Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I have a box blade, hyd angle rear blade, landscape rake and harrow. I use all of them except for the box blade. I think I have only used it once or twice and only quickly. For a driveway, I use the front end loader to move the material around, then I use the landscape rake to smooth it out. Then if I feel it is necessary, I will use the harrow for a final finish. The box blade does have an advantage with it's scarifiers that allow you to dig up some material, so it does have it's own usage, such as renovating an old driveway where you need to dig up some of the material. If it was a dirt driveway, I might even use my disk to work the soil, before smoothing it out. Different situations require different tools. That is all your tractor attachments are, tools.

Dave

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
658 Posts
Any opinions appreciated....not sure which one to get for grading driveway and spreading various materials.
To better advise, we need a bit more info.

How long? Straight and flat or curves and banks to deal with? What type of materia<script id="gpt-impl-0.8788165588897838" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_107.js"></script>l? Do you get a lot of rain and snow, probably being in Maine?

Most important, what tractor. Size can make a difference as to what implement-s are recommended.

·
Registered
458 Posts

I use my 60" box blade all the time for spreading gravel along my drive and parking area

as well as "grading" the area for the grandkids park.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok some info. I have a sloped driveway so it washes out so I want to be able to grade it back. My driveway is processed material, it's like half inch size gravel and down mixed with stone dust and it's 175 ft long. I have used a box grader in the past, and I am just looking for something to give me a similar finish. I thought maybe the rear blade would be best for crowning. I also want to make some miner ditches for water flow so I figured the blade would work well for that. I have a 1025r, (ill attach a pic).

questions- Is it as easy to grade flat with a blade as a box blade? Also, should I just get both...lol

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
658 Posts
Ok some info. I have a sloped driveway so it washes out so I want to be able to grade it back. My driveway is processed material, it's like half inch size gravel and down mixed with stone dust and it's 175 ft long. I have used a box grader in the past, and I am just looking for something to give me a similar finish. I thought maybe the rear blade would be best for crowning. I also want to make some miner ditches for water flow so I figured the blade would work well for that. I have a 1025r, (ill attach a pic).

questions- Is it as easy to grade flat with a blade as a box blade? Also, should I just get both...lol:mocking:
Here is why I asked for tractor size. Some of the implements are basically worthless because they have to be so light for the tractor to be able to use.

To start with a LPGS (land plane grading scraper)will be your best friend. Simply great for all around road maintenance. If you had a bit larger tractor I would be recommending a rear blade. But because of the size of your tractor, I feel that a box blade will better serve you. Without actually seeing the ground that you have to work, I just don't see a rear blade that weighs a couple of hundred lbs working all that well, but then I may very well be completely wrong. A rear blade would be great for the crowning and the ditching, but with all the 5 footers being so light weight and not really made for your tractor size, I just don't see them working for you very well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think im going with the 48 inch frontier, the heavy one. I do have some ditching work but once its done I feel i will strictly be using the box blade to touch up the driveway. I think ill buy the 48 from my dealer and get a good one and buy a used blade to do the little ditching I have to do. Maybe the 54 not sure

·
Old Pa-pa
11,763 Posts
This is a homemade rig I made for my old Ford 6 foot blade pulling a heavy walkway grating behind it.
Use it for dirt and grading the driveway gravel.
With the blade slightly lifted grating smoothes things out pretty good, have a high spot or want to
work things, I just drop the blade all the way down.

Example of smoothing part of my backyard that was accidently plowed like the fields behind it.
May not be the best, but gets it done on the cheap. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
658 Posts
Can box blades be angled at all?
Nothing std that I am aware of. Don't get me wrong, rear blades can be great and depending on your ground, a unit that fits your tractor may work out fine for you. But with your hitch not lifting very high, I think that about any rear blade will end up being a problem for you, but again I may be way off here. I'm use to bigger stuff.

Also finding a small rear blade with hydraulic angle isn't going to happen from any manufacturer that I know of. Anything that would work with your tractor would be custom fabricated.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Stealer wanted 1200 for frontier 6ft blade with hydraulic l to r. I have loam grading to do and a few other projects where the box blade will be better. Someone needs to design a smaller one of these that angles. For the 1200 I can get a nice box blade and cheap rear blade off craigslist. Box blade will make a nice counter weight too. That rear blade would probably be a pain to keep on all summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts