Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm supposed to pick up a new 1025r within the next few days that I purchased. What is the best size box blade to use without going too large? I was thinking about going with a 54" blade BB1254 from Land Pride. Would going any larger be too much for the 1025r? I'm going to use it to occasionally rip ground and small roots with the shanks down but mainly use it to keep my stone driveway level.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Man, it all depends on what you will be doing. When ripping, I can stop the 1025r dead in its tracks at will if I am in hard ground (which is the ground you will most likely be in if ripping). Now if I'm spreading loose material then I can drag the box completely full with no problems. I have a 48" btw. I recommend the 48". The 1025r is a subcompact and should be treated like one. If you go bigger just be ready to not use the implement to its fullest. My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,836 Posts
48" or 54", anything bigger and you'll find that when full or close to full, you'll run out of traction. I had a 48" and it was about right. If I could've had the 54", I would've got it. The extra few inches to get out past the rear tires would help when working the driveway.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've got a 48" and sometimes it's all the 1025 can do to pull it. However, I will say that the box on mine is larger (taller/longer) than most that I've seen, not to mention the fact that I'm not very experienced at operating it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I bought the Land pride BB0554 54" box blade but have not used it yet. Just to let you know, it will not work on a JD I-match without some mods but will work with the Land Pride version of the I-match according to the JD dealer. I had to cut of some of the top portion of the top hitch straps to gain top hook clearance and had to spread the bottom brkts of the box blade to accommodate the JD I-match. A 48" or 54" BB should work well under most conditions, wouldn't go any bigger.

Attachments

Reactions: greenrunner

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another vote for a 48" Blade if you plan on serious cutting or ripping. It is pretty easy to stop yourself dead in your tracks even in sandy soil.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am sure you could get a 36" BB to stop the 1025r... I have used a 60" and it worked well (a bit on the heavy side which was both good and bad) but was not iMatch compatible so I got a ETA 54" instead. The extra width is very useful. A 48 or 54 will both have four rippers so there really should't be much difference between the two.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure you could get a 36" BB to stop the 1025r... I have used a 60" and it worked well (a bit on the heavy side which was both good and bad) but was not iMatch compatible so I got a ETA 54" instead. The extra width is very useful. A 48 or 54 will both have four rippers so there really should't be much difference between the two.

The dealer gave me the same price on the 48" and the 54" and yes they both have 4 shanks. I thought it might be nice to have the extra width to go past my wheelbase and the 54" only weighs 25 lb. more than the 48". He said I could use a 60" but it might be a bit much for the 1025r if I was working heavy material or ripping hard dirt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the Land pride BB0554 54" box blade but have not used it yet. Just to let you know, it will not work on a JD I-match without some mods but will work with the Land Pride version of the I-match according to the JD dealer. I had to cut of some of the top portion of the top hitch straps to gain top hook clearance and had to spread the bottom brkts of the box blade to accommodate the JD I-match. A 48" or 54" BB should work well under most conditions, wouldn't go any bigger.

I like the looks of your BB0554 box blade. The Dealer did tell me that that BB12 Series is Quick Attach compatible, so I'm hoping that it will work with quick attach like he says. I haven't bought a quick attach but I was debating on purchasing the Land Pride model since it was about $75 cheaper than the JD i-Match. It doesn't appear that there is too much difference between the two. I also seen that Woods makes a quick hitch as well.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
I can't say what would happen with the 54" but I am ok with my 48". The only thing I wish I had was the heavier unit with 4 shanks, mine is the light weight Frontier with only 3 shanks. I know in my soil it would cut more if it had a little more bite and weight.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you want to rip with the shanks down, I would recommend the 48". Roots stop my 48" very quickly. I have an Armstrong with 4 ripper teeth. I would think anything heavier on the back of my 1025 would really limit the ripping ability with shanks down. General grading and shaving of soil would work with the 54".

Legal disclaimer: IMO :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea

I have 1025 and got a 48 box blade with it. I haven't used it yet...I have dirt drive and wonder what advice or useage tips you guys have. Where do you use yours?
Hap

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Frontier BB2048L

I have a Frontier BB2048L. The 1025R handles it pretty well. I used it recently to level off 150 feet of ditch after installing a new water line. With the box full of dirt and stone, the 1025R worked pretty hard but did not loose traction. I'm not sure how it would do with a 60" box. It would probably handle it OK if you don't try to do too much tearing up sod or compacted dirt.
I know for sure the 1025R will handle a 48" box scraper without any problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts