Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I JUST took delivery of my brand new 2016 John Deere 1025R on Friday, September 2nd, 2016 .

$21,000 (with implements) and it misses and sputters EVERY time I start it when it has been sitting for a while. If I apply throttle, it sputters and misses more.

After it warms up for about 2 minutes, it seems to clear up .....

My neighbor has a 1026R, which I used extensively before buying mine.... same tractor but about 5 years older.... and his starts up without any sputtering whatsoever....

If mine starts and runs like CRAP in 80 degree, sunny weather..... what is it going to do when it is 10 degrees below zero this winter???!!! My neighbors starts up and runs smooth and strong in the dead of winter....

I am disappointed - I hope I don't have a lemon.

Yes - I have to call the dealer after the holiday weekend....

One thing that crossed my mind: The dealer left me with less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Is it possible the tractor sat around on the lot long enough that condensation/water got into what little gas was in the tank?

I have to get some diesel and fill it up to the top and find out, I guess.

Any thoughts? Anybody else have this issue and know of what fixed yours?

Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can you see the fuel filter on that? Should be a drain on it too. Try that to see if there is water. I'm surprised it didn't come with a full tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply,

It does have a visible fuel filter.... the guy who delivered the unit showed me this and said the 'red' mark at the bottom of the clear filter shroud should stay at the bottom....which it is. He said if there was water in the gas, the red mark would 'rise' vertically in the clear pane shroud to indicate such.

He started the tractor and unloaded it from the trailer while I was elsewhere.... so I never really heard it start until after he left.... and it was warmed up when I did, so I did not notice it right away.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine did that too it has gone away with use. I don't remember when it stopped just noticed it wasn't doing it anymore. Just to make sure it only does it a couple of seconds right?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
The newer emissions compliant engines like the one in the 1025R tend to be a bit cold blooded. As long as it runs ok after a few minutes, don't worry about it. It's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Did you get a block heater? I think you will need one for winter. Aside from that, these new engines tend to run rough for the first couple minutes. The manual says - "Set hand throttle lever to the 1/2 throttle position for 5 minutes without load." After that, idle speed should be 1575 ± 25 rpm.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine did that too it has gone away with use. I don't remember when it stopped just noticed it wasn't doing it anymore. Just to make sure it only does it a couple of seconds right?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yes... if I leave it run for, oh.... say 15 or 20 seconds, it seems to clear up. It is just a bit disconcerting....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did you get a block heater? I think you will need one for winter. Aside from that, these new engines tend to run rough for the first couple minutes. The manual says - "Set hand throttle lever to the 1/2 throttle position for 5 minutes without load." After that, idle speed should be 1575 ± 25 rpm.
Funny, I just read the 'starting instructions' in the manual when you replied with this..... I see that it says to start the engine with the throttle position at the 1/2 - 3/4 position, and then to return it to idle position and let run for 1 minute.

I was starting it in the idle position, thinking it would be bad for the motor to have the throttle cranked up when starting?!

I also notice that John Deere has the PTO listed as the Throttle in the manual..... um, I thought they'd be more professional than that. Also, the pictures look like photocopies of photocopies.... I know that has nothing to do with the mechanics of the tractor, but it isn't very professional looking from a company of their stature.

I will give it a start as recommended in the morning after it has been sitting cold all night.... see if that makes a difference.

You don't think starting it at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle will burn the engine up??

Oh.... and can you tell me more about the engine block heater .... how that works and what kind of cost? Thanks for your input! I appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
My 1025R always grumbled at startup. Not a whimper from the previous 1023E.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but is your fuel petcock open?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually read that in the 'troubleshooting' section under 'engine runs rough'.... they said a *possible* cause could be the fuel filter lever could be partially closed....

I don't think it is a condescending question at all, and appreciate your asking.... the guy that delivered the tractor showed me this lever and how to open/shut it when changing a filter, etc.... I believe he opened it back to the full-open position, but I will run out and double check to be sure.

Worth checking - thank you! I will run and check it now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tractor has been sitting for about an hour. I just went out and started it at 1/2 throttle position....and with the implements (mowing deck down - not sure why they want you to do this)... and it sputtered for about 10 seconds, then sort of cleared up..... I then reduced the throttle all the way back to idle.... and then jumped it back up to about 3/4 throttle and it seemed to be ok....

It is just that initial 10-20 seconds that it seems to run rough...

Just doesn't seem like it should do it AT ALL when the temperature is darn near 80 degrees outside.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I start mine at idle. I always get some smoke and stumbles for 3-4 seconds when cold. Girlfriend has a 1023e, hers blows just a little puff of smoke and never stumbles. Diesel fuel cetane quality is not mandated or monitored in my state. I own a tier 4 diesel pickup with the accompanying 28,000 psi injection pump pressure. Consequently I have been using a Ford product diesel cetane booster with injection pump lubricant. I usually add a teaspoon-tablespoon to each 5 gallon fuel can of tractor fuel. You could buy a similar product at any auto parts store and see if this helps your startup.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just doesn't seem like it should do it AT ALL when the temperature is darn near 80 degrees outside.
Maybe not, but it is completely normal for these engines. To be fair, 80 degrees is quite a long ways from the normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
What is the normal operating temp? Thanks.
I don't know, and it depends upon which part of the engine we are talking about. Diesels ignite the fuel/air mixture by compression, unlike a gas engine which uses a spark. The heat required to ignite the diesel comes from rapidly compressing the fuel/air mixture by about 20 times (about 20:1 compression ratio), vs a gas engine which compresses about ten times (10:1). When the engine is cold a great deal of the heat that arises from compression is absorbed into the cold cylinder walls, hence harder starting and rough running when "cold". Glow plugs serve to preheat the combustion chamber so that less heat is lost.

The temperature of the fuel/air mixture at time of ignition is several hundred degrees.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My tractor does this intermittently. But it seems like if I let the glow plug cycle it doesn't do it. But even if the tractor is warm and I try to start it without letting the glow plug cycle it runs rough just as you're describing. I find it very aggravating:banghead:. My 1985 430 diesel garden tractor never did this.
I'm getting ready to do my 50 hour service so I'll check out some things listed in this thread to see if it helps.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Tractor has been sitting for about an hour. I just went out and started it at 1/2 throttle position....and with the implements (mowing deck down - not sure why they want you to do this)... and it sputtered for about 10 seconds, then sort of cleared up..... I then reduced the throttle all the way back to idle.... and then jumped it back up to about 3/4 throttle and it seemed to be ok....

It is just that initial 10-20 seconds that it seems to run rough...

My 1025R also did that some, but mostly when it was a cold start. It was frustrating. I know the manual says to increase the throttle setting when starting, but I never felt that was a good idea to start a cold engine and have it rev up like that, so I always started it at idle setting, just like I start my car and pickup. I suggest you try starting at idle setting to see if that helps some. My 4066R never does this.

Dave

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yup, mine does it too. When I inquired with the dealer, he smiled and told me its normal for 10-15 seconds and to thank the EPA.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

My 1025R also did that some, but mostly when it was a cold start. It was frustrating. I know the manual says to increase the throttle setting when starting, but I never felt that was a good idea to start a cold engine and have it rev up like that, so I always started it at idle setting, just like I start my car and pickup. I suggest you try starting at idle setting to see if that helps some. My 4066R never does this.

Dave
True, but don't forget a diesel not only fires by compression, but also shares it's lubrication during combustion (hence the dirty oil after only a few hours of running). Think of it as a hybrid 2 stroke.

If JD figured out a way to make a 25 HP diesel motor run efficient enough not to need emission controls, and just puff a little smoke at startup plus 10-20 seconds, then they may be on to something.

Just my $. 02.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts