Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going out on a limb and throwing together a couple skis for my box blade to see how it does on my driveway. We used to use them building roads back in the day and I want to see if I can do that with a box blade. This is experimental, and if it doesn’t do squat, I’ll unbolt them and move on. I got the scrap steel laying around and a rainy day so let’s see what I can get myself into this time

Went out to my ever growing scrap heap and had a look see

Found some 5” flat stock and 3” angle iron I scrounged off a jobsite. Took it in the garage and started cleaning it up
Idea started and ran outta grinding discs...

I plan on relief cutting around 3” from the ends a couple 3 scores and flexing the flat stock up on both ends making a ski form for going forward and reverse. The angle iron will be welded to it and holes drilled in the vertical sides. Drill some holes in the side of box blade and bolt together with some 5/8” grade 8’s and nylock nuts. I’m on the fence where to mount it. I’m thinking of mounting it low enough for the cutting edges are off the ground a half inch or so. I say this because I’m not looking to do much cutting at this stage. Build the driveway with the box and throw the skis on for fine tuning. I’m trying to make it behave more like a land plane but being a box, I don’t want it biting in too deep and collecting too much gravel. More of a final shave. Kinda will look like this

It’s Sunday and I ain’t going nowhere so it’ll keep until tomorrow after work.
More later in the week...
Lemme have all your thoughts, advice, critiques, insults, and laughs.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Cheaper then a land plane.
Please keep updating.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I would try to maintain an edge distance of 4D from the edge of the box blade to the holes you use to mount the skis. So if you drill a half inch hole, make it at least 2 inches from the edges on the box blade. Since the blade rides on those plates when the skis aren't on, you don't want to holes too close to the edge, or it could buckle into the hole. The farther from the edges the better, but 4D is what we used to use when drilling new holes in aircraft frames for new equipment, stress would always ok a distance of 4D or more from existing holes.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Pics........I like the Idea....A half breed land plane basicly..?

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup. I cant afford both right now so ill make it work like both or ill scrap it and use the rear blade for finishing. That i know works good but it takes alot of passes to get it the way i like it.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
I’m going out on a limb and throwing together a couple skis for my box blade to see how it does on my driveway. We used to use them building roads back in the day and I want to see if I can do that with a box blade. This is experimental, and if it doesn’t do squat, I’ll unbolt them and move on. I got the scrap steel laying around and a rainy day so let’s see what I can get myself into this time

Went out to my ever growing scrap heap and had a look see
View attachment 758335 View attachment 758336

Found some 5” flat stock and 3” angle iron I scrounged off a jobsite. Took it in the garage and started cleaning it up
Idea started and ran outta grinding discs...
View attachment 758337 View attachment 758338 View attachment 758339

I plan on relief cutting around 3” from the ends a couple 3 scores and flexing the flat stock up on both ends making a ski form for going forward and reverse. The angle iron will be welded to it and holes drilled in the vertical sides. Drill some holes in the side of box blade and bolt together with some 5/8” grade 8’s and nylock nuts. I’m on the fence where to mount it. I’m thinking of mounting it low enough for the cutting edges are off the ground a half inch or so. I say this because I’m not looking to do much cutting at this stage. Build the driveway with the box and throw the skis on for fine tuning. I’m trying to make it behave more like a land plane but being a box, I don’t want it biting in too deep and collecting too much gravel. More of a final shave. Kinda will look like this
View attachment 758343

It’s Sunday and I ain’t going nowhere so it’ll keep until tomorrow after work.
More later in the week...
Lemme have all your thoughts, advice, critiques, insults, and laughs.
I've thought about doing the same thing so will be interested in how it turns out.

If you've got the steel, have you thought about adding a couple of diagonal scrapers behind the box to give the final touch up to the material?

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've thought about doing the same thing so will be interested in how it turns out.

If you've got the steel, have you thought about adding a couple of diagonal scrapers behind the box to give the final touch up to the material?

Treefarmer
I have. The problem is the weight. I’m already thinking about scrapping the flat stock, and just using the angle iron as skis. That flat stock is 5”x1/2”x6’ and I’m betting they’re every bit 50# each. 3”x5/16”x4’ angle iron maybe 25 to 30# each. That’s a lot of weight on the BB frame. I can lengthen the angle iron and bend up the ends. Add some tabs for mounting and see what that does. Putting angled rear scrapers on it just adds more weight. Then I’d be looking into reinforcing the frame to hold more weight. One of the reasons I was looking hard at the frontier bb was the folded plate steel hitch frame but they wanted way more than I was willing to part with.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I weighed the flat stock today

And I’m going to use the flat stock and scrap the angle iron. I took 2 feet off the end and will use that for my side mount. Throw a couple gussets on there and it’ll be good and strong.

Started the relief cuts for the ski and went in for dinner

I have no idea how much deflection I’ll get outta this and just winging it. I might have to run the grinder through the cuts to get the lift I want but I’m not looking forward to all that grinding . I don’t want to just hack off the end and weld it back on at an angle.
More to come

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got home at a decent time and got the first ski almost done. Finished the relief cuts and rounded the front

Then I welded the 2’ section I cut off the end to the ski

Cut off the corners and will use them for gussets.

Didn’t get them welded yet. More to come...

Here’s what it looks like mocked up. Don’t worry. I know the box isn’t level. I’m waiting to finish the skis and then I’ll bring it in for the drilling and bolting

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
That's looking good, I can't wait to see how it works in practice. (y)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Dude. Kyle,
Go BIG or GO HOME
Little Large, ya think?
I mean. They look good, but JAYZUS o_O(y)

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dude. Kyle,
Go BIG or GO HOME
Little Large, ya think?
I mean. They look good, but JAYZUS o_O(y)
Lol. They are 48.5 pounds a piece and when I’m done welding will probably top out at 50. That’ll add a hundred pounds to it but I think it can handle it. The purpose of the wide stance is to “ski” across the ground and not bite in like a narrower one would. I can’t find any pictures but we used to use ones like it back in my paving days for paver screeds. Those are acrually a lot longer. This one would have been but I wanted to keep the weight down.

Im going to do slot cuts for the bolt holes so I can adjust the height up and down a couple inches. Depending on the fluff of the material, it will need different heights as the skis pass along.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
If you have to back up you might want the rear of the ski turned up as well. Those look great going forward but might dig in if you back up even slightly.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i already have planned to turn up the rear once i finish it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Your working in Asphalt, I get it now.
Heck, you won't need to hook it up to the tractor now. Put a trailer hitch on it, and hook it to your truck.
The slots you mention, for adjustment. You need hydraulics.
Set the front into bushings, and operate the depth by a bar spanning across the top-rear, with a cylinder for depth adjust.

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m not using it on asphalt

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I was referring to the design.
The idea and build. Derp