Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife has been wanting a dump trailer for a while, so we finally brought one home :).

We had decided on a 7K dual axle, partially because the weighted plates on the F-150 already accommodate the 7K car hauler. We looked at a few of the locally available choices (BigTex, Hawke and PJ) and settled with the PJ 5x10 7K dual axle. Dollars on the three makers we looked at were fairly close (< $600 range), and the PJ had, IMHO, the best combination of features and construction of those we considered.

The form factor should work well for how we are going to use it. The relatively low sides are easy to reach over and let even the 1025R dump fully with forks attached to the bucket when used here at the house site. The 5' width is easier for "reach over" and more handy in tight quarters. The system includes a 120v charger you can power with an extension cord via a covered plug port on the side of the equipment box. I plan to add one or two small solar panels to keep the battery topped off. The hydraulic dump mechanism is powered up & down.

A crank rollup cover is on order, I should be able to get it on in about a week. A big portion of the intended use is for removal of "woods trash" as we continue to clean up our mostly wooded 4.5 acre home site. It will also be good for mulch, gravel, etc. both around the house & the "acreage" down the road (20 acres inherited from the wife's family). Both of us are getting tired of having to handle stuff multiple times, so having the option to dump contents is going to be a real treat!

Nick

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
That sure is nice, PJ makes a really nice trailer IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Nce looking trailer should get a lot of work out of it. :good2::good2:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That is a really nice trailer, I see that being as handy as a fel on a tractor

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice nikdfish. :thumbup1gif:
Will the 1025R fit on it?
It might, without the FEL bucket (or maybe with it hanging over the front). I don't have ramps for it yet (but the ones from the Aluma car hauler might work ...)

Nick

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
That is one nice looking trailer, nephew and one of the members at church has a dump trailer. They can make a big job small .:bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,419 Posts
Now that is just a flat out super nice trailer! :good2:

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
Very nice trailer. Local Orange tractor dealer also sells Cam Superline and every time I stop in for a peak I always admire their dump trailers. I'd like one that was large enough to carry either of the rigs but the deck would need to be 16' - 18' long. Good luck. I'm sure you'll find it very useful.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
You're gonna be happy. . .

That is a really nice trailer, I see that being as handy as a fel on a tractor
I wish I had bought one years before I did. It's one of those things that you can live without but it's just much better to have one. For me, the combo of a FEL and a dump trailer is really nice. Either using the bucket for loose material or the grapple for brush it's really nice to load with the trailer and unload with a button. You won't look back on the purchase unless it's just to say, "Wish I had bought it sooner".

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Nice trailer. I have already decided, my next trailer will be a PJ. They are one of the best built that I have seen. Not saying there aren't other good trailers, although, PJ is really quality.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nice purchase! I have a 6' x12' 10,000 lb BriMar dump that I bought in 2010. I wish that I had purchased it years earlier. I bought it with a landscape tailgate, then added a standard tailgate later on. The landscape gate is super handy when hauling mulch. I can drive right up into the dump bed and unload the mulch with the FEL...no shoveling and minimal mess. With 2x10 top boards to extend the side walls, I can just reach over it with my FEL to load it when needed. My 1025R fits into the trailer with the FEL, so long as there's nothing on the 3pt.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I bought one, for my wife, about 4 years ago too. She was just my girlfriend at the time, and I'm pretty sure the trailer is why she married me....

Couple suggestions and questions:

- be very careful with the tailgate with dumping. you won't be able to see the back unless you get a wireless remote (a worthwhile investment, IMO), and if the gate is open accidentally - bendy, bendy......

- the battery on my trailer SUCKS. I'm not sure if I have a leaky ground, or something, but I can only got about 4 dumps per charge. It's so much so that I have wired a 2-0 line to the rear of my dodge to make it work.

You're gonna love that trailer - I should've had one 12 years ago. If only I had a girl worth buying one for back then......

-J.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Great pick on the wife. . .

I bought one, for my wife, about 4 years ago too. She was just my girlfriend at the time, and I'm pretty sure the trailer is why she married me....

Couple suggestions and questions:

- be very careful with the tailgate with dumping. you won't be able to see the back unless you get a wireless remote (a worthwhile investment, IMO), and if the gate is open accidentally - bendy, bendy......

- the battery on my trailer SUCKS. I'm not sure if I have a leaky ground, or something, but I can only got about 4 dumps per charge. It's so much so that I have wired a 2-0 line to the rear of my dodge to make it work.

You're gonna love that trailer - I should've had one 12 years ago. If only I had a girl worth buying one for back then......

-J.
You are right about the tailgate. The dump cylinder has more than enough power to mangle a gate that's halfway open. I have a wireless remote and will confess that I wouldn't have bought it except it was already on the trailer. After using it, I won't have a trailer without it.

So far, my battery is doing well but it's a fairly large deep cycle battery. I keep it topped off with a solar charger. I wish my truck charged it but it doesn't so nothing's perfect. Still I can pretty much use the trailer for most jobs and it will still dump. It does help that mine is gravity down so it's only using battery power for up.

I'm just happy my wife didn't complain too much when I bought it. I wasn't smart enough to explain it was all for her. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the parts in that I had ordered, so I installed the 10 watt solar charging system on the trailer. The controller is a simple 3A PWM type controller for lead acid.

The panel got placed on the lid via a couple of clips made from aluminum angle.

Leads were routed through holes under the panel.

The panel connects to the controller via Anderson Power Pole connectors so it can be disconnected if the controller is going to get disconnected from the battery. I added a blocking diode on the + lead between panel & controller since I don't know if it already has one internally.

The little green light says things are running :).

Nick

·
Registered
70 Posts
New Dump

You have purchased a very handy time saving tool that will be fun to use and every one will want to borrow!!

Let me mention one area to you that I can not see in your pictures and may not be a problem. However I have found sometimes that when they weld these trailers together they stitch weld, meaning the weld is 2" long then they skip 12"or more inches and weld 2" etc. The problem is that water enters in the area between the welds and the rusting starts inside where it has not been painted. Even if it was powder coated it will still rust. Take a look at the box along the sides ( where the reflectors are placed). If its welded solid or some one has already caulked the seams you are good to go. Check all the areas where metal is joined. If not sealed, clean the area with alcohol and seal all the seams with a good quality black silicone. It is time well spent to protect that investment.

:greentractorride:J-D Don

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Don! I'll take a closer look & see if I can find some potentially unsealed seams. One of the reasons we went with the PJ, along with the heavier sheet metal, was the way the bed was constructed. If I remember correctly, on each side, wall & bottom are one piece ( think "L") and welded with a seam down the middle. It had fewer joins in the bed than the others.

Nick

1 - 20 of 32 Posts