Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a 1025R can handle a 4 foot box blade but can it handle a 5 foot box blade? I reckon it could handle the 5 footer but would it cause unnecessary strain on the tractor? I ask all this because shopping around 4 footers seem to be a rare breed and when found, usually the same price as the 5 footers ( all new). Also, the used 5 footers seemed to be much more abundant than the 4 footers.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I'm sure you could use a 5-footer, but I know I've stopped mine dead with the 4-footer before.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I have a 5' and it's as big as I would recommen. Most of the time you will be in low AND 4wd. I don't spend much time with a full load (mostly a half load or less) so the extra foot when leveling is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
While you could use it, you will never be able to use it to it's true capability. Sort of like the tail wagging the dog. You would be far better off in the long run to have a 4 footer in my opinion.

Just my 2cents

·
Registered
498 Posts
Have 1025r
Have 5 foot Frontier box blade.
I have heavy clay soil...
I have filled the blade completely full of wet clay soil, rippers full down... NO PROBLEMS.
Ballast your machine and you can make full use of the 5 footer.
Yes, when it is pulling hard you'll be in 4wd.... Why else would we have it :mocking:.

NOTE....
BALLASTING IS IMPORTANT FOR MORE THAN JUST LOADER WORK. :mocking::bigthumb::mocking:

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
Have 1025r
Have 5 foot Frontier box blade.
I have heavy clay soil...
I have filled the blade completely full of wet clay soil, rippers full down... NO PROBLEMS.
Ballast your machine and you can make full use of the 5 footer.
Yes, when it is pulling hard you'll be in 4wd.... Why else would we have it :mocking:.

NOTE....
BALLASTING IS IMPORTANT FOR MORE THAN JUST LOADER WORK. :mocking::bigthumb::mocking:
Any pictures of that? Not many tractors pull a box blade full with full length rippers down that is equal to about 40% of it's total gross weight.

Very impressive indeed. :good2:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Any pictures of that? Not many tractors pull a box blade full with full length rippers down that is equal to about 40% of it's total gross weight.

Very impressive indeed. :good2:
I know you are kinda calling bs on that:lol:

I do not have action shots of that work so I guess pics or it didn't happen will have to be the case for now.

However just want to address your weight comment.
1025r shipping weight. No loader, no ballast etc. Approx. 1500 lbs.
BB2060 weight 465 lbs. (lets call it 500). 33% of tractor.

Add some ballast to the 1025r... lets say 300 lbs. total rear wheel weights and 9 70 lb suitcase weights on the front.

Now we are looking at almost 2500 lbs. tractor (heck add in loader mounts and operator and we are probably over that)

Now that big bad box blade is @ 20% of the tractor weight quite a way from your opening 40%. Hence my point about ballast on the tractor being important.

Just about every tractor out there today needs lots of steel bolted on to it to work well as you know.

Heck go to your local dealer and count the slabs bolted on to the machines its in the thousands of lbs...

They just don't ship our little 1 series tractors as ready to do any serious work because it is expensive and most of us don't do much serious work with them. We mow, drag a driveway, spread fertilizer, till our gardens etc. The weight isn't necessarily needed for that sort of work, and is even detrimental for some of it, mowing in particular may not want it.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts

I do not have action shots of that work so I guess pics or it didn't happen will have to be the case for now.

However just want to address your weight comment.
1025r shipping weight. No loader, no ballast etc. Approx. 1500 lbs.
BB2060 weight 465 lbs. (lets call it 500). 33% of tractor.

Add some ballast to the 1025r... lets say 300 lbs. total rear wheel weights and 9 70 lb suitcase weights on the front.

Now we are looking at almost 2500 lbs. tractor (heck add in loader mounts and operator and we are probably over that)

Now that big bad box blade is @ 20% of the tractor weight quite a way from your opening 40%. Hence my point about ballast on the tractor being important.

Just about every tractor out there today needs lots of steel bolted on to it to work well as you know.

Heck go to your local dealer and count the slabs bolted on to the machines its in the thousands of lbs...

They just don't ship our little 1 series tractors as ready to do any serious work because it is expensive and most of us don't do much serious work with them. We mow, drag a driveway, spread fertilizer, till our gardens etc. The weight isn't necessarily needed for that sort of work, and is even detrimental for some of it, mowing in particular may not want it.
Now add the weight of the material that has filled that box blade,(700-1000lbs?), Forget about the drag of the rippers etc. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but on a regular basis under pretty much most circumstances, truly hard to believe. :unknown:

Trust me, you are talking to the wrong guy about ballast. I have my 32 HP tractor that has a base weight of 2566lbs ballasted to 5000lbs which is the maximum recommend gross weight and my 75 HP 7300lb base weight machine ballasted to 12,400lbs. You don't need to tell me what a well ballasted machine can do.

Here are pics of my machines working in damp decomposed granite. If I don't watch and don't have the 3pt properly adjusted, they will stop the machines, and that is with no rippers in the ground.

The 1 series machines are great little machines, just very difficult to comprehend that they would do the same work in the same time frame as a machine 50-100% larger. Sort of like when I read how a 5000lb machine does the same work load as my 12,000lb machine, simply is not going to happen no matter what one wants to think.

Oh, and pictures don't always make skeptics into believers either.

I did a video having to do with hydraulics showing how things work. I had some actually accuse me of trick photography. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. :bye:

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Now add the weight of the material that has filled that box blade,(700-1000lbs?), Forget about the drag of the rippers etc. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but on a regular basis under pretty much most circumstances, truly hard to believe. :unknown:

Trust me, you are talking to the wrong guy about ballast. I have my 32 HP tractor that has a base weight of 2566lbs ballasted to 5000lbs which is the maximum recommend gross weight and my 75 HP 7300lb base weight machine ballasted to 12,400lbs. You don't need to tell me what a well ballasted machine can do.

Here are pics of my machines working in damp decomposed granite. If I don't watch and don't have the 3pt properly adjusted, they will stop the machines, and that is with no rippers in the ground.

The 1 series machines are great little machines, just very difficult to comprehend that they would do the same work in the same time frame as a machine 50-100% larger. Sort of like when I read how a 5000lb machine does the same work load as my 12,000lb machine, simply is not going to happen no matter what one wants to think.

Oh, and pictures don't always make skeptics into believers either.

I did a video having to do with hydraulics showing how things work. I had some actually accuse me of trick photography. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. :bye:

I wasn't trying to lecture you about ballast just trying to make sure everyone knew what I was talking about as your example really made my prior statement seem utterly impossible when it really wasn't.

I have seen your work and read many of your posts here on GTT.
You are one of the resources here on GTT whose input, and opinion, I place high value on due to your experience and thoughtfulness when looking at a project/situation/idea.

As you and many of our members/readers know there are lots of variables that effect the performance of an tractor in a given situation.
I am NOT saying a properly ballasted 25HP tractor can do the same amount of work as a properly ballasted 50 HP tractor or even a properly ballasted 32HP tractor.
It cannot.
It is physically impossible, the definition of Horsepower is work over time nothing can change that.

Obviously a larger tractor can work an implement harder, even to the point of breaking the implement in certain scenarios.

My earlier statement was an off the cuff response to the OP and wasn't complete enough really explain my position...

My input to this thread should be summed up as
  1. A properly ballasted 25HP 4wd tractor can do a surprising amount of work that many would not think it capable of
  2. Judging by the use most put their 1-Series to it is my experienced opinion that the OP will be happy with a 5 foot blade of reasonable weight. As 56Nine mentioned before the extra width comes in handy during levelling operations.
  3. You can always take a smaller bites if you bit off more that you can chew
Regarding the seeing is believing....

Sometime it is.....
shark_attack.jpg

Sometime it ain't...
Helicopter Shark.jpg

:mocking::mocking:

Just depends on what they want to believe..

(By the way if anyone didn't know or don't want to believe yes both of these are photoshops)

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts

I don't have action shots either. But I believe everything you said. Why? Because I too have a 5'er. This past spring I dropped the rippers all the way down, angled it so only the rippers would dig into the ground and ripped virgin ground going as deep as it was possible. I don't do any work with my tractor unless it's in low and for heavier work, in 4x4. Did great! Now I did not take the ground with me as I wanted to rip it only. Could I have gone down an inch to 3 inches of pulling the ground with it while doing this? I don't know as I didn't. But you can drop the rippers all the way down as far as possible and keep right on going. Do I think that it couldn't move a 5' BB full of dirt, no because I know it can. I have done this too but it was my driveway dirt and not field ground and I was only going a couple inches into the ground without using the rippers. The only down side of a 5 foot BB is the size might be to big in certain areas, tight spots. I don't have that problem. As for the OP's question. Yes it can handle it. With ease. As in eating a sandwich, you don't eat it in 1 bite. It's better to eat it with many bites. Doing some kinds of work is the same way.

Reactions: bama21fs

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
All advice from each of us that have different experiences with different conditions. All I can go by is what I have either done myself or have seen done professionally.

I deal with this stuff on a daily basis, a lot of people want to go big, or bigger when it accomplishes nothing. All I have for references is what I have and what I see is sold commercially. You don't see 100hp, 16,000lb industrial machines using 10' box blades. They use 7 & 8 footers and struggle with those at times. There is a reason for this size, because it is what works in most situations and conditions.

I'm not saying that the 5' box blades with the 1 series won't work, just that more than likely a 4 footer or even a 54" unit would work better most of the time. The more experience a person has, the more likely to be able to make good use of a larger implement. If you have a small parameter of conditions to work with and depending on those conditions, maybe a 5 footer works well a lot of the time. Too many variables to know for sure without being there in person.

I read all the time where people go big and either regret it or seem to be satisfied being able to say how big they have even if they can only use it to part of it's capability.

Only other thing that I can think of to add at this time is NEVER say never and for sure don't ever say that "it can't be done". Can't NEVER did anything. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know I personally will go with a 48 inch. I think any bigger undermines the compact size of the tractor. The way I see it is, an extra foot sweep isn't going to make a big difference unless you have a long, wide lane for access.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
While you could use it, you will never be able to use it to it's true capability. Sort of like the tail wagging the dog. You would be far better off in the long run to have a 4 footer in my opinion.

Just my 2cents
100% in agreement from my limited experience. You can easily stall with a 48" if you don't watch out. Think how much easier with anything large. And clearance, parking, etc., it only get more difficult.

Just my 2 cents . . . . . :unknown:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I used my 1025 commercially and I can say that 48" is all I would ever want to pull. Maybe in loose dirt it would pull a 5' but not in packed caliche, especially if you're going up hill. Ive never had the rappers down with a full box and have repeatedly made the tranny go into bypass while just pulling the box. It is also not uncommon to only be able to rip on the first hole down because if I put the all the way down it would stall. Again, this is with a 48".

People who say that the 1025 can handle big equipment just have a different expectation of how it should work or have never really tested it in various conditions.

So, mtnviewranch had it right when he stated, "it can pull it, just not to the full capabilities that it was designed for."

If you're just going to be smoothing out loose material with it angled back then go for the 5'. If you're actually going to use it and will be using it on packed roads and what not then get the 48".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts