Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was way past time for a new set of tires on the little box trailer (10+ years & showing tread wear), so I finally took care of it this week.

One advantage with a small one is the built in hitch jack & a couple of jack stands is all that is needed. Drop the hitch down, place the jacks & then crank the jack until the tires clear...

The new set are upgrades over the originals being 8 ply load range D radials.

The fender mount side markers got replaced last month with an LED set and a new polycarbonate vent cap comes in Monday to replace the sun-rotted original. Once that is done, the little box should be good to go for the next few years.

Nick

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,259 Posts
It was way past time for a new set of tires on the little box trailer (10+ years & showing tread wear), so I finally took care of it this week.

One advantage with a small one is the built in hitch jack & a couple of jack stands is all that is needed. Drop the hitch down, place the jacks & then crank the jack until the tires clear...

The new set are upgrades over the originals being 8 ply load range D radials.

The fender mount side markers got replaced last month with an LED set and a new polycarbonate vent cap comes in Monday to replace the sun-rotted original. Once that is done, the little box should be good to go for the next few years.

Nick
What?? No new tire pics?? :dunno: Nice LED lights.

My enclosed trailer(6x12) still has the original tire on it since 2001. I know they need to be replaced, but they still look good.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My enclosed trailer(6x12) still has the original tire on it since 2001.
I know they need to be replaced, but they still look good.
I bought my 10K capacity dump trailer in 1999,, and the tires still look perfect.
I easily have > 10,000 miles on the trailer,,, maybe 20,000,, the tires look new,,,:dunno:

No new tires until something happens,,,

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
In 2015 I hauled my 2005 flatbed trailer with original tires across the country. I made it from Nashville to the east side of St. Louis when the first tire blew. The second tire blew in western St. Louis and the third one blew in Columbia MO. The tires looked great and only had a couple of thousand miles on them but age is a killer for tires. You might get away with it if you only make short trips but I'd replace them if you're going any distance or loaded heavily.

·
Registered
498 Posts
In 2015 I hauled my 2005 flatbed trailer with original tires across the country. I made it from Nashville to the east side of St. Louis when the first tire blew. The second tire blew in western St. Louis and the third one blew in Columbia MO. The tires looked great and only had a couple of thousand miles on them but age is a killer for tires. You might get away with it if you only make short trips but I'd replace them if you're going any distance or loaded heavily.
Sound advice indeed learned sir?. Let's hope we learn from your experience.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What?? No new tire pics?? :dunno: Nice LED lights.

My enclosed trailer(6x12) still has the original tire on it since 2001. I know they need to be replaced, but they still look good.
Per request :laugh:

Nick

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I did the same thing for my Tracker this past week.
Planned on a road trip to NH and figured it was time to change out the 15 plus year old tires.
They had dry rot cracks from sitting.
Decided to just go on Amazon instead of the tire shop.
Got ST175/80R13 radials mounted on new wheels with free shipping for $67.02 a piece.
Tires are Chinese but even the original tires back in 1993 were Taiwan. Lol

IMG_8556.jpg

IMG_8543.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG_8558.jpg

IMG_8557.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts