Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Wonder if my jd 2320 will handle a 2 bottom plow 12 inch :unknown:Want to buy a bottom plow
I would say 'not very well'. Check out my video of a 3320 with 2-12's.

We didn't have it perfectly adjusted, and I chopped out a lot of the video where it was lugging or spinning, so I promise you, this video is 'best case'. Let me know if you need link (I'm on my phone).

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would say 'not very well'. Check out my video of a 3320 with 2-12's.

We didn't have it perfectly adjusted, and I chopped out a lot of the video where it was lugging or spinning, so I promise you, this video is 'best case'. Let me know if you need link (I'm on my phone).
thanks for video you have better tractor r1 tires , i have r4 tires i think 1 bottom 12 inch for me:greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
thanks for video you have better tractor r1 tires , i have r4 tires i think 1 bottom 12 inch for me:greentractorride:

Dan,

I would recommend getting a gauge wheel and a coulter with your plow. Gauge wheel is more important with these short-wheel base tractors.
Coulter allows you to cut through trash, and leave a clean furrow sidewall.

Tim

·
Registered
334 Posts
Simple Answer: IT DEPENDS.

I think they recommend a 12" plow, which is pretty sad since my 1974 140 garden tractor pulls a 12" brinly plow.

BUT, it depends on how deep you want to plow, soil conditions, type of soil, tires on the tractor, weight on the tractor, how well the plow is set up, design of the moldboard and how fast you want to go.

I have pulled a 16" JD plow with my little Mitsubishi compact, its 17hp and 4x4. I have bar tires, 150lb wheel weights and it has to be in 4x4 to move, but it will do it. That tractor is gear drive so less drivetrain loss.

2-12 is pretty common size for say Ford 8/9N so you see a lot of those for sale used. But some are 2-14 or 2-16 so need to measure it.

IMG_7145.JPG

pl.jpg

3.jpg

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan,

I would recommend getting a gauge wheel and a coulter with your plow. Gauge wheel is more important with these short-wheel base tractors.
Coulter allows you to cut through trash, and leave a clean furrow sidewall.

Tim
Right now i try to find a used one .I find 3 for under 600 but all with 2 plows -that s why i start this thread

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple Answer: IT DEPENDS.

I think they recommend a 12" plow, which is pretty sad since my 1974 140 garden tractor pulls a 12" brinly plow.

BUT, it depends on how deep you want to plow, soil conditions, type of soil, tires on the tractor, weight on the tractor, how well the plow is set up, design of the moldboard and how fast you want to go.

I have pulled a 16" JD plow with my little Mitsubishi compact, its 17hp and 4x4. I have bar tires, 150lb wheel weights and it has to be in 4x4 to move, but it will do it. That tractor is gear drive so less drivetrain loss.

2-12 is pretty common size for say Ford 8/9N so you see a lot of those for sale used. But some are 2-14 or 2-16 so need to measure it.

View attachment 321746

View attachment 321730

View attachment 321738
I too have a 16hp kubota b7100 r1 tires gear that would pull a plow better than my jd 2320 hydro r4 tires But kubota has a backhoe that is a pain to remove

·
Registered
334 Posts
One more picture of the 140 and plow I made based off a Brinly bottom and a frame.

IMG_0439.JPG

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Wonder if my jd 2320 will handle a 2 bottom plow 12 inch :unknown:Want to buy a bottom plow
It could but would be max.You'ld be better with a single 12"or 14".Soil type and moisture content Makes a difference as others have said.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
If you find one ask if you could demo it to see if it will work. Might not be possible but worth asking.

Most issues people have are they plow too deep, plow soil that's to wet, plow too fast, mold board isn't clean and slick, or all the above. A rule of thumb I've used for depth is half the plow, for example a 12 inch plow should be 6 inches deep but 7 would be acceptable. The plows can go deeper but for compact tractors the half rule seems to work pretty good. A moldboard can go deeper and they do for ag tractors, but a chisel plow is better if you need to go deeper than say 12-16 inches and that is usually because of compaction or drainage.

Just my two cents and your experience could vary.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Soil type, compaction, and tractive force all factor into how much plow you can pull.

For example, my old G could pull a three-16 in light soil, but could only handle a two-14 when breaking fallow ground.

I would recommend you get a one-14 or one-16 for several reasons;
1) Less strain on your tractor regardless of soil type.
2) More manuverability in tight areas.
3) Easier to store and hook up.
4) You don't need a bigger plow unless you are looking to knock down some serious acreage... In which case you need a bigger tractor. Hydrostatic drives are not very well suited for plowing anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Transferred a couple of trees from my nursery plot with backhoe. Hydraulic shovel is great, my how a man's thinking can change with age.
Removed bh and put on new mold board plow. Rolled portion of garden with crab grass issuea. Was well pleased with performance of both 1025r and the new 12" plow after couple passes and getting set properly!
Put backhoe back on and dug up couple more stumps out of old fence row. I must admit, I should have bought this set up to begin with instead of that 38hp too big tractor.
Attachments

OLDFARMHAND
a day ago · #6806
For some reason this one did not attach.
Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
You will most likely want to stick with a one bottom plow. Grew up with 8n and 2 bottom but dirt, loam verses clay makes a difference as well as weight/traction. Proper adjustment of a plow is paramount to successful use.
I purchased my 12" in Farminton, MO for $300 new and am real pleased with perfomance of plow and 1025r. I still have the old Dearborn plow but pinned rather high and no go in this clay dirt. Better to do a good job with a 1 bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,915 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
You will most likely want to stick with a one bottom plow. Grew up with 8n and 2 bottom but dirt, loam verses clay makes a difference as well as weight/traction. Proper adjustment of a plow is paramount to successful use.
I purchased my 12" in Farminton, MO for $300 new and am real pleased with perfomance of plow and 1025r. I still have the old Dearborn plow but pinned rather high and no go in this clay dirt. Better to do a good job with a 1 bottom.
what brand is that 12"? our farm's getting to the point where we're about to start some field crops, but finding an affordable plow has been the hard part...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1025 looking for plow attachment dealer said frontier didnt make one. You post said 12" plow was used. Thats what I'm looking for. Brand and model would be most appreciated. Thx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts