Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Many thanks....I'm on way too many Dumb & cokes....Flawless job on pics..:bigthumb:

So What is this washer thing people>...????

:munch:

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
You realize I am on my third glass of Jack and your sending me pictures to post.......:lol:

Just wait until secretaries day. That will be the big payoff.:good2:

So What is this washer thing people>...????

Boy does that look familiar. I was looking on STEINER. Doesn’t look like it goes on the starter. Don’t see it in the clutch kit.

Could it be a thrust washer for the shaft that runs accross inside the bell housing to hold the throw out bearing? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Just wait until secretaries day. That will be the big payoff.:good2:

Boy does that look familiar. I was looking on STEINER. Doesn’t look like it goes on the starter. Don’t see it in the clutch kit.

Could it be a thrust washer for the shaft that runs accross inside the bell housing to hold the throw out bearing? :dunno:

Its entirely possible its a starter part..

We did not have to pull starter for the mini split....:flag_of_truce:as I was not looking forward to that process again.

It can't have come from the clutch...(I think) do to its shape.

Starter makes sense.....When JR comes to His senses ....I'll have Him look into this.

The starter Bendix is a strange animal....I almost ( did) made a fatal mistake fussing with it.

note to self..never turn the gear......only way to return it to normal is under power hooked to flywheel.

Makes the re-install a HUGE pita

It was odd to see this piece.....still a mystery till confirmed.

td

All internal shafts seem to be 1"....there are a couple. 1 for clutch. 1 for left side Brake that runs through Bell Housing.

Washer was under a internal load when separating..by my theory. It looks and is spread apart...Starter part is best guess till confirmed.

The size is proper for a Bendix part......perhaps a previous starter as the one currently in tractor is intact.

Through out bearing looked like it was put in last week....lots of strange in this project.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I’m not sure what the washer thing is.
Your oil leak at the governor may be from the external oil line that runs to the governor housing.
Wiring harness is available on EBay or Amazon probably as cheap as you can make one yourself.
If you don’t have one, pick up a IT shop manual for the N. They’re less than $20 and they do a decent job of breaking down each component and how to repair it.
You’ve done a great job getting the old machine up and going!

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Like I said that washer is familiar and it being broke is familiar. I am wondering if that is the part that fell down in from the starter when I had to do it. Since your starter is working and for some reason I think that is a part that helps hold the spring on, I wonder if that is a part from an old starter.:dunno:

A lot could’ve happened on this tractor in the last 70 years.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
My Deere '58 420 tractor had a crank for the lift on the right side to adjust from the seat.. shown here in parts..
Yep ..same similar system.
Theres probly more..I'd like one on both sides.

Somewhere....its been years..I saw one that had a wire bail that would hang down over handle and hold it in-line with the lift link and keep it from turning......could have been a 8n....maybe mines just missing. I'll have to look for the holes.

Jr. was a no show....to much celebration. He did make it to the Library and printed out some wiring diagrams.

I investigated the Governor as the leak has to be fixed.....Learned plenty. like don't switch the 2 bolts or you will quickly
shear the timing gear and probly smoke the cam.

Even with the simple stuff....directions are plenty handy.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think that washer/C clip is left over stuff from sometime in the past a starter drive ate itself up in there.:dunno:

Have you looked at the Just8N site. Great folks and good stuff. i spent a small bundle there, but am pleased.

·
Registered
63 Posts

My farmall cub will stick it's clutch.
You might want to try to put in 3rd gear, push in the clutch pedal and hold it down with a strap, and rock the tractor, or even try to jolt it with a tow strap.
I had that break them free, if not stuck too bad
Good luck

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes I found their site......

Got some parts to order....spent the last 2 days breaking small parts....even after reading how not toooo...:banghead:

Its running again but cobbled up fuel line /throttle linkage.....made one huge mess changing hydro oil.

Generator is kaput......talked to the local rebuilder guy....6v parts have skyrocketed.

He just finished one for a Deere...$575.oo

I'm not sure whats gonna happen here. We have 2 batterys and may just run it on those till their dead and convert.

note to self....don't spray carb cleaner in a working carb.....you'll spend half a day getting back to where you started.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good little starter tractors but they are not getting any younger. Let me see if I can send you some pictures of my children. KIMG1492.jpeg KIMG1495.jpeg Still not sure how I did that and it only took 30 minutes. I surprise myself sometimes even. My son on the little gray tractor is now 24. I gave that tractor to my daughter. Later I found out the block was cracked and sold it at auction.
She has never forgiven me and is mad all over again every time she sees one. She loved that tractor and would drive the wheels off of it. I wanted to go back and look at your picture but am afraid I will loose my post. Thanking it could go on the left hand clutch shaft. I it works drive it. I had the blue one for 27 years. Both of them looked worse than yours when a got them. Hope you have fun with them and teach junior something.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Good little starter tractors but they are not getting any younger. Let me see if I can send you some pictures of my children.
Still not sure how I did that and it only took 30 minutes. I surprise myself sometimes even. My son on the little gray tractor is now 24. I gave that tractor to my daughter. Later I found out the block was cracked and sold it at auction.
She has never forgiven me and is mad all over again every time she sees one. She loved that tractor and would drive the wheels off of it. I wanted to go back and look at your picture but am afraid I will loose my post. Thanking it could go on the left hand clutch shaft. I it works drive it. I had the blue one for 27 years. Both of them looked worse than yours when a got them. Hope you have fun with them and teach junior something.

Wow...That one had the delux bumper/grill gard....Buy another. They made a half million. There all over CL. 800 --8500.

Cracked blocks are common.....usually just in front of starter....Many have been jb welded and still going strong.

If I live long enough a Flathead V8 is in my future...like I need another project..These are cool simple machines that most anyone can have fun with and yet still put to work mowing or whatever..parades or just taking the garbage can down the hill.
Great pics.

td

·
Registered
52 Posts
Somebody gobed up the deck while getting the head off.
She graduated from starter tractors and probably would not go back anyway.
The other day I told her I could use some help. Just look at the stand in she dropped off. KIMG1601(1).jpeg
Still have an old 9N-2N hybrid in the bushes but he already knows what A/C is. Tough decisions require tough choices. At least he has not come to work with a head ache.
If you ever had one 12V instead of 6 you would never do 6 again unless it was all original.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Good stuff above^^^^^^^^^

Jr. His woman & I spent Saturday..cleaning up loose ends.

Got the Factory oil bath air cleaner as clean as possible...Hour & a 1/2 in the parts washer poking ,scraping and flushing out 70 yrs. of gunk.
Air cleaner and all related piping back in place and proper clamps installed.

All longer bolts from mini split removed & replaced with originals & ss washers.
Battery tray back in place...even switched back too Positive ground....It just don't care either way?....All is good...Genny is shot and not rebuildable.
Looking for a few cores to take to local sparky dude.

Last on list;
Change engine oil & clean screen if still in tack....some crazy thing in oil pan. Drain plug is ginormous..2 & 1/2"
Find good genny
Replace exhaust.
Governor gasket...2 in hand. Will do when oil change happens

Still just shy of 1100 $....running perfect and can only get better when plugs,points and clampety spark plug wires get done......for now.. don't fix whats working.

Floor board back on clutch side & pedal clamped down....Clutch seemed to survive all efforts to wreck it soo were good.

Raining an inch tomorrow so haveing it all sealed back up and under cover was a good thing.

Got Jr's new Trailer (home) moved to His place...life is good.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Got the Front axle widened today

Well it took a couple days...Bolts are fine thread and were rusted into the axle casting...:banghead:

Almost busted out the 1" air impact but restrained ...heat , beat ,lube , repeat...Success.:laugh:

Then there was the whole readjust the tie rod length...pretty much the same as above.

Had to drill a couple 1/16" holes in tie rod tube to pump it full of Kroil and whatever other lube was left from the Clutch debacle....Were golden.
Took a few test runs to get alignment back to a medium wobble.

Readjusted carb...again...Its a finiky beast...Pops right off hot or cold.
I think I found its happy place.

Tomorrow is oil change and see if this crazy screen thing is up above drain plug.

Then try to unseize the broken draft link part.
Mount over run clutch....
Try to adapt the radiater /brush gard Kubota thing.

Probly have a drink & watch Jr. test drive....We'll see.

to be continued.............

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Big day.....I must admit I was a bit hung this morning but powered through it.

Changed oil....Was glad to see the screen intact.... Heres the dealio;

Oil drain plug is near 3" in diameter and has a cage type screen probly 4" tall atatched to it.
Screen bumps up against bottom of oil pump and oil pick up tube is "inside" screen when all components are in place.
Clever design.

Had to remove Hood bolts to extract oil filter...only had to lift hood an inch but it was just one more step in the process.

Removed and cleaned Governor..installed new gasket....No leaks:bigthumb:

Installed over run clutch....another 2 minute job that took an hour...one small burr inside the clutch:banghead:

Installed some new sway chain shackles....again like above..Had to remove some Bubba'd up mess of snow chain repair links and sanitize the simple set up.

Jr. took enough laps on the 1/2 mile driveway to perfectly manage to run out of gas @ the Hyway....Rtv 900 towed Him home like a champ. Up hill all the way.

Imediatly put Him to werk with the Pressure washer to get the 1/2" of gunk off the rear wheels....seals have been leaking forever.

Ohh...Purpose off Hot laps was to get the alignment tuned....Were there. Took and old log skidder innertube and whittled up some bits to tighten up the rear of Front Axle ( radius rods)..Not sure what there called but run from Mid tractor and tie to front axle on each side.

Did remove draft control yoke...Heat, lube cool repeat a dozen times...with luck we can extract broken threaded rod from yoke...at some point

fussed with carb a bit more.....its just part of the game but I'll play.

Topped it off with a mini bbq and a Rum & coke...

List is getting shorter...but Its somewhat satisfying working on a chunk of Actual Real American Iron..Today:usa

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
A small but huge Victory...

After a many day fight..The broken threaded draft controll part has been extracted from draft control yoke.

Basicly its the part the top link of 3 point hooks too.

Now to hillbilly a repair section and that hurdle is done.:yahoo:

Exhaust , generator and its done.

Found another I'm thinking about.....:banghead:

ahhh...This one has the Howard auxillery transmission.

Allows full PTO speed but gears the tractor down in every gear. Mounts aft of trans.

The way more common Shermans mount inside the bell housing but gear the pto down = useless for pto work but great for plowing. I'm never plowing but slow mowing or tilling is an option with the Howard.

Its a ways away and more than I wanna pay but the first one thats popped up since I've been in the hunt with a Howard.

Did find a guy with 3 flathead v8's and some vintage performance parts....we'll see.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
So it turns out this threaded part is 5/8" x 24 threads per inch

Unobtainium

Fastenal bailed out of my town but I doubt they'd have it.

Everyone I talked too said go to a gun shop.......That guy dropped dead last month and the only other local dude is useless.

Found an old m60 or 249 bbl in my stash...right thread BUT it is LH thread..I would have sacrificed it:banghead:

NEED ..a chunk of bolt I can rob the threaded end off & a "tall " nut or 2

5/8" x 24 tpi....I guess some call it Superfine....standard is 18 tpi.

Grainger has a tap & die but its like 130$ for the pair.....Nope

any ideas..??

41 - 60 of 61 Posts