Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been looking at box blades. I'm in the market for a five foot blade. I've looked at Frontier, Dirt Dog, County Line, King Kutter. The Frontier & the Dirt Dog are pretty evenly matched in quality & price. TSC's County Line brand not bad for the price. And King Kutter I've only seen on line. The heavy duty models are essentially welded up with 3/8" plate while the standard models are 1/4". The County line 3pt hitch system appears to be a little light in design, meaning I think it could bend or flex possibly. Frontier & Dirt Dog appear to have a lot more beef.
Prices for Frontier & Dirt Dog are just about the same-$750 give or take. The County line sold by TSC runs about $600 or so, and King Kutter, I'm not sure but I think its in line with County model.

I've got a few place where I have swails I want to straighten out. It's like I have one area that is almost three feet higher than the surrounding area & is shaped like a little island, that drops off like grand canyon. I want to pull that island down & level out the area. I also have area that I need to contour to redirect storm water. I'm not sure if pulling that much would be too much for the lighter County Line blade. I don't know how much stress a box blade can take before you bend steel or break a weld. On the other hand, I would like to save some money on the buy. Keep telling myself go for the County Line model, save the money & just run it easier. I will be using my 855 utility tractor for the pull. Any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

:banghead::gizmo:

The Frontier & Dirt Dog are 3/8" which I'm told are standard. County Line is 1/4" & I don't know if they make a 3/8".

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts
Reactions: Maddog and Levi

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I think i got my Frontier for $650.
It is pretty dang heavy duty.

Reactions: Maddog

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I have a King Kutter box blade, and it's built about 1/2 as well as the County Line (made by Tartar) box blades currently at TSC. The metal is literally 1/2 as thick, and the welding is poor. Where the County Line has a solid tube across the front that the scarifiers go through, the King Kutter is two pieces of angle put together and welded.

It's very light duty, and I would not buy it again.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wound up with a Land Pride 54" for my 1026R, I think was around $775.00 from the JD dealer. Beware Land Pride attachments are not compatible (without mods) with the JD I-match only with the Land Pride version of the I-Match, pretty well built otherwise. The lower hooks are wider (thicker) on the JD I-Match than on the Land Pride version.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reactions: Maddog

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I just wanted to make another note on the KK box blade, because my previous post seems kind of harsh now that I'm reading it again.

KK builds a light duty box blade, and it will work well for light duty applications. I would shy away from it though, because Tarter currently sold at TSC as County Line is twice the blade for the same price. I believe County Line implements are made regionally, and they may not be Tarter brand blades in another part of the country. Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Landscape Rake - Advice Needed

Advice needed from Sage members of the forum ! In the fall I moved one of our drainage ditches to protect my drive. I covered it all in erosion control blanket and it has weathered the Winter OK. However.......I now have about 360 feet x 10 feet of rough dug over earth and I need to remove all the rocks and bits of root before I can seed it. Any recommendations for a nice new attachment to deal with this ? I was thinking landscape rake ? I have a 1023E so was thinking 5 foot wide ?

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wanted to make another note on the KK box blade, because my previous post seems kind of harsh now that I'm reading it again.

KK builds a light duty box blade, and it will work well for light duty applications. I would shy away from it though, because Tarter currently sold at TSC as County Line is twice the blade for the same price. I believe County Line implements are made regionally, and they may not be Tarter brand blades in another part of the country. Just something to be aware of.
My local TSC carries the County line brand & they do look pretty good for the money. I just saw a Tarter video on YouTube & it did not impress me. That's interesting that the better one is sold at TSC. Thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts
I looked around and ended up with the frontier. It looked very well built and I knew it would work with my imatch.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I looked around and ended up with the frontier. It looked very well built and I knew it would work with my imatch.

Doug

I can't see the model number on the BB, but it looks like my Frontier BB1065 box blade. I have been real happy with it.

Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Frontier Box Blade came with my tractor when I bought it. I love it, very heavy duty and works great with my Imatch. Would definitely recommend it .

·
Registered
583 Posts

Doug
Wow, that looks overbuilt. Never looked at frontier, I currently have a bush hog brand. It's pretty heavy built, but not like that. The red one is a lighter duty. It was even used on a jd 445gt. It has a flat plate on the back. It will push backwards, but not cut backwards. The Bush Hog will cut while backing.

Sorry about the sideways pic. Don't know how to turn it.

Attachments

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts

Doug
I've been using my Frontier for a couple of years now on our gravel road and for general scraping and leveling. I made a level pad on our sloped property and am amazed at what a scraper can do. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just bought a 60" county line today, used it some today, seems well built for the price. 549.99.. View attachment 42021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah- I would rate Frontier & Dirt Dog as #1 choice. But....County Line is a nice 2nd. place choice. It's a little light in materials used, but at $549. it's a very good buy. My local TSC is currently getting $600. I'm always checking for a sale. I probably will go County Line if it goes on sale at my dealer.

:gizmo:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts