Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a box blade for my 1025r and wondering what size you all have and any other recommendations for repairing an old neglected road on our farm. :usa:greentractorride:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the Frontier 60 inch BB, while some say a 60 inch is too big for a 1025, I find that if you learn how to use it, you should be good to go. I have a add 1/4 mile driveway that was horrible when I moved in, I used the BB to smooth it out and add new material to the base. I am also adding new lanes around my property to get to pens and a new feed shed, and I will be using the BB to remove material 4 inches down to add 3/4 inch road pack. I have also used my BB to remove an area of grass to expand the back patio, it worked great for removing the old grass and soil.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I've put a ton of hours on my 60" box blade from Tractor Supply that cost less than the smaller green 48". The limitations of a 60" box blade will be no different than a 48". So consider maneuverability more than if it can handle it. I'm extremely happy with the 60" and have knocked out many projects with it. It weighs about 400lbs and is a beast. Not some tin foil junk.

Before paving the driveway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_RqnxNmV0M

After paving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9QWchzqN90

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...box-blade-5-ft

·
Registered
129 Posts
I to was looking to get a box blade at one time for driveway maint. So i started watching youtube videos about boxblading and videos of landplanes started popping up and how they are used and the end results. So i have changed up and will be getting a landplane probably next month. I have a rear blade so if i need to move alot of material i will use it, and the landplane to grade and smooth. Check out some videos before you decide. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
If it's an already established driveway simply in need of keep up, I would go with a land plane, a box blade can give you similar results but what you are talking about is what a land plane is designed for. The reason I went with a box blade is because a box blade an do a multitude of projects, more versatile than a land plane IMO.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I wanted to level and spread gravel as well as dig down about 8" for gravel sidewalks etc.

I chose the box blade because it fills low spots reducing the time to do the work . . . makes a more professional finish with my low level of experience

I went with 48" rather than the 60" as taking care of the tractor e.g. not overloading the tractor . . . I have lots of larger stones which I can remove with the ripper teeth that came with the box blade

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I am in the land plan camp as well. I used to fix the gravel road that we live on every couple weeks. This is because we live on a dead end road and where we pull out onto the county road it is a blind intersection to our left as it is on the backside of a hill. Crappy design but when it was built there wasn't as much traffic as today. Back then the gravel extended right to the edge of the Co Rd so as you tried to pull out people would spin their tires a bit and make huge pot holes. So, I would go down there with the FEL and BB to fix them. Finally got the city to pave the gravel road 20' back from the intersection so now we are taking off from asphalt.

For the work I was doing down there mainly moving large amounts of dirt, I think the BB was still the better choice. However on the way down there I would normally work on the washboarding and that was a little more difficult and where a landplane would do the trick better. Don't get me wrong, I could fix washboarding, it would just be easier with a LP than a BB. If you have a lot of potholes you are repairing then it is harder decision but you could address those with the FEL and then use the LP long term to keep up on it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I bought a 60" for my 1025R and traded it for a 48" one within 3 weeks. If and when you need to load it up, a 60" is too much for a 1025R to handle. Whenever I purchase an implement, I want it to be as versatile as possible. I realize that a 60" BB on a 1 series could probably do the intended task, but down the road you'll find and have other projects that require deeper scarifing and moving full boxes of material.

That said, I too am in the camp of landplane if your looking for a dedicated driveway maintainer.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I pull a 60 inch land plane with my 2305 and it does an awesome job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I to was looking to get a box blade at one time for driveway maint. So i started watching youtube videos about boxblading and videos of landplanes started popping up and how they are used and the end results. So i have changed up and will be getting a landplane probably next month. I have a rear blade so if i need to move alot of material i will use it, and the landplane to grade and smooth. Check out some videos before you decide. Good luck to you.
I hear you. I have access to a 6 foot blade which isn’t the same but it will dig my high side ditches and I hope to shape the road and the crown with the box blade.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm guessing it will work with both a 48" and 60". Not for certain, But I would think a 60" box blade full of gravel would maybe be a little heavy to pull. The downside of going to 48" is that it wont cover the width of your wheel base.

It also really depends on the manufacturer of the box blade you decide to get.

We have a 60" frontier box blade that probably weighs 500 lbs or so and our 2520 can use it pretty easily. We also have a 72 inch Gannon box blade that weighs around 1100 lbs, the 2520 doesn't have a chance of using that.

Here is a look at the two in action:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts