Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tractor Supply Company, TSC (Countyline) boom pole was on-sale this week, so I picked one up. This boom-pole is their light-duty model(500 Lb. CAP on the end loop, 1000 Lb.CAP on the lower loop).

download.png
Today, I added a section of 2" ID receiver tubing to mount a winch.
Below is the winch I bought a couple weeks age. This winch is equipped with a remote control, and also came with the roller fairlead.
IMG_1042.jpg

I made up a section of 2' OD tubing to slide into a receiver tubing. This is all made of scrap pieces I had laying about.
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG

I bought a winch mounting plate today and attached the winch to the tubing. The winch plate was on-sale for $4.99. :thumbup1gif:
IMG_1440.JPG
IMG_1439.JPG

Below is the piece of 2" ID receiver tubing slide over and pinned to the section I made up.
IMG_1443.JPG

I welded the piece of 2" ID receiver tubing to the bottom of the boom-pole frame(red primer).
IMG_1444.JPG

Here, you can see a 20K snatch-block shackled to the pole loop.
IMG_1447.JPG

I need to run a power cable, from the battery, to the back of the tractor. I'm waiting for some Anderson Power Connector to arrive for that.
Andrerson_SB50_120A_double_pole_power_connector_red_16mm2_cable_1[2].jpg

I'm going to also add a section of 2" ID tubing to the front of my utility trailers. The winch will be able to be switched from trailer, to boom-pole, to trailer, to whatever.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,522 Posts
Hot damn!!!:good2:

Watching real close on what ya doing there FW.

Didn't pick up the winch today, looked up the specs. on it and the $69 one was crap.
5% duty cycle with 165 amp draw at max pull.
Looks like I'm going to have to go with a bigger one $160 to get more acceptable specs. :banghead:

Pretty much how I'm going to mount the winch on mine, will also add retractable spuds (like stabilizer legs on a backhoe) so
I can just hookup and unhook to it at the right height for the tractor.
Putting it on cement blocks seems too redneck. :laugh:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will also add retractable spuds (like stabilizer legs on a backhoe) so
I'm gonna build a metal stand, to store in at the proper height for hooking and unhooking.

BTW, Wat duh heck bees Rong witt cenda blahks. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm gonna build a metal stand, to store in at the proper height for hooking and unhooking.

BTW, Wat duh heck bees Rong witt cenda blahks. :laugh:

WOW! :clapping::bad:

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Ooooooooo! I have the TSC heavy duty boom pole and I already have a winch mounted on the back of my tractor. I should go get myself a pulley to hang off mine. Had never thought about using it in conjunction with the winch! :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,655 Posts
I bought a winch mounting plate today and attached the winch to the tubing. The winch plate was on-sale for $4.99. :thumbup1gif:
Nice job.
Where did you get the winch plate for $4.99?

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Nice job.
Where did you get the winch plate for $4.99?
Are you considering a winch for the ZT? You could save BC a lot of time if you winched yourself out instead of having her pull you out.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,522 Posts
Are you considering a winch for the ZT? You could save BC a lot of time if you winched yourself out instead of having her pull you out.
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif: :lol:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Hot damn!!!:good2:

Watching real close on what ya doing there FW.

Didn't pick up the winch today, looked up the specs. on it and the $69 one was crap.
5% duty cycle with 165 amp draw at max pull.
Looks like I'm going to have to go with a bigger one $160 to get more acceptable specs. :banghead:

Pretty much how I'm going to mount the winch on mine, will also add retractable spuds (like stabilizer legs on a backhoe) so
Don't be so against a smaller winch my friend.
Technically you have only a 1000 capacity at mid and 500 at end loops according to boom specs.
You can run the single winch line up to a sheave hanging from loop, then down to another single sheave with a hook attached, then back up to boom loop. That gives you a two part line on the hook and basically doubles you lifting capacity with a smaller winch. Makes it work half as hard as well. :good2:

B4BAB1BE-D09A-47AF-BF30-CCE5E51F1696.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,655 Posts
Nope. :munch:

Technically you have only a 1000 capacity at mid and 500 at end loops according to boom specs.
You can run the single winch line up to a sheave hanging from loop, then down to another single sheave with a hook attached, then back up to boom loop. That gives you a two part line on the hook and basically doubles you lifting capacity with a smaller winch. Makes it work half as hard as well. :good2:
I like that. :thumbup1gif:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,522 Posts

View attachment 597442
Yup, but it does cut your line speed (FPM) in half.
The line speed on the smaller one, $69, I looked at wasn't too great.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It seems like that depends on the lift capacity of the 3 point hitch that the boom pole is attached to.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
  • OC's boom pole specs:
  • Front loop lift capacity - 1,000 lb.
  • Rear loop lift capacity - 2,000 lb.
FW's(that's me) :mocking: boom pole specs:

• Front loop lift capacity - 500 lb.
  • Rear loop lift capacity - 1,000 lb.
The winch I bought has a 2500 lb. capacity. I care nothing about the line speed. I plan to use the winch(on the boom pole) to lift cut logs(24" max length & diameter, ~275 Lb. average weight) onto the platform of a log splitter.

I have no plans of lifting anything over 1000 lbs. at the rear loop, and 500 lbs. at the front. I know this boom is for light jobs and don't intend to damage it, my little tractor and harm anyone nearby.

The winch will be used for other jobs like, loading < 1000 lb. objects(mower, garden tractor, atv, etc....) onto my trailers. I plan to install a 2" receiver on the front of my trailers for attaching the winch.

"That's my plans and I'm,,,,,, sticking to it." :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I used a 2000lb tractor supply ATV winch to make a receiver mounted winch. I use it on my utility trailer to load minibuggies and in the receiver on the truck to pull things to the truck. I wired it up to use the 10-12 awg wire on the trailer power (7 pin connector). It's handy for sure. I just welded the ATV mounting plate onto a 2" drop hitch. I slide that into the trailer or truck receiver tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nvBz-NC0c

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yup, but it does cut your line speed (FPM) in half.
The line speed on the smaller one, $69, I looked at wasn't too great.
Naturally. You in a hurry? :laugh:

It seems like that depends on the lift capacity of the 3 point hitch that the boom pole is attached to.
Yes. Any electric winch is pretty much over the capacity of the boom and 3 point.
My point was a two part line makes a small winch work less hard and smoother.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Do any of you fine GTT members know why I painted the tip of the boom pole orange? :mocking:

IMG_1507.JPG

For the winch, I ran the powers supply to the rear of the tractor.
IMG_1505.JPG

Installed wire-loom to keep the wiring together and to help protect it.
IMG_1495.JPG

Connection mated. :mocking:
IMG_1501.JPG

Winch, breaker and power connector all in one package. I plan to attach some sort of handle onto it, for ease of moving.
IMG_1502.JPG

Ready for use. :thumbup1gif:
IMG_1506.JPG

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
Do any of you fine GTT members know why I painted the tip of the boom pole orange? :mocking:
Because you can?
You had to use it up because it was the wrong color orange to match the other tractor your working one?
To show Gizmo that there are other options than flat black?
To meet some OSHA rule you learned from working on cranes?

:dunno:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Because you can?
:thumbup1gif:

You had to use it up because it was the wrong color or IH Red, but remembered I bought a can of Kubota Orange for BIL's mower. So, I used a bit to make sure the can was working. :mocking:
To show Gizmo that there are other options than flat black?
:mocking:

To meet some OSHA rule you learned from working on cranes?
:thumbup1gif: I almost walk slap into the pole tip. If it weren't for my Wildcat like reflexes, I might have maid contact. :good2:

Just to screw with us? :lol:
I wouldn't do that. At least not to you. :hide:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts