Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just recently purchased my first John Deere Rider and it is in dire need of a brake adjustment. I tried to google it and nothing came up. Does anyone have a suggestions or pics. Also the clutch engages at the top of the pedal instead of slowly like I am used to in a car or truck. Is there an adjustment for this? Thanks a bunch for any help.
Kevin

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
Welcome to DT Kevin, I am finding very little info on a "LT" 176, but lots on a "LX", just want to confirm your model number please.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Agreed, LX176 or LT170?:dunno:

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
Posted below is a picture from jdparts, I hope it helps...to show the actual brake I think I need a serial number.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I saved a copy of the brake adjustment procedure to my laptop but have not had time to post. I will post it as soon as I get an opportunity.

sent from my cell via tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saved a copy of the brake adjustment procedure to my laptop but have not had time to post. I will post it as soon as I get an opportunity.

Thank you, that would be great. The picture that was posted helps but does not explain "the how". Thanks to both of you.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
OK. I, finally, got a chance to fire up the laptop. :yahoo: It turns out, I saved the adjustment procedure from a LT180. :banghead: I can't find manuals for the LX1xx mowers on-line. I can get manuals for all of the LX2xx machines. :unknown: I cross referenced the brake parts and found several Sabre models that made use of the same brakes. None of those manuals are available, either. :nunu: A look at the parts catalog shows us this:
lx176.JPG
Try shortening 22. :good2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brake Adjustment LX176

Yes, That looks very close to what I have but when I put the mower up in the air without the rear wheels and slid under it, I could not find any sort of adjustment screw or bolt that would allow me to
take up the slack in the pedal. Currently the pedal goes right to the floor with little or no resistance. I am afraid if I had to stop in a hurry I would be unable to do it. Especially with an excitable 6 year old running around. Any ideas? Oh and one more little bit of info, not that it should matter. The hood of the tractor says LX176 but the model number is 172B110885. The mower has a 14hp Kawasaki motor and 48" deck.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I would need a 13 digit serial number.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where is the serial number

Ok,
The only number that I have found so far is on the back and it reads MOL 172B110885*, is there another area to look for the serial number? If there is please let me know.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
What you have there, Kev, is an LX172. It was sold new, in Granger, in april 1995. I will send more info, later, as time allows.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, Hopefully info on how to adjust the brakes. I ran into my fence this last weekend! Thankfully no damage to the mower, screw the fence. LOL
Kevin

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Finally some good information. You want to tighten Adjusting nut(#11) until you get .005 inch clearance between brake disk(#19) and outer brake disk(#20). Sorry it took so long to get this to you. Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for sending me the information. I will try it out this weekend and get back to you. I am sure my fence will appreciate it. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, all is fine in my world now. The adjustment worked great and I can stop the tractor now. Thanks a bunch guys for all of your help and hard work. You are unsung heroes of The John Deere Tractor
world. I/ we appreciate your time and talent.

Kevin:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Another story book ending, may all your tractor riding days be happy ones. We now have a great post to help others, thank you.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Lol. Another satisfied customer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts