Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Now that you've put all that lubricant on the disk you are going to have to split the tractor and replace. You'll have a slipping clutch after all the contaminants are on the disk. The hub is likely seized on the trans input shaft, not actually seized to the flywheel.

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
Now that you've put all that lubricant on the disk you are going to have to split the tractor and replace. You'll have a slipping clutch after all the contaminants are on the disk. The hub is likely seized on the trans input shaft, not actually seized to the flywheel.
I wonder about that but I will bet it doesn’t slip. The disk hub can be siezed to the input shaft but it only effects disassembly, not operation. The disk sticking to the flywheel is what is causing it not to release.

The brake cleaner will evaporate, oil might be a bigger issue but the brake cleaner will also wash it away. I am not sure these old fords have enough power to slip the clutch.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I wonder about that but I will bet it doesn’t slip. The disk hub can be siezed to the input shaft but it only effects disassembly, not operation. The disk sticking to the flywheel is what is causing it not to release.
If the hub is stuck on the input shaft it will keep the disc against the flywheel and not release

Ihe brake cleaner will evaporate, oil might be a bigger issue but the brake cleaner will also wash it away. I am not sure these old fords have enough power to slip the clutch.:laugh:
They have enough torque to pull a two bottom plow, they will slip a contaminated clutch

·
Premium Member
12,678 Posts

The brake cleaner will evaporate, oil might be a bigger issue but the brake cleaner will also wash it away. I am not sure these old fords have enough power to slip the clutch.:laugh:
I'm not so sure about that. I'll bet my old 9N with loaded rear tires could drag my 2720 all over the yard until it cried for it's momma. Even with all that weight it would still spin a tire before the clutch would ever slip.

That old Ford with a 6-foot rear blade could pile snow 8-feet tall. I sure can't do that with my 2-series.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Victory

More on the story later

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Victory

More on the story later

How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

I'll tell you tomorrow.....

Leave us hanging like this, what's up with that? :lol:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

I'll tell you tomorrow.....

Leave us hanging like this, what's up with that? :lol:
JR was hung over bad...He's payin for it in the Hot sun now.

Big ole grin on His face...Test driving on our 1/2 mile driveway......:bigthumb:

All is good...Gotta address wiring ,hydro oil ,other odds and ends.

Kubota dealer was having a barn sale...picked up a Stack ,going back for a bumper..He gave us half a driveline for the mower.

It was a horrible fight..lots of cussing..bout backhanded JR a couple times.

Lube squirt Pry ..my job. JR had a SS slim jim He was working between disk /FW/PP.

Finally we had enough...bolted back together....put it in 3rd and hit the starter...WHAMO...it poped free.

ALL this with the mini split ..5/8"...worked slick.

I need a drink.

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
what in the world is a Stack:unknown:a half of a driveline for what??

glad to hear u got the ole girl freed up-now what--u gonna let JR drive it while hung over:mocking:

Reactions: rtgt and Herminator

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
what in the world is a Stack:unknown:a half of a driveline for what??

glad to hear u got the ole girl freed up-now what--u gonna let JR drive it while hung over:mocking:

Exhaust stack.

This has low rider field burner exhaust now..will either convert to verticle stack or use as a heat sheilded down pipe.

Price was right...were makeing do with old school methods..No Air tools. Stop , Think , wrench...its all cast parts.

Whole exhaust needs a redo....got a cherry bomb in the shop somewhere that may get put to use.

He's still gone....all is working good....trying to see if governor is doing its thing......Got to educate me people.

:munch:

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. I'll bet my old 9N with loaded rear tires could drag my 2720 all over the yard until it cried for it's momma. Even with all that weight it would still spin a tire before the clutch would ever slip.

That old Ford with a 6-foot rear blade could pile snow 8-feet tall. I sure can't do that with my 2-series.
I know. Been on or around farms all my life, yet never really saw one of these until we got one at our Lions park. Some of it was 8n, some 9n, got to know it very well. They just never seem like a real tractor just from the look, yet they are every where and typically run well. I will say it was a smooth running tractor.

Duke, that is great news. I figured you would drown it or get it going. Persistence.:good2:

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
I know. Been on or around farms all my life, yet never really saw one of these until we got one at our Lions park. Some of it was 8n, some 9n, got to know it very well. They just never seem like a real tractor just from the look, yet they are every where and typically run well. I will say it was a smooth running tractor.

Duke, that is great news. I figured you would drown it or get it going. Persistence.:good2:
My favorite 8N's are the ones with the flat head V-8 conversion.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
My favorite 8N's are the ones with the flat head V-8 conversion.:thumbup1gif:
I am activly looking for a flathead V8.... only contestants come with a attatched vehicle.

It will happen @ some point......This is JR's project...I have yet to sit in the seat. I'm the brain...He's the test pilot.

All is going good. Have an oil leak @ the governor..??..I think its also the oil pump??

Any input on this would be great....Next is putting the wiring back to original...Its a clustered mess just hanging around.

And then.......were running neg ground.....ALL WRONG....at some point we have to switch posts on the battery and hope it still starts.

Clearily not charging...JR is good at electrons....as good as drinking anyhow...He's on a mission now cause it don't leave my place till everything is in proper order.

Have great brakes...No sign of cluth slipping.pulling the hill in 3rd...Has death wobble in 4th..alignment is easy....Down to just tidy up and ready to mow.

Biggest fear was coolant leaks.....all good

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a '47 2N, I keep the clutch pressed and put a block of wood in to hold it down when not in use.

I got my 2025R Gen 1 to replace its functionality so I haven't used it in a long time. I do miss the hand crank 3 point hitch arm adjuster that you can do from the seat though.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've got a '47 2N, I keep the clutch pressed and put a block of wood in to hold it down when not in use.

I got my 2025R Gen 1 to replace its functionality so I haven't used it in a long time. I do miss the hand crank 3 point hitch arm adjuster that you can do from the seat though.

That was the greatest invention since sliced bread...why NO One adopted it is a mystery...we hit this one with the grease gun and its werking perfect..

Already have the "block" in place...Got any info on the governor..??....Its a small issue with a big leak at the moment.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sounds great. I would change it to 12V but that's just me.

I'm smellin what your steppin in.

If the Genny turns out to be Bad...It gets the 1 wire chevy fix.

Works great in my V8 samurI conversion...already looking for "MY" 8n for a flathead v8 swap.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Found a strange object during the mini split.

Sent pics to rtgt .....he may post later or whenever.

Fished out a large washer... probly 2" diameter...odd shaped iner...has 2 flat spots and has been departed.. well..maybe deported. Something happened to split it.

No clue where its from....makes no sense.

Pics will show found object/ new exhaust part and tools used for un Stuck.

don't hold your breath....Thank you Kevin..:flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
I'm smellin what your steppin in.
You realize I am on my third glass of Jack and your sending me pictures to post.......:lol:

Hope this works.

output55.jpg

output56.jpg

No idea what I just posted, but here they are........maybe.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts