingers moving hardware. You get the picture.:)
Ever notice how the small 1/4" stuff (that you use all the time) always filters down to the bottom of the box. Amazing!

Attachments

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Mostly plastic bins from Horrible Fright:
View attachment 29643
Same idea for me except not near as many. Keeping like size bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers in their own bin. Need to add more since it seems I am needed more smaller stuff under 1/4". Can't buy the smaller stuff by the pound like the 1/4"+ sizes and are so expensive!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I use old coffee cans, with lids, and also mason jars, that are not good for use in home canning anymore, (small chip, etc.), or even the plastic jars like mustard comes in. That gives me all sorts of sizes of containers, from half pint to gallon, or a 1lb or 3lb coffee can.

I can see in the jars, or write on the coffee can lid. Or, I can just let it surprise me each time I open it, and "discover" what is inside.

I like the bins, but usually end up turning them upside down and dumping the contents in the truck, since most of my work is done under a shade tree.

If you have a baby or grandbaby around, or know someone that does, the baby food jars are great for things like cotter pins, and other small items.

If course, sometimes, I just dump my extras into whichever container, in a hurry, and then I have to go hunting, or buy more. Someone is going to have an awful lot of fun, going thru and discovering what is in the collection of odds and ends, when I die, if they are into anything mechanical! :mocking:

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
Kenny you are way too neat!

Never seemed to have the time to "organize",but I always have time to root through the boxes. Every time I do I picture our cat in the litter box. Paws moving litter, fingers moving hardware. You get the picture.:)
Ever notice how the small 1/4" stuff (that you use all the time) always filters down to the bottom of the box. Amazing!
Greg:

I think a lot of us would call your method well organized.

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
I use drawers made from the rectangular metal gallon cans. Cut one side out, fold the edges in, instant drawer! These are placed in a cabinet on shelves. Also have a few old divided metal parts drawers in the same cabinet for keys, grease fittings, etc. ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
Some pics of mine: HPIM3094.JPG HPIM3095.JPG

For small bolts, screws, etc. in the shop, these lidded trays came from Westlake Ace Hdwe. (sale price):

HPIM3096.JPG HPIM3097.JPG

Lowell

1 - 20 of 35 Posts