Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Randy,
I noticed in your sig that you have the Frontier 5' box blade.
In your opinion,is that the limit for the 2520,or could you go larger?
Especially,if my main use is keeping our 3/10 mile lane,smoothed out and free of potholes. The scarifers would be at their highest setting just about all the time.
Have you ever used it for leveling uneven places in your yard?
Do you need to add weight to the box for it to work more efficiently?

Tell me to shut up if I'm asking too many questions!:D

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not to many questions, keep'em coming. Greg, to be perfectly honest. I have only limited use of the box blade as I purchased it last fall. I will give my opinion based on this limited use. Personally, I feel the 5ft is just the right size for the 2520. The tractor has enough power to pull a full box and take a deep cut. I really don't think I would go larger. You may get a way with a larger box if you are taking lighter cuts leveling a drive. I know that is your planned main use but for the times you will use it to its full capacity stay with the 5 footer. The box itself is great at leveling and scraping. :thumbup1gif: As of yet I have not found the need to add additional weight. Well, that is my opinion and I am sticking to it. :laugh: I hope I answered all your questions Greg. I am sure others can add to or correct my errors.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Randy. Much appreciated.:good2:
I would probably always second guess the decision to go larger,so I think I will take your advice and stay with the 5' blade.

Now if I could only find a decent used one that is close.

Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although my experience on this tractor is more limited than Randy (I have only had my 2520 for about a month), I agree that the 5' is probably as large as you will want to comfortably go on a long drive. We have a 100 yard gravel pack portion of our drive and the tractor had more than enough power and traction to handle that with the 5 footer. If you pull a full box, or have a steep grade, you will likely need to use the four wheel drive.

Another consideration is the width of your lane. If it is more than 10', it may be worth looking into a 6'. If it is 10' or less you can get it in two passes with the 5', so there would not be much reason to consider anything larger.

Last, we have a local rental place that has box blades. I would recommend you try before you buy and whatever you end up with, be sure it has replaceable points on the ripper shanks and a curved edge on the blades. Flat vs. curved blade may not make a difference on gravel, but it is like night and day working in dirt.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info ST0gman
The lane is only 10' and it is flat.
I checked around my area,and there isn't anyplace to rent 3PT implements.
Couple more questions:
Anyone know what the difference is between the Frontier standard and heavy duty box blade? They "seem" to look the same.
I also noticed Frontier makes a 5' 5" (BB2065) box blade. Anyone know why such an odd size?

Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info ST0gman
The lane is only 10' and it is flat.
I checked around my area,and there isn't anyplace to rent 3PT implements.
Couple more questions:
Anyone know what the difference is between the Frontier standard and heavy duty box blade? They "seem" to look the same.
I also noticed Frontier makes a 5' 5" (BB2065) box blade. Anyone know why such an odd size?

Greg
In my experience with box blades, heavy duty or commercial usually means larger material capacity in the box. As a result of a larger box, you typically also have a heavier implement.

Bummer you don't have a rental place around you. Both Sunbelt Rentals and True Value Hardware (Just Ask Rentals) carry compact tractor implements near us.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts

Greg
Greg,
Not sure what you mean by standard vs heavy duty. I really don't see any reference to this in their literature. And studing the specs it would appear that the only difference between the 60 and 65 is the extra 5 inches. Not sure why they felt the need for this size.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Regarding the width, perhaps it's to cover various series tractor widths?:

2x20 - 5 foot width
3x20 - 5' 6" width
4x20 - 6 foot width

And of course there are wider BBs since tires can be flopped. My BB3272 selection was driven by looking at the weight, thickness of the end plates (both strength and how fast it wears) and cost. I could not justify the bigger volume box or the hydraulic scarifiers. The half inch end plate thickness push me up into the 3722. I though about wider, but covering the wheels on the tractor seemed OK and going wider meant less PSI to cut with. On the minus side, if I ever flop my tires to get more width, all my implements will be too narrow. Oh, and I had a project that gave me the excuse to get it :good2:.

Pete

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what you mean by standard vs heavy duty. I really don't see any reference to this in their literature.
Randy,I'm not sure where,(I tried to go back in my history) but I found a site that listed a standard duty 2060 and a heavy duty 2060. Anyway,doesn't matter,being that the standard will do just fine.
Is it true that the Frontier BBs' are actually made by Woods and painted and labeled for JD. Looking at a Woods,it sure looks like a Frontier,and ironically Woods also makes a 65" blade. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than Frontier too!:good2:

Greg

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Find what you want in both Frontier and Woods, get the Woods price. This would be a good opportunity to see if your dealer will move when provided with competitive pricing. I've had some luck with this approach twice now.

Pete

·
Administrator
21,037 Posts
Is it true that the Frontier BBs' are actually made by Woods and painted and labeled for JD. Looking at a Woods,it sure looks like a Frontier,and ironically Woods also makes a 65" blade. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than Frontier too!:good2:

Greg
Yes, I think that is the case. Frontier does not "make" anything, it is just a brand name.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it looks like new is out of the question,at least around here anyway.
Really strange how a Woods GB65(or new BSS65 designation) will be priced at 1,200 and some odd dollars in my neck of the woods.Then check places like TractorHouse and MachineFinder and there are dealers,for example in Michigan selling brand new 2011 Woods GB65 for 600.00! Go figure. :unknown:

Greg

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well,I went ahead and got the Woods GB65 from Rosseel's Farm and Garden in Chesterfield Michigan. The price was ridiculously cheap and when I was told the shipping would only be 123 dollars.................done deal!:good2:

Only bummer,I was saving that money to buy an M1 Garand. Oh well,I'll just have to start saving again.
Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts