Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not the best time of year here in the north east but I was able to find a used 448 with the proper tractor mounting plates. I been looking for a long time...Picture is as mounted at the dealer - had them take delivery of the backhoe and install the plates. I am very excited but will be removing the backhoe and reattaching the blade when she gets home this week. I am still without power and had nothing better to do so I headed over to the dealer - didn't tell my wife I took a picture (not the greatest picture either) as she would just shake her head but I think you all will understand..,. It sure is heavy - almost looks like the tractor will tip backwards! I love snow but I am ready for spring...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391914906.748009.jpg

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Looks good, would love to find a used backhoe...they are very hard to find. Enjoy

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,053 Posts
Looks to me like it belongs on YOUR tractor 93Mustang, Just Sayin!:good2:

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
Nice rig. You'll get a lot of use out of it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You will love it and it looks great on your tractor!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am quite excited to use it and appreciate the responses. Can't seem to shake the snow here in PA so I had to remove it today. I of course had trouble removing it - the rockshafts would not lift it enough to remove the pins so I used the stabilizers. Then I was kind of stuck with the stabalizers on the ground. I plugged in the rocks haft again and lowered it while letting out pressure from the stabalizers though the backhoe is still not fully on the ground. What should I have done differently? Thank you for any advice- Dana

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,053 Posts
93Mustang, Not sure how yours works but with the 650 and the 2320 I raise the BH using the stabilizes, remove the pins, pull away a little, lower the BH to the ground (onto two 4x4's), raise the stabilizes then disconnected the hydraulics.

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
Somewhere (here and/or TBN) there is instructions on adjusting the rockshaft to fix that problem.

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
93Mustang, Not sure how yours works but with the 650 and the 2320 I raise the BH using the stabilizes, remove the pins, pull away a little, lower the BH to the ground (onto two 4x4's), raise the stabilizes then disconnected the hydraulics.
All the above except , after lowering BH onto two 6x6's , raise the stabilizes just off the ground , disconnect the hyd ,then lower the stabilizers to the ground. I don't know if I 'm right doing it this way but always have.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,053 Posts
All the above except , after lowering BH onto two 6x6's , raise the stabilizes just off the ground , disconnect the hyd ,then lower the stabilizers to the ground. I don't know if I 'm right doing it this way but always have.
I raise them cause I need the room otherwise I'd lower them also.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
160 Posts
I built one of the many kinds of dollies you see for the 260 (mine looks like a letter T with a slightly wide foot on the T for stability. The main assembly sits on the crossbar of the T and the bucket rests near the bottom of the T). Because I want to be able to roll it, and because it takes much less room, I run the stabilizers all the way up and then run a small ratchet strap (those little red ones that hardly hold anything) between the stabilizer feet. I flip the feet upside-down and hook from outside edge to outside edge. I haven't had to adjust the length of that strap in 3 years, there is enough play in the legs and feet to just unhook it later without unlatching the ratchet... so it's pretty easy and simple and keeps the legs up nicely.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You need to download the manual and it will tell you to adjust the rocker arms so they will go higher. It ends up that they will go into relief so what you do is raise them all the way up and then shut the tractor off so you aren't over stressing the system, then you can pull the pins and start the tractor and lower it down to the ground. It's designed to sit on the belly of the unit. I encountered the same problem the first time I went to remove my used 448 backhoe that I installed. The only bad thing is once you adjust the rocker arms you cant use the travel lock position anymore, I just make sure I stop it before I hear any squealing from being in relief. All of this was covered in the manual I downloaded online.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the responses. I have a tech manual and found the details regarding adjusting the rockshaft arms. I need to measure first to see where i am at.
This is the current position of the backhoe. Ashamed! Will need to attach the hydraulics to get it straightened out before I can attach it. At the rate we are receiving snow here in eastern pa, (another few inches today) that may be a while!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392483786.079104.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392483800.210164.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got my first "seat time" today on the new to me backhoe. Not very efficient yet with the controls but had a blast pulling two stumps.
I am going to enjoy having this thing. The rest of the afternoon will be spent with the grapple and chain saw starting the cleanup from the February ice storm.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394990256.235258.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394990265.519173.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
Digging stumps is good BH practice. There is a knack to it. Been doing it about 40 years on & off. You can usually remove them without moving the machine much. Work around the outer perimeter of the stump from one side and break the roots a couple of feet away from the trunk. Don't do any excavating just work at the roots. You can usually get at it from one side. Once you've worked your way around the stump get the bucket under it and attempt to loosen it. Then pull the stump from the top and they usually roll right out. Flip it over and loosen the soil around the roots and that's it. I usually try to leave a couple of feet of stump above the grade so I use it as leverage to loosen things up.

Have fun!
Frank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts