Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a great deal that I couldnt pass up. 1790.00 out the door....and I didnt even haggle....took the fun right out of it.
I purchased this 18' car hauler and need to install an electric brake controller on my Ford van. What do you all recommend?

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
I have used Tekonsha forever.
Most of my trucks came plug and play if you have the harness.

·
Administrator
20,973 Posts
This controller hooks up to your tow vehicle's brake line and measures the pressure applied and converts it to electric current for your trailer brakes. It is the most natural feeling and best trailer brake controller I've used. It's more expensive up front and a little harder to install. You need to install a pressure transducer into a tee in your brake line. I've installed a few and have had great success. It's definitely worth looking into.

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
My favorite, the Jordan Ultima 2020 is no longer made-it is truly proportional because it is activated from a cable that connected to the brake pedal, its the smoothest controller I have ever towed with. If I was buying one toady for serious towing it would be the one Jason linked, if I only was towing once every couple months it would get a Tekonsha Prodigy or simular.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
rgd, It's been 6 years since I purchase a brake controller and don't know how they are made today but I would highly recommend getting a unit where you can apply the brakes on the trailer without touching your brake pedal with your foot. This little feature has gotten me out of a few jams, could have been my fault but just the same...

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I've looked at the Max Brake systems that DS linked to, and they do seem pretty nice. I would like to try one, but hesitate to spend the money until I know I have a rig that I'll be keeping around. I like my F-350, but if a 550 came along then I just might make the switch.

I'm using a Tekonosha Prodigy. Really, all your proportional electric controllers are going to work about the same way. The big advantage of the Prodigy for me was the ease of adjusting it. The digital display makes it easy to get an exact setting, instead of turning a knob and having to test it. I know what settings I want to use when my trailer is empty, when it's loaded with certain weights, etc. I can go right to those numbers, instead of having to try and find the sweet spot every time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Several years ago when I was looking for a brake controller I found a lot of options. I ended up with the Tekonsha Prodigy like others here, and it has worked well for me. If there is a specific connector available for your vehicle, it truly is plug and play.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Like others have said the Tekonsha Prodigy works for me my Toyota was pre wired and the digital display is nice to dial in for load conditions.

Doug

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
I've looked at the Max Brake systems that DS linked to, and they do seem pretty nice. I would like to try one, but hesitate to spend the money until I know I have a rig that I'll be keeping around. I like my F-350, but if a 550 came along then I just might make the switch.

I'm using a Tekonosha Prodigy. Really, all your proportional electric controllers are going to work about the same way. The big advantage of the Prodigy for me was the ease of adjusting it. The digital display makes it easy to get an exact setting, instead of turning a knob and having to test it. I know what settings I want to use when my trailer is empty, when it's loaded with certain weights, etc. I can go right to those numbers, instead of having to try and find the sweet spot every time.
That right there is the ticket for admission! Nice.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will only be using this trailer maybe once a month ,so...I am going with the Tekonsha....(is this spelled right?....dangit I already forgot)
Now I need to find out if my van is prewired and what not. ...actually now that I think about it...there is a big connection behind the left tail light where I tapped into for the flat 4 wire. Hopefully theres a space for a controller.

Reactions: 56FordGuy

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks 56!... the van is an '09 3/4 ton.

·
Administrator
20,973 Posts
There should be a large 4 pin connector hiding up under the kick panel on the driver's side. There there most of the time even if your van didn't come with a tow package.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will only be using this trailer maybe once a month ,so...I am going with the Tekonsha....(is this spelled right?....dangit I already forgot)
Now I need to find out if my van is prewired and what not. ...actually now that I think about it...there is a big connection behind the left tail light where I tapped into for the flat 4 wire. Hopefully theres a space for a controller.
You may also have a plug-in socket for a harness under the dash.

Reactions: rgd

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Thanks 56!... the van is an '09 3/4 ton.
I didn't forget about you, just got tied up. Hope to get pictures first thing tomorrow morning. My van is an '07, but should be similar. Like DS said, if you look behind the panel below the steering column you should see a rectangular plug with nothing connected to it. That's what the brake controllers plug into. Just buy the Ford harness when you buy your controller. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Often the "other" side of the harness is in the glove box with the owners manual-at least the trucks are that way when they have the optional towing package. They often get thrown away...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
Often the "other" side of the harness is in the glove box with the owners manual-at least the trucks are that way when they have the optional towing package. They often get thrown away...
I think, only if the vehicle has the factory installed tow package but I guess that only makes sense. Agreeing with ya!

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Alright. On my '07, the plug for the brake controller is on the lower left of the driver's floorboard area, right up against the firewall.

If you buy the Ford harness with your Tekonosha brake controller, it should have a plug on each end. One end will plug into the controller, the other will plug into that plug on the van. If you buy a generic Ford harness, it will fit the van plug and have 4 loose wires. Connect those wires to the 4 loose wires that will come with your controller, color to color. Real simple. The specific harness just eliminates having that extra splice in the system.

·
Administrator
20,973 Posts
Not all vehicles will be color to color. I can't remember which vehicle I installed last but all four wires were there, even the correct colors. They just didn't match. If you get an adapter harness, just double check the function vs color before you let the magic smoke out. :lol:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
One thing not mentioned about the Tekonsha Prodigy is it mounts in a holder that allows it to be removed to move to another vehicle (with extra holder and harness) or stored to prevent theft. It's what I have

Reactions: rgd
1 - 20 of 20 Posts