Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Brand new 1025r, unloaded backhoe, added 3-pt/I-hitch, started Land Pride 1250 tiller, and ENGINE keeps OVERHEATING. Call into dealer but just not sure. Thx for comments

·
Premium Member
15,735 Posts
Sorry new tractor is over heating,,,but more info would be nice..
Usually we don't see or hear of new tractors overheating, so

Did you check antifreeze level,,, how long had you been using the tiller.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
First two things. Check antifreeze level. Then check screen filter in front of radiator. If not one of those two things, call the dealer.

·
Premium Member
15,735 Posts

If dealer put in a block heater for you ,, the mechanic could have forgotten to put in antifreeze or not enough antifreeze.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I popped cap this morning after sitting all night. I can't see antifreeze at the top but wondering if there is a visual gauge somewhere to confirm it's low. Overflow reservoir only has a little (1/8") in it. The machine only has 2 hrs on it. I was rototilling for about 10 minutes before it started overheating. I think the culprit may be too little antifreeze which boggles my mind coming straight from a dealer with maybe a lack luster check out protocol.

I just wasn't sure if I was using the correct PTO setting between the 3 on the yellow PTO handle to the left of my seat.

·
Premium Member
15,735 Posts
Go buy some antifreeze ,and fill the radiator and next time at the dealer have them give you a gallon of antifreeze.

From the sounds of it the dealer never checked and guessing the factory failed to fill the radiator .

Read your manual it will tell you how to check and fill your radiator.

then enjoy your tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Get the right anti freeze and top off and make sure resivour is filled to line. Pull the screen out and check and rinse if necessary. If it over heats after that, call the dealer.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
If your dealer is reasonably close, make sure to go get the CORRECT anti freeze from the dealer so your machine is properly protected. The Cool Guard that the dealers sell is already blended with water for the proper cold weather protection, as well as providing the best high temp protection.

In an emergency, You could even just add water in the meantime to the radiator, BUT it will drive the freeze point UP and boil point DOWN, which is why it's important to add the properly blended product. Walk in the dealer and tell them your machine is low on coolant and they will likely give you a gallon of the right product.

If you were to add water, the coolant is going to have to be serviced to get the freeze protection point down low enough again to protect the machine in cold weather. That's why the BEST solution is to add the CORRECT product, which is the John Deere Cool Guard anti freeze.

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
Did your machine get HOT enough for the PTO to be shut down by the tractor's computer? If so, that's a safety featrure and prevents possible severe damage from occurring to the engine and components.

Also, if your machine was that low on coolant and the dealer didn't add any block heaters or other items, its likely there was an air pocket in the engine when it was filled with coolant at the factory. It seems very odd that the factory wouldn't be monitoring how much coolant goes into each machine during assembly, but its also strange the dealer didn't check this before the machine was released to you. Apparently, one or more of these has happened.

When adding the coolant to a COLD machine, the best way to do it with the issues your machine has experienced, would be to remove the radiator cap, start the tractor and slowly add coolant to the RADIATOR directly, until the coolant level is near the top of the radiator tank. You should see the coolant flowing through the radiator as you are adding some. This way, you know the radiator is full. Allow the tractor to run while you monitor the coolant level in the engine as once the thermostat opens, the coolant level could drop again.

Once the radiator is full, Make sure to PROPERLY install the radiator cap, pushing it down and tightening it. Run the tractor and keep and eye on the coolant levels in the over flow tank and watch the temp gauge. Once you have run the machine for an hour or so, make sure the overflow tank has the proper level of coolant in it.

NEVER open a warm or HOT radiator cap as you will get burned. ONLY add coolant to the OVER FLOW tank through the non pressurized plastic cap once the machine has been warmed and run properly.

The way the overflow tank works is as the machine heats up and the coolant expands and is circulated through the system, the extra coolant in the radiator, hoses and engine gets pushed into the plastic overflow tank. When the coolant level is low, the tractor can pull coolant from the over flow tank into the radiator to make sure to maintain the proper coolant levels. Since the machine over heated, I would fill the radiator of a COLD machine first and then I would make sure to add any additional coolant needed to the over flow tank.

I would also suggest checking the engine oil levels as well as the trans axle (Hydro) oil levels with the applicable dipsticks. Make sure the machine is NOT running when you are checking the oil and Hydro oil levels. If you need help or guidance on this, please either check your owners / operator manuals and post back here on GTT........

Please Make sure to report back and let us know what you find, what the dealer does to resolve this and to make sure your new tractor is running and functional as it should be. It helps others learn from your thread....

Oh, and welcome to GTT.....(y);)

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Help! Brand new 1025r, unloaded backhoe, added 3-pt/I-hitch, started Land Pride 1250 tiller, and ENGINE keeps OVERHEATING. Call into dealer but just not sure. Thx for comments
The overflow hose from the coolant tank on my 2016 1025R was plugged with dirt. That caused the tank to lose coolant from the filler cap on the overflow tank. I shortened the hose about 3" so it won't get clogged so easily when in muddy ground.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I suggest checking all fluid levels and greasing everything, including any PTO implements. I vaguely recall an issue with front axle oil level on new machines a few years back.

get the premix from the dealer. Using the wrong antifreeze, or doing your own mix with tap water can lead to future corrosion problems. If you do your own mix, be sure to use distilled water.

In the old days, there was green antifreeze. Now, there is also red, and yellow. Rather than trying to figure it out, I just go to the dealer and get the product that Is recommended in the manual. Same with all the other fluids. (I never rely on the parts guy, or even the service manager, to recommend fluids.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello GTT who really helped and provided incredible insight! Just following back around to give an update on the overheating issue. Turns out, it was 2 small hose clamps on the radiator. After $25k, 2hrs on the machine, 10minutes on the tiller, I was not really excited about troubleshooting so the dealer was close and picked it up. They tightened hose clamps but will test tomorrow on a dyno?? machine to confirm rear PTO isn't causing any overheating issues. THanks again. I just can't believe the incredible volume of data and response I got from this forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My slow moving vehicle sign shipped in the engine compartment next to the radiator. Are you sure yours isn’t still in there blocking air flow?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
If coolant was proper mix...will overheat....needs to be no more than 50/50.....new doesn't necessary mean much, could be a factory problem

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I had a loose hose clamp on mine also. A very minor leak and took months to show up. Took me an hour to find it and I was surprised how loose it was, took several turns to tighten it up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts