Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got the gussets welded on and bent up the rear end. First ski’s pretty much done for now aside from welding the relief cuts shut. Dinner time...

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I"m sure you've thought this out but the pix show the ski coming forward pretty far. Did you check tire clearance with the 3 PH all the way up?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Soo the Relief Cuts.

You use a Portaband saw or what?

I think I saw a spare blade and a handle of a Milwaukie Unit..?

What to do when you wear through the front edge of cuts?.......ground side of Ski

I suppose if you weld the edges good it will be fine.......the "relieved area is now tight correct?
Turn up the welder and burn it in good.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I"m sure you've thought this out but the pix show the ski coming forward pretty far. Did you check tire clearance with the 3 PH all the way up?

Treefarmer
Yea it clears about 12" but thank you. I didnt actually measure it until you said that

Soo the Relief Cuts.

You use a Portaband saw or what?

I think I saw a spare blade and a handle of a Milwaukie Unit..?

What to do when you wear through the front edge of cuts?.......ground side of Ski

I suppose if you weld the edges good it will be fine.......the "relieved area is now tight correct?
Turn up the welder and burn it in good.
Yes a portaband. Took a couple blades to get it right. Kept fighting me until i got it dialed in and not force it. So, the cuts are to be welded shut. I did one already and ground it smooth to see how it went, and it looks great. Im waiting to weld my structural welds on my second ski before i do the obligatory filler welds on the cuts. I gotta get some more wire. I didnt crank it up though so ill do that route on the rest to really burn it in.

Thanks guys. Keep the tips comin

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Fun project- thanks for sharing. Once you get to try it out, I'll be interested to see if you need to put a flex link in the top link of the 3 ph hitch to allow the bb to ride totally on the skis without digging in. If you need one, that's not hard to do but it's one of those things that only running it on the ground will tell you for sure.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
10,915 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally got around to finishing the right ski.
Now to drill, slot cut, and mount.

My work bench is a pig sty

·
Registered
6,459 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Those look real good. May have to make a set for my Cat-0 BB.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
428 Posts
Skid shoes kinda, sorta like that is what I'm going to make for our 5' China made box blade..
Implement name, color does not matte to me considering what a box blade is capable of and what I ask it to do..
Did I mention it was the cheapest alternative available ??

·
Registered
370 Posts
... China made...
Did I mention it was the cheapest alternative available ??
Didn't have to, it was implied.

I'm the same way on somethings too. For what I use my back blade for, it works just as well as one that is 3x the price.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Been feeling under the weather since Saturday and am finally able to climb outta bed. No Covid. Just a nasty cold. Still feel like crud but I felt like going out to the garage today
Drilled the holes and threw a couple coats of paint on them. I haven’t done the slot cuts yet. I wanna see how it behaves with the cutting edge level with the bottom of the skis. Btw I noticed both the cutting edges are not the same depth below the box. The rear edge is 3/16” higher than the front. I don’t know if they did that to anticipate faster wear on the front or whatever, but whatever.

Per Satch I made sure to keep the holes 2” from the bottom of the box. I’m m contemplating welding the studs to the inside of the box for easier mounting. My luck though, and I’ll side swipe something with them when the skis aren’t on and bend the crap out of them. Once the paint is dry I’ll see how they fit

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
And here it is boys and girls. One set of box blade skis. I needed with it a little and put it up. Back inside for me. I’ll play with it this weekend

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
They do look great! Had a chance to put these to use yet? I look forward to seeing how well they work.

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Aww, you went and made 'em too purdy. It's going to hurt to see 'em get all scuffed up. LOL. Seriously though, great looking job.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
They do look great! Had a chance to put these to use yet? I look forward to seeing how well they work.
Oscar,
I did a little fine tuning with them on but that was it. I was surprised how good I got it without them and my first time using a box blade it came out really good. I’m waiting for it to need more attention in the spring and I’ll throw it on there then and put t through the paces.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That’s CAT yellow paint btw.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts