Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried out my new to me box blade this evening. It does a great job but crowning the driveway leaves a curb on each side from gravel spilling out of the box blade. Does this mean I have the box blade angled too steep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Tried out my new to me box blade this evening. It does a great job but crowning the driveway leaves a curb on each side from gravel spilling out of the box blade. Does this mean I have the box blade angled too steep?

2 things could be your problem. Yes you could have it angled to much to the one side. Plus judging from the pic it looks like you have the right side of the tractor lower than the left on what you are grading? That will make the right side dig in more.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 things could be your problem. Yes you could have it angled to much to the one side. Plus judging from the pic it looks like you have the right side of the tractor lower than the left on what you are grading? That will make the right side dig in more.
Just putting a crown in my gravel driveway. It is limestone. The last few rains have made it sloppy in some places where it had no crown.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Just putting a crown in my gravel driveway. It is limestone. The last few rains have made it sloppy in some places where it had no crown.

Basically, when you angle the box blade, this is what will happen since you are cutting more material on that side. Essentially, you just have to stop occasionally and bucket some of the excess stone out of the way.

Once you get the crown that you want in your driveway, then for dress up work, you will run the blade straight since the tractor and blade will be on the crown so then you will just want the blade to be at the same angle as the tractor.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically, when you angle the box blade, this is what will happen since you are cutting more material on that side. Essentially, you just have to stop occasionally and bucket some of the excess stone out of the way.

Once you get the crown that you want in your driveway, then for dress up work, you will run the blade straight since the tractor and blade will be on the crown so then you will just want the blade to be at the same angle as the tractor.
Makes sense. I think that’s what I was missing. I have a few lumpy areas to touch up this morning. Also I need to cut a couple of short drain ditches where water can flow off into the creek. I’ll angle the box blade for those then level it back out to smooth out in my turnaround area. Overall, the box blade is a superior tool to the back blade I was using before.

The slow rain we got yesterday and overnight helped keep the dust down and shows all the low spots where water pockets now pool up.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Makes sense. I think that’s what I was missing. I have a few lumpy areas to touch up this morning. Also I need to cut a couple of short drain ditches where water can flow off into the creek. I’ll angle the box blade for those then level it back out to smooth out in my turnaround area. Overall, the box blade is a superior tool to the back blade I was using before.

The slow rain we got yesterday and overnight helped keep the dust down and shows all the low spots where water pockets now pool up.

Yes they are. I have one but do not use mine hardly at all anymore since I paved my driveway. They are really nice when you have hydraulic top and tilt links. This makes there use so much easier since you can change the angle of cut and taper from the seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts