Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a promotion, and will be getting a company vehicle again. I had a 2016 Subaru Outback for a daily driver, and didn’t want that just sitting around, so I figured I would either sell it or trade it on a pickup. I haven’t owned a pickup for about 20 years!
I forgot how much I hate shopping for used cars...too many variables. With new, you just compare prices!
Anyway, my budget kept growing (started out wanting a beater). I ran across a 2013 Chevy 2500hd crew cab with 18,000 miles on it, and in pristine condition—one Owner. Set up exactly the way I wanted! So I made the leap. I would have took a 1 ton, but they are as rare as hen’s teeth. It’s utterly amazing the glut of 1/2 ton trucks out there! I bet there is at least 100-200 used 1/2 tons for every 3/4 ton...then 10-15 3/4 tons for every 1 ton. I’m sure glad it’s over; it kind of consumes you! If you don’t jump on the good ones they tend to sell quick.

Now I need a 16 foot gooseneck livestock trailer, and a deck over, and a small utility trailer....

EC0ACC77-C041-4489-884D-EDFB0CCD58FE.jpeg

·
Premium Member
13,934 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Creampuff!
6 litre engine I assume, should run darn well for years.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Creampuff!
6 litre engine I assume, should run darn well for years.
Yes 6.0 with 3.73 rear end. I might have liked a 4.10 rear end better, but they seem to be pretty rare.
My local Chevy dealer service manager says the 6.0 is a great motor, but to watch out for broken exhaust manifold bolts.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Nice find Arlen :good2::good2:

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Arlen, you got me curious about how many pickups are available around my area, since I had no problem when looking for my F250 in early 2015. Here are some screen shots of cars.com showing available Ford and Chev pickups available in a 75 mile radius of me. Seems to be plenty of available units, although more Fords than Chev, which stands to reason since more Fords are sold. One thing I did notice was that the Fords were generally of higher mileage before they hit the market. That was my case as my F250 had 138,000 miles on it when I bought it and it was only 4 years old. However, prices were too high around here. I ended up buying my F250 in Oklahoma. It was a Texas work truck. Where you have an issue is trying to find a low mileage 3/4 or 1 ton pickup as they are generally work trucks. It is easier to find a 1/2 ton pickup with low mileage. And if you do find one, it will have a high price tag. Enough so, that it might be better to buy new. If you buy last years model after the new models come out, you can find some good bargains. Sometimes $10,000 to $20,000 savings.

F150 836 units = 80%
F250 138 units = 13%
F350 67 units = 6%
1041 total

Chev 1500 490 units = 80%
Chev 2500 86 units = 14%
Chev 3500 30 units = 5%
606 total

Your calculations do not appear to be far off as to the availability of heavier duty units. It was surprising to me to find that the % was pretty much the same between the two brands, although I believe more of the Ford units will be work trucks.

Dave

F150.jpg

F250.jpg

F350.jpg

chev1500.jpg

chev1500.jpg

chev3500.jpg

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Yes 6.0 with 3.73 rear end. I might have liked a 4.10 rear end better, but they seem to be pretty rare.
My local Chevy dealer service manager says the 6.0 is a great motor, but to watch out for broken exhaust manifold bolts.

Great motors for sure. I have a 6.0 in my 2001 silverado with 220K on it. Runs smooth as silk and has great oil pressure. Just watch out for rear main seal leaks. mine was pretty bad so I changed it at 219K when I had the transmission out. The only other issue I've had are knock sensors going bad, but they don't affect operation at all.

My dad has one just like yours, except his is a 2012 model and is summit white instead of slate-ish colored like yours.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great motors for sure. I have a 6.0 in my 2001 silverado with 220K on it. Runs smooth as silk and has great oil pressure. Just watch out for rear main seal leaks. mine was pretty bad so I changed it at 219K when I had the transmission out. The only other issue I've had are knock sensors going bad, but they don't affect operation at all.

My dad has one just like yours, except his is a 2012 model and is summit white instead of slate-ish colored like yours.
Does your dad pull a gooseneck with it? I’m curious how the 3.73 performs.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

I pull a 31 Ft gooseneck tandem dually deckover with my F250 6.2L and 3.73 axle with no problem. I only turn 1800 RPM at 70 MPH, but am able to pull most of the time in 6th gear. Top two gears are overdrive. I gross around 22,000 lbs with my 4066R, loader and 110 inch RFM loaded.

Dave

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
TL;Dr at end, btw.

No. However, he and I have both pulled a 16' bumper pull livestock trailer with them, totaling near 10k at times, and have had no issues. They both pull equally well, his has a class 5 hitch and mine has the stock factory hitch, which i think is class 3 (which I know that I need to look into upgrading. Don't kill me:laugh:)

So I just looked in the glove box on my truck, and I discovered that I actually have 4.10 gears and a g80 differential. This changes my answer a little. You are never going to get super great performance with a 6.0 and 4.10. It tows really nice, but on hills fully loaded, you need to hit the gas. There is a massive hill right outside of Wycliffe heading into Celestine IN thats about 15 degrees for half mile or so. There is another hill further down the line thats about 10-15 degrees for a mile and a half. The truck takes it fine, but at full load, it'll go to 2nd (4 speed trans) to keep you at 50 MPH.

Enough with my ramblings. TR;Dr is his pulls just fine with 3.73 gears. Mine pulls great with 4.10 gears. there is no noticeable difference in pulling between the 2, but keep in mind that if you've run a diesel with 4.10 gears, you will probably be disappointed in the 6.0 with 4.10s or 3.73s

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TL;Dr at end, btw.

No. However, he and I have both pulled a 16' bumper pull livestock trailer with them, totaling near 10k at times, and have had no issues. They both pull equally well, his has a class 5 hitch and mine has the stock factory hitch, which i think is class 3 (which I know that I need to look into upgrading. Don't kill me:laugh:)

So I just looked in the glove box on my truck, and I discovered that I actually have 4.10 gears and a g80 differential. This changes my answer a little. You are never going to get super great performance with a 6.0 and 4.10. It tows really nice, but on hills fully loaded, you need to hit the gas. There is a massive hill right outside of Wycliffe heading into Celestine IN thats about 15 degrees for half mile or so. There is another hill further down the line thats about 10-15 degrees for a mile and a half. The truck takes it fine, but at full load, it'll go to 2nd (4 speed trans) to keep you at 50 MPH.

Enough with my ramblings. TR;Dr is his pulls just fine with 3.73 gears. Mine pulls great with 4.10 gears. there is no noticeable difference in pulling between the 2, but keep in mind that if you've run a diesel with 4.10 gears, you will probably be disappointed in the 6.0 with 4.10s or 3.73s
After looking at my build codes (GT5 and G80) it appears that I actually do have a 4.10 G80 diff. ...funny the guy told me he thought it was a 3.73:dunno: i’m Glad I guess, beings that it’s not a daily driver

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
After looking at my build codes (GT5 and G80) it appears that I actually do have a 4.10 G80 diff. ...funny the guy told me he thought it was a 3.73:dunno: i’m Glad I guess, beings that it’s not a daily driver
I have a 26 gallon tank. I get around 250-275 miles per tank, so around 10-12 MPG. I really can't complain. The new 6.0s get really good mileage compared to mine. I think dad gets around 450 or 500 on a 30 gallon tank.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
By the way, what tires and rims do you have? I have 16" rims with LT245/75R16's, and my dad has LT275/75R18 on 18" rims.

The problem with this is that his feels less stable on fast corners with a trailer because of the massive sidewalls. If you have big tires, you may want to get smaller ones so that you don't feel like you're going to slide off the road with a trailer on a fast corner.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, what tires and rims do you have? I have 16" rims with LT245/75R16's, and my dad has LT275/75R18 on 18" rims.

The problem with this is that his feels less stable on fast corners with a trailer because of the massive sidewalls. If you have big tires, you may want to get smaller ones so that you don't feel like you're going to slide off the road with a trailer on a fast corner.
I have 18’s, but I don’t do anything fast:laugh:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I have 18’s, but I don’t do anything fast:laugh:
Let me rephrase. On the highway with a 60MPH speed limit, you have to really cram the brakes to restore the feeling of stability on a corner with a trailer. On mine, you don't have to do that.

My point is that if you have a large sidewall tire, you might need to be prepared for some unstable feelings. :shift:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts

I have an 02 with 6.0. Besides passenger side manifold bolt, intake gasket went, and a/c compressor.
I love the truck though still.
Fixin to do brakes.

Good luck with your new truck arlen!
I like those style rims.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts