Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Take from my image what you will for my idea.
This, when welded together, will provide a solid/removable set of castor wheels for both L & R sides of the box blade.
No need to fuss with getting anything "just so".
When you're done using the BB scraper, attach the wheel-sets with pins & clips. Set the BB Scraper down, roll away.
Push the whole works easily to where needed.

This configuration is figured for a 48" (max 300lb based on 3" steel wheeled castors) BB Scraper.
*modify as you see fit. This is a rough draft*
It can be modified for any size and weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
This looks like a cool project :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Impressive drawing as well. :good2:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This looks like a cool project :thumbup1gif:
Boy it's hot and humid today, with all the sun blocked by the smoke from the fires in our region. Too dang humid to be in the shop anymore today.
I don't have a shear. Wished I did. Tomorrow I make another trip to town to get my 50hr Service Kit from my dealer, and the rest of my awaited McMaster-Carr parts.
I managed to get the 2x2 angles cut. 15" was my length. I mocked up my trolley assemblies with 1/4" plywood between them for spacing. The sidewalls of my BB is 3/16", so 1/4" should do the trick for ease of use. Then I clamped the castor wheels on for visuals. I'll stop by the weld shop tomorrow to nip the corners of the angle iron at 45's so when I'm done, they'll be no bloodshed mishaps of any kind. LOL. Here's a couple preliminaries.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Impressive drawing as well. :good2:
Thanks. That was a quickie.
I have a little Drafting, Mechanical Drawing, 3D Modeling Design and Graphics Design under my belt.
I wish I had all the tools to ease fabrication!!:good2:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Short of fighting every tool and task along the way having a gimped left hand, the prototype is a success. And I LIKE the outcome. :good2:
I won't show you my welds...that I had to grind off and redo!!
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjjDpG5IkXyInxTOl8MkMp8essvQ

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I like it, Boonie!! Nice job! Another nice thing is that the rollers don't take up much space like a dolly does when it's not in use.

How tough was it to drill the holes in the side of the box blade?

I've been thinking for a long time about something kind of similar but with a totally different function. I might send you and Kenny a PM in the next day or two in order to run it by you guys.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like it, Boonie!! Nice job! Another nice thing is that the rollers don't take up much space like a dolly does when it's not in use.

How tough was it to drill the holes in the side of the box blade?

I've been thinking for a long time about something kind of similar but with a totally different function. I might send you and Kenny a PM in the next day or two in order to run it by you guys.
The Box Blade Skates (I now call them) are ideal for the use. Drilling the holes for the pins was a struggle for me. After plotting, I laid the drill points out on a piece plywood, then drilled 3/16" holes as pilots. Then followed up with a 1/2" drive drill & 1/2" bit. I clamped the skates to the side of the BB with welders clamps, then about broke my right wrist from the torque. LOL. I almost always get bit by that drill. Slow and steady they say *roll eyes*

I'd be happy to help if I can.

·
Registered
536 Posts
can this idea be adapted for the back hoe?

·
Registered
595 Posts
That seems super handy. :bigthumb:

Do you think that the pins through the box blade have a lot of force on them? I wondered if you couldn't attach the skates with a magnet to hold them in place while it's in the air. Once you have the weight of the box on them, do you think they'd move around too much for that?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
can this idea be adapted for the back hoe?
Without physically having the backhoe here for visuals and placement options, I can't help you with that.

Do you think that the pins through the box blade have a lot of force on them? I wondered if you couldn't attach the skates with a magnet to hold them in place while it's in the air. Once you have the weight of the box on them, do you think they'd move around too much for that?
I used 1/2" hardened pin stock, with washers welded on the ends.
I suppose you could try magnets, however the skates are hefty. The pins are sufficient. And there's no need for clips to keep them in, due to the force from the BB.

·
Premium Member
7,339 Posts

Rare earth magnets are crazy strong; but you need to weigh the skates and then figure out how much pull strength and safety factor (e.g. 2x, 4x, etc) you and your budget want so the skates just don't drop off.

I've been happy with the rare earth magnets I've gotten from here.

https://www.magnet4less.com/

Boonie could have used one locking pin per side since the skates rest on the casters between the angle iron. In his case, the amount of sheer force applied to the pins is minimal.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking the same thing. What drawing program did you use?
After all my drawing, buying, cutting, welding and drilling, they worked as I planned.
Only one slight problem. Because I didn't plan OA width, I can't get the box blade through my storage shed door with the skates on. I may make another set.
What drawing program did I use? It was my graphics program. Adobe Photoshop. I was lazy. LOL!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Short of fighting every tool and task along the way having a gimped left hand, the prototype is a success. And I LIKE the outcome. :good2:
I won't show you my welds...that I had to grind off and redo!!
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjjDpG5IkXyInxTOl8MkMp8essvQ
Great idea and thanks for the video! Looks like your supervisor figured you knew what you were doing as he walked away ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts