Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a lot of procrastinating, I bought a Viofo A119 dash camera. I need to tweak it a little, if you skip to about the 2:00 minute mark you can see the sun glare gets pretty bad when I turn south. Forgive the music, I thought I had the microphone turned off.

Today was also the maiden voyage for the white pickup on the highway. Did well, got me to TSC and home again. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
That is a nice looking view with nice color and saturation and it appears to be a very steady image. When I started looking last year, I considered the A119. But, having no knowledge of dash cams, I ended up with a Garmin Dash Cam 20, as I use Garmin GPS units. The Garmin's field of view is a bit too wide for my taste, but it does look very similar to yours, so maybe that's the standard configuration of these units? I also have problems with sun glare at times of day, but I don't see any fix. When I have to squint, I know the image is flaring.

How are you mounting the camera? I've had poor luck with the suction-cup mount. If I don't re-stick it after extreme temperature changes, I end up with the camera swinging from the rear-view mirror. I've also tried a visor clip mount which works well. I haven't looked at a permanent mount because I have to remove the camera nightly as where I live, they'll smash your side window to steal a camera or GPS. When I visited Wyoming, I could have reached in plenty of open cab windows and helped myself to a rifle or two. Boy, I wish I could trade places with you!

Does the Viofo A119 have an option to record GPS data? The Garmin does, and it was one of the reason I chose it. However, it has not proven of any value other than to show me that I am always over the speed limit by 3-5 mph.

Does your camera have ignition sense? Are you going to utilize it? I plug into a live accessory socket and don't receive any benefit from the ignition sense. Turning the camera on and off is all on me and more than several times, when I forgot to shut the camera off, I lost hours of video when it was over-recorded by the view of where I've parked. Did I mention that I often neglect to turn it on after actually remembering to turn it off?

Please keep us updated on your experience with the A119 and how you are mounting and powering. I for one, am always looking for a better mousetrap.

No need to apologize for the music. That's good stuff right there!

·
Registered
417 Posts
After a lot of procrastinating, I bought a Viofo A119 dash camera. I need to tweak it a little, if you skip to about the 2:00 minute mark you can see the sun glare gets pretty bad when I turn south. Forgive the music, I thought I had the microphone turned off.

Today was also the maiden voyage for the white pickup on the highway. Did well, got me to TSC and home again. :laugh:

Nice camera.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Forgive the music, I thought I had the microphone turned off.
Ann Murray and Roger Miller? NOTHING to forgive! I think we listen to the same station! :bigthumb:

Nice, steady image on that camera. I'd like to get one for my Jeep, but not sure how to secure it when I'm driving topless. Not to mention the "weather issues" that sometimes hit things inside an open Jeep.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
56fordguy--ur picture I think is just as good as most of the u-tubers i watch, in trucking. i was gonna ask if u left it on, as so it could watch over ur truck while u was in the store. i could see where that could be good, if someone decided to bump ur vehicle, but only if it happened in the front-huh.

anyway's if i was still trucking, i'm sure i would be running one by now. i have no idea of these things in the way of cost:dunno:

probably the better they are, the more the cost:dunno: ah-i think ur old white truck u call it, well i think it must run and ride down the road pretty darn good, as their was no vibration from ur tires, as the camera didn't show it.:good2:which is good IMB.

·
Registered
21,562 Posts
I wish I had one of these when I was on the road. Saw so many things. Trying to explain all that stuff to Mrs. C after my trips - it would have been neat to show her what it's like to drive through cities on the interstate.

No use for one now being I only go out 2-3 times a month and all on the back roads. I was going to put in a cheap one anyway but found my truck does not have any switched power ports. So that would mean plugging/unplugging it every time (remembering to) or hard wire it - not worth it to me to tear the upper console apart only to have it not go back together properly.

One great detail if you are on the road a lot like Blake - you have instant proof if you are in an accident. Years ago when an old drunk guy pulled across in front of me when I was doing 55mph - it was a 3 month battle to prove what actually happened. With a dash cam running it would have been proven instantly.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I liked what you wrote, and I've been considering a dash cam for a while now. It has been really hard to boil things down to excellent recording quality, good overall feature set, and relatively low cost. I started looking around at the A119 and found that A) it's reasonably inexpensive for what it does and B) it comes in a variety of "brand names" (including SpyTec and Blueskysea) for very similar prices. Since I'm an Amazon Prime member, and the SpyTec version is available with Prime shipping, I'll go that route.

Also, it seems that there is a separate "add-on" piece that you would need if you wanted GPS tracking in your recordings. Using it places the camera slightly away from the windshield (it becomes the camera's mount point and adds a little gap) and apparently makes the camera just SLIGHTLY more visible from the outside. It also makes mounting and unmounting easier since the power cable stays connected to the mount and not the camera. Since I like this flexibility, I'll opt for the GPS version so I get the mount (although I'm not terribly concerned about having access to the GPS data, nor do I care to spend the money for special software to "decode" the GPS information).

Looks like a solid unit for $100.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to open up the throttle on that road. Do you have the speed recording feature turned off in case of an unwanted encounter with the authorities?
After two unwanted but well deserved encounters with the authorities, I stick within a couple MPH of the speed limit. :flag_of_truce: As for this road, there's a city police officer that lives out this way and I usually meet a highway patrol car in the mornings on my way in. There are better places to speed. :laugh:

The Garmin's field of view is a bit too wide for my taste, but it does look very similar to yours, so maybe that's the standard configuration of these units? I also have problems with sun glare at times of day, but I don't see any fix. When I have to squint, I know the image is flaring.

How are you mounting the camera? I've had poor luck with the suction-cup mount. If I don't re-stick it after extreme temperature changes, I end up with the camera swinging from the rear-view mirror. I've also tried a visor clip mount which works well. I haven't looked at a permanent mount because I have to remove the camera nightly as where I live, they'll smash your side window to steal a camera or GPS. When I visited Wyoming, I could have reached in plenty of open cab windows and helped myself to a rifle or two. Boy, I wish I could trade places with you!

Does the Viofo A119 have an option to record GPS data? The Garmin does, and it was one of the reason I chose it. However, it has not proven of any value other than to show me that I am always over the speed limit by 3-5 mph.

Does your camera have ignition sense? Are you going to utilize it? I plug into a live accessory socket and don't receive any benefit from the ignition sense. Turning the camera on and off is all on me and more than several times, when I forgot to shut the camera off, I lost hours of video when it was over-recorded by the view of where I've parked. Did I mention that I often neglect to turn it on after actually remembering to turn it off?

Please keep us updated on your experience with the A119 and how you are mounting and powering. I for one, am always looking for a better mousetrap.

No need to apologize for the music. That's good stuff right there!
Lot of good questions. :good2:

The Viofo does not record GPS in the camera itself, but there is an optional mount that contains the GPS unit. The standard mount is a piece of flat plastic that attaches to the windshield with adhesive tape and the camera slides on and locks on a little tab. The GPS version works the same way, but is a little thicker and has four pins that contact terminals on the camera. I bought the GPS kit, but it included the standard mount also. I put the standard mount in the pickup, and will use the GPS mount in my work truck. It does have ignition sense, but that truck doesn't have a switched power outlet. I just got lucky that the particular 3 minute segment I posted switched ended when I got to the store. I have a few videos of the parking lot. :laugh: I could turn it off or unplug it in the pickup, but my work truck does have a switched power outlet. As for the glare, they make a thing called a CPL- circular polarized lens. It's supposed to cut down on it significantly, but mounting angle and a clean windshield are also important. The CPL for my camera hasn't been released yet, but is supposed to be out by the end of the month.

The music is a local radio station, 103.3 The Range. They play a lot of the older, better stuff. :good2:

56fordguy--ur picture I think is just as good as most of the u-tubers i watch, in trucking. i was gonna ask if u left it on, as so it could watch over ur truck while u was in the store. i could see where that could be good, if someone decided to bump ur vehicle, but only if it happened in the front-huh.

anyway's if i was still trucking, i'm sure i would be running one by now. i have no idea of these things in the way of cost:dunno:

probably the better they are, the more the cost:dunno: ah-i think ur old white truck u call it, well i think it must run and ride down the road pretty darn good, as their was no vibration from ur tires, as the camera didn't show it.:good2:which is good IMB.
Because I left it on, the camera recorded the parking lot while I was in the store. It records in three minute videos, and that one just happened to end right there. When the memory card is full (mine is a 64 gb) it automatically begins overwriting the oldest videos with new ones. You can lock particular sections of video so that they don't get overwritten, and it also has a button to take a photograph. If I had turned the camera off but left it plugged in, it still has a shock sensor so that if something stuck my truck hard enough it would begin recording and save the previous 10 or 20 seconds. Like you said though, it only helps if the impact is in view of the camera.

Cost varies, you can get cameras from as low as $40-50 up to $3-400. Mine was rated best value by two different camera websites, and sells for $80-100 depending on where you buy it and if you get the GPS mounting system. The GPS is an extra $10, but you can still get the whole setup for under $100. They're supposedly releasing a new version of this one soon, so some places are marking down the prices of these. A popular, inexpensive camera is the G1W, it's about $50 but is physically bigger and not quite as tough. As for the truck, I was impressed. I put four new shock on last week, but the tires are used, studded tires mounted on used wheels with old balancing weights. These tires/ wheels have never been balanced together. All things considered, I thought it rode just fine. :good2:

I wish I had one of these when I was on the road. Saw so many things. Trying to explain all that stuff to Mrs. C after my trips - it would have been neat to show her what it's like to drive through cities on the interstate.

No use for one now being I only go out 2-3 times a month and all on the back roads. I was going to put in a cheap one anyway but found my truck does not have any switched power ports. So that would mean plugging/unplugging it every time (remembering to) or hard wire it - not worth it to me to tear the upper console apart only to have it not go back together properly.

One great detail if you are on the road a lot like Blake - you have instant proof if you are in an accident. Years ago when an old drunk guy pulled across in front of me when I was doing 55mph - it was a 3 month battle to prove what actually happened. With a dash cam running it would have been proven instantly.
The biggest reason I wanted one was all the crazy stuff I've seen over the years that's either impossible to explain like the Dodge minivan someone turned into a tandem axle flatbed truck, or so crazy nobody would believe it like the guy last week pushing a skateboard stacked with stuff down the middle of a 50 MPH road, blocking traffic and holding up a peace sign. :laugh: Wyoming also offers quite a bit, whether it's gorgeous scenery like driving the Wind River Canyon, or challenging winter conditions. I had an incident last year on icy roads where a car missed hitting me by literally inches sliding sideways across the interstate.

Protection in the case of an accident is also a concern, especially in a company truck. At my last job we our parts delivery folks drove pickups with a logo on the side but nothing on the front. One of our guys was stopped in traffic, hit from behind and pushed into the vehicle in front of him. When he went to check on the driver of the car in front of him, the guy claimed he was fine and it was no big deal until seeing the company logo on the pickup. That's when he suddenly had a lot of pain and told the police he needed an ambulance. While that may or may not have been true, a camera would've proven that our guy was stopped a safe distance behind him before being hit by a car traveling at 60+ mph. Our trucks all have GPS monitoring on them already, but I'm surprised that more fleets aren't putting cameras in for their own protection.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I liked what you wrote, and I've been considering a dash cam for a while now. It has been really hard to boil things down to excellent recording quality, good overall feature set, and relatively low cost. I started looking around at the A119 and found that A) it's reasonably inexpensive for what it does and B) it comes in a variety of "brand names" (including SpyTec and Blueskysea) for very similar prices. Since I'm an Amazon Prime member, and the SpyTec version is available with Prime shipping, I'll go that route.

Also, it seems that there is a separate "add-on" piece that you would need if you wanted GPS tracking in your recordings. Using it places the camera slightly away from the windshield (it becomes the camera's mount point and adds a little gap) and apparently makes the camera just SLIGHTLY more visible from the outside. It also makes mounting and unmounting easier since the power cable stays connected to the mount and not the camera. Since I like this flexibility, I'll opt for the GPS version so I get the mount (although I'm not terribly concerned about having access to the GPS data, nor do I care to spend the money for special software to "decode" the GPS information).

Looks like a solid unit for $100.

Mine is the SpyTec from Amazon, with the GPS mount. :good2: The other advantage of the GPS kit is you get the regular mount also, so if you have a vehicle you drive less you can install it in there as well as the GPS in your primary driver.

Read the manual online, the included quick start guide doesn't go into all the details. If you use a memory card larger than 32 gb you'll have to format it, but that's easy. Camera setup is really simple, but I would caution you to adjust the video quality down. The standard quality is better than 1080P, and it took me over an hour to upload that three minute video last night. Part of that is my web connection I'm sure, but I think I can turn down the quality for smaller files without losing too much.

Full owner's manual.

·
Registered
21,562 Posts
As far as having them in company vehicles, they were just about to start testing them on us. I worked for one of the biggest US Mail contractors east of the Mississippi and our company did a lot of beta testing of new technology for them. Our trucks computer and GPS were already tied to the USPS's intranet.

They were just starting to test the cameras when I left - they would be tied to the Qual-Comm and GPS. I would have been all for it except for the part of a second camera that was on the driver. That would be kind of creepy I think......

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Because I left it on, the camera recorded the parking lot while I was in the store. It records in three minute videos, and that one just happened to end right there. When the memory card is full (mine is a 64 gb) it automatically begins overwriting the oldest videos with new ones. You can lock particular sections of video so that they don't get overwritten, and it also has a button to take a photograph. If I had turned the camera off but left it plugged in, it still has a shock sensor so that if something stuck my truck hard enough it would begin recording and save the previous 10 or 20 seconds. Like you said though, it only helps if the impact is in view of the camera.
Interesting that you posted this. A number of things that I read about this series of camera on DashCamTalk specifically stated that this camera does NOT record in intervals. Instead, it's a seamless continuous recording and you would use the "Emergency" button to make a copy of the previous three minutes that would be saved off to a different area of the memory card.

Maybe it's an option as to how it records?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting that you posted this. A number of things that I read about this series of camera on DashCamTalk specifically stated that this camera does NOT record in intervals. Instead, it's a seamless continuous recording and you would use the "Emergency" button to make a copy of the previous three minutes that would be saved off to a different area of the memory card.

Maybe it's an option as to how it records?
From the manual:

Loop Recording

1. Loop recording starts by default automatically when power is supplied to thecamera.
2. The elapsed time for each video file can be set to: 1/2/3/5/10 minutes.
3. When there is insuffcient space on the MicroSD card, loop recording will automati-cally overwrite the oldest files one by one.

4. Loop recording files are saved in the memory card under the folder: \DCIM\Movie.

Emergency Recording

1. Automatic emergency recording

This is activated when the G-sensor is turned on and a collision occurs. The currentfootage is locked automatically to avoid being overwritten by loop recording.

Note: The sensitivity of the collision-sensing feature can be adjusted in settingsunder the G-sensor option.

2. Manual emergency recording

Pressing the emergency recording (the OK) button while recording will lock currentfootage to avoid being overwritten by loop recording. An exclamation point in a yellowtriangle will briefly appear on the screen. Upon playing back the scene, a key iconwill indicate that the file is protected.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'll have to go back and find the info I had been previously reading. Locking of "current" footage is not always useful and the posts were touting the continuous recording as significantly advantageous as a result.

When you lock only the "current" footage, it's possible that the impact happened milliseconds after the switch from the "previous" footage. As a result, everything leading up to the impact, could potentially be lost.

On the flip side, a 64Gig card allows for up to seven hours of recording and there's no battery in the device. So, once power is cut, it should write out the "current" file and end. Pull the card, and you should have access to whatever you need.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You can adjust the lock settings to include more previous footage, depending on the video quality.

Tip: Bumped or not, if you see a noteworthy incident while the camera is recordingthat’s a keeper, meaning the video is worth protecting from being erased later duringloop recording, hold down the center button with the triangle icon until a yellow trianglewith an exclamation point appears on screen indicating that the video currently beingrecorded will be protected. Upon playing back the video, a key icon will appear in theupper left corner indicating that the file is protected and will not be erased automaticallyas are unprotected files.
1. For a 1440p video, the camera will lock the current whole file, and save it underMOVIE\RO.
2. For 1080p 60 fps mode, the camera will lock and save a 35-second file (15 secondsbefore the button was pressed and 20 seconds after) and saved under the movie\EMRsubdirectory and as a copy in the MOVIE directory.
3. For the 1080p 30 fps mode, the camera will lock and save a 40-second file (20seconds before and 20 seconds after and saved under movie\EMR and as a copy inthe MOVIE directory.
LDWS
The Lane Departure Warning System causes the camera to beep repetitively whenthe vehicle moves out of lane. The default is off.
FCWS
The Forward Collision Warning System causes the camera to beep repetitively whendetecting an obstacle ahead. The default is off.
Date Stamp
The data stamp is normally superimposed on a corner of the picture, but you candisable it on recordings going forward.

There was one card that was supposed to be good for 13 hours, I think it was the 64 but it may be the 128. At the rate I drive a 7 hour card will be overwritten just about daily, which is okay so long as I lock anything important.

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
Mine is the SpyTec from Amazon, with the GPS mount. :good2: The other advantage of the GPS kit is you get the regular mount also, so if you have a vehicle you drive less you can install it in there as well as the GPS in your primary driver.

Read the manual online, the included quick start guide doesn't go into all the details. If you use a memory card larger than 32 gb you'll have to format it, but that's easy. Camera setup is really simple, but I would caution you to adjust the video quality down. The standard quality is better than 1080P, and it took me over an hour to upload that three minute video last night. Part of that is my web connection I'm sure, but I think I can turn down the quality for smaller files without losing too much.

Full owner's manual.
That gizmo has a lot of features. :good2: It's too bad the clock on it isn't self setting to the NIST atomic clocks.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Mounted it in the work truck and let it run today. Overall it did well, I have a few video snippets to upload. I turned the resolution down from 1440 to 1080x60 FPS, and it still says it will take over an hour to upload a three minute video. I can turn it down to 720, I'll see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, then it may just be my internet connection. If that's the case I'll turn the quality back up and set it to upload when I go to bed.

Attached is a photo I took with it. Video quality is similar, pretty clear.

scenery.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a video I uploaded last night. On my computer, playing the file is very clear and crisp but once uploaded to YouTube it seems to have gotten much grainier. I don't know if something was lost in the upload process or if it's just me, but the photo I posted is crisp and clean, the uploaded video does not seem to be as good. I'll turn the resolution back up on the camera today and try it again.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts