Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Premium Member
Hello GTT who really helped and provided incredible insight! Just following back around to give an update on the overheating issue. Turns out, it was 2 small hose clamps on the radiator. After $25k, 2hrs on the machine, 10minutes on the tiller, I was not really excited about troubleshooting so the dealer was close and picked it up. They tightened hose clamps but will test tomorrow on a dyno?? machine to confirm rear PTO isn't causing any overheating issues. THanks again. I just can't believe the incredible volume of data and response I got from this forum.
They will, hook your tractors rear PTO shaft up to the Dynomameter machine and start your tractor and engage the rear PTO. Then they can simulate a load on the PTO, similar to what you would get running the tiller, so they can make sure its not a malfunctioning PTO clutch, etc. That's a great way to test the machine without having to take it out of the shop. Most of the larger dealers have these PTO dyno's which are a very helpful diagostic tool for the technician.

Could you smell the coolant when it was leaking from the tractor? It usually smells like a HOT, rather unique and not necessarily pleasant smelling scent. If the tractor was leaking the coolant, the smell should have been pretty strong, especially when the hood was opened.

Recently, I was working on a large road building project where I was spreading crushed aggregate with my 1025r and FEL and box blade. I was having the dump truck deliver a load and I would spread it. Due to some material constraints and also only having one place the truck could dump, It meant I was driving back and forth the length of the 1,000 ft long road and also there was 15 large dump truck loads of material involved.

While I am working on the tractor, suddenly, I could smell anti freeze. I stopped and checked my tractor and found nothing. I thought this was very odd as I have a very strong sense of smell and the scent of anti freeze really isn't like any other scents which else one often encounters. Plus, I was out in a remote area without other vehicles in the area of where I was working.

When the dump truck returned, I noticed the smell returned as well. I mentioned it to the driver and he got out, opened the hood and checked his cooling system. Sure enough, there was a leak. The smell of the coolant is unique and whenever one does smell that, its imperative to check to see its source.

When your tractor is functioning correctly, you shouldn't ever smell the anti freeze or coolant, unless you open the radiator cap or the over flow tank. Glad the problem was resolved. I would keep an eye on the over flow bottle level as well as the temp gauge just to make sure the levels remain correct and no more fluid needs to be added.

If you didn't get a gallon of anti freeze from the dealer, I would pick one up from the dealer so you are using the correct product blended to best serve your new machine. Its something good to keep on hand and the coolant is not the same as that used in many cars, etc.

A good dealer who takes care of you when issues arise is important. Sounds like you have a good one and that's nice to hear. Many people insist on getting the very best price when buying and often ignore their local dealer. In situations like this, having a responsive dealer who helps you is not to be ignored and much appreciated.......

Thanks for reporting back on how your issue was resolved. It makes the thread helpful for all who read it. Welcome to GTT and make sure to post some photos of your new machine when you get it home.......

Registered
OP,
I f the dealer failed to check the coolant then they failed to check something else, or maybe everything. Call your sales guy and tell him none of the fluid levels are correct, and ask him to send out a mechanic with oil, transmission fluid, and coolant. This is not a dealer I would trust with my tractor. Hold their feet to the fire.

Reactions: 99f250

Registered
OP,
I f the dealer failed to check the coolant then they failed to check something else, or maybe everything. Call your sales guy and tell him none of the fluid levels are correct, and ask him to send out a mechanic with oil, transmission fluid, and coolant. This is not a dealer I would trust with my tractor. Hold their feet to the fire.
What BOBL said and dont let them try to push you around 馃憤 their mistake so let them fix it.

Registered
Help! Brand new 1025r, unloaded backhoe, added 3-pt/I-hitch, started Land Pride 1250 tiller, and ENGINE keeps OVERHEATING. Call into dealer but just not sure. Thx for comments
I'd make sure dealer documents everything. Sounds like they did a FUBAR. Regardless if putting a heater in or not they must check fluids. Check/grease everything before starting again.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Registered
I popped cap this morning after sitting all night. I can't see antifreeze at the top but wondering if there is a visual gauge somewhere to confirm it's low. Overflow reservoir only has a little (1/8") in it. The machine only has 2 hrs on it. I was rototilling for about 10 minutes before it started overheating. I think the culprit may be too little antifreeze which boggles my mind coming straight from a dealer with maybe a lack luster check out protocol.

I just wasn't sure if I was using the correct PTO setting between the 3 on the yellow PTO handle to the left of my seat.
Which setting do you use, one is for the mid which is for the mowing deck the other is for rear pto then the middle runs both but I鈥檝e yet to figure out why you would be running the mower and rear pto at the same time

Super Moderator
Which setting do you use, one is for the mid which is for the mowing deck the other is for rear pto then the middle runs both but I鈥檝e yet to figure out why you would be running the mower and rear pto at the same time
Front and rear snowblower.
Mid Mount Mower with a collection system in the back.
(Edit) Front broom and rear snowblower
Just a couple examples.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts