Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering getting a box scraper to smooth out our access driveway - used by neighbors also, and had some questions about how useful one would be in my situation. I have a blade that has helped somewhat, but in searching around there's a lot of talk about box scrapers being the ticket for this.

Over the years I've put in road base but it has gotten packed down pretty bad. When this road gets wet it gets very soft and rutted.

My thinking is that with a box scraper I could pull material from the sides and restore a bit of a crown so it would drain; remove the pot holes, and with scarifiers, bring up some of the road base.

I would also use the scraper around my personal driveway where trailers, tractor, etc. are used.

Here's a pic to give you a little bit of an idea what this 'road' looks like.

IMG_0122.JPG

Thanks for your input/advice.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A land plane grading scraper will serve you much much better in my opinion. Every implement has it's purpose, and a box blade will work for you, but a LPGS will do it in about 1/2 the time and much easier. :good2:
The link you provided showed it with scarifiers - do you use those? Can you adjust the blade cut depth?

·
Registered
747 Posts
The link you provided showed it with scarifiers - do you use those? Can you adjust the blade cut depth?

I'm also looking at one of these for my driveway. Yes, you can adjust the cutting edges....

gs15.JPG

Taken right from their on-line manual.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
658 Posts
No, I do not use scarifiers with either of my LPGSrs. My 7 footer weighs 1400lbs and my 5 footer weighs 800lbs. No need to use them with my conditions-circumstances.

A really nice accessory to use with these implements is a hydraulic top link. Makes fine tuning the cutting edges easy. Not sure why people think that they need to adjust the blade cutting depth. In 10 years of LPGSer use, not one time has manually adjusting the blade cutting depth even entered my mind. My cutting edges are set at 1" below the side runners and I can make whatever adjustments required with my hydraulic top link. If I didn't have a hyd top link, I would use the 3pt hitch and there are times when both need to be used to get the cut that I am looking for.

If you feel that you need to work on the crown some, then really need to get a good rear blade also. I didn't see what size tractor you have, so without that knowledge, I can't make a reliable recommendation for a rear blade.

I use my LPGSers 90% of the time to maintain my roads, but also use a box blade, rear blade and even a landscape rake when the need arises.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Brian - good photos. My tractor is a 2440 - about 60hp. My blade is a 6foot and not the heaviest or best.

My thinking on the scarifiers is that it has been years since this drive has been worked up and they would help bring some of road base to the top. But not having first-hand experience, it's a SWAG on my part.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
658 Posts
Thanks, Brian - good photos. My tractor is a 2440 - about 60hp. My blade is a 6foot and not the heaviest or best.

My thinking on the scarifiers is that it has been years since this drive has been worked up and they would help bring some of road base to the top. But not having first-hand experience, it's a SWAG on my part.
I believe that you would be best served with a LPGS. If I had to purchase today, I would go with one of these in the industrial series. Probably a 7 footer, no hydraulic adjustments, a waste IMO.

A perfect rear blade for you would be one of these Land Pride units. An RBT 3596 with skid shoes and as many hydraulic adjustments that you can control with what you have.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I use my boxblade all the time - it's like a swiss army knife.

I grade a 1/4 mi road with it about once/year just to knock down the potholes and level things out. The above would certainly be better for the job, but I also use mine for bulldozer work, leveling gravel/stone for outbuildings, pounding back frozen snow piles, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,277 Posts
A good box blade is a great all purpose tool, but for road maintenance I gotta go with MtViewRanch on this one and recommend the land plane.

If it is just an every once in a while, time is not a issue project, a BB will do.

If the OP has the ability ($) to go the land plane route, I'd say go for it. He certainly has the tractor for it.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, all. There's a rental place that has a land plane - I may rent that and try it out ( or may just rent when I need it).

The road is the primary need - it's pretty rutted after this winter. But I've got a fair amount of driveway and equipment/trailer moving and parking area that needs some help, too.

·
Premium Member
9,277 Posts
Nothing better than a test drive!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Test drive done. Here's some before and after pics. Thanks for recommendation for the land plane - a good choice for my use. I did use a ripper on the road - it was so hard packed that it needed to be opened a little. I think long term I will get box scraper with scarifiers 7 feet wide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,277 Posts
:good2:

I've seen a few land planes with scarifiers.

A box blade is a great general purpose tool to have so it would make sense to buy the BB first and keep an eye out for a good LP.

From your other thread, the rent on this LP was pretty reasonable. No reason to buy an occasional 1 purpose tool that you can rent.

The drive looks good! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:good2:

I've seen a few land planes with scarifiers.

A box blade is a great general purpose tool to have so it would make sense to buy the BB first and keep an eye out for a good LP.

From your other thread, the rent on this LP was pretty reasonable. No reason to buy an occasional 1 purpose tool that you can rent.

The drive looks good! :thumbup1gif:
Yes - with rental place 3 miles away, and low cost, I can't justify buying a landplane that I'll use twice a year - maybe.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,682 Posts
Yes - with rental place 3 miles away, and low cost, I can't justify buying a landplane that I'll use twice a year - maybe.
Is the rental place somewhere along the front range? I'm in the same boat with a 1/2 mile dirt driveway that looks like the Baja 500 has been taking place.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Is the rental place somewhere along the front range? I'm in the same boat with a 1/2 mile dirt driveway that looks like the Baja 500 has been taking place.
Interstate Rental. About I25 and highway 52. On west service road 2 miles north of 52.

That land plane is Class II.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts