Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased an almost new Z355R with 2 hours usage on it (long story). Manual does not say anything about a first oil change / break in period but the previous owner said after 5 hours usage to change oil and filter and after a google search said 8 hours in places ?
Please claify?
The manual said every year or 50 hours
Thanks, SW

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
5 or 8, doesn’t matter which way you go, just don’t overlook it. :good2:

Then it should be once a year or 50 hours (if that’s what the OM calls for) whichever comes first.

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Just purchased an almost new Z355R with 2 hours usage on it (long story). Manual does not say anything about a first oil change / break in period but the previous owner said after 5 hours usage to change oil and filter and after a google search said 8 hours in places ?
Please claify?
The manual said every year or 50 hours
Thanks, SW
This comes up all the time. For reasons that remain a mystery JD has removed the initial break-in oil change from the manuals on almost all of their lawn and garden equipment. If you go back to the manuals for earlier serial numbers, the 8-hour break-in oil change is still there.

The odd thing is if you go to the Briggs and Stratton website and look at the owner's manual for the Intek engine you will see they list a break-in oil change at 8 hours. So which manual would you believe, the manufacturer or the someone who is trying falsely lower the apparent cost of ownership? :)

Briggs and Stratton engines aren't what they used to be. If it were my machine I would do an initial engine oil and filter after 8 hours.

As for the 50 hours, that all depends on how much you use your machine. I put about 50 hours a year on my X500 and have changed the oil every 25 hours since new. That equates to two oil changes per year which for an air cooled small engine is not excessive in my boot give than an oil/filter change costs about $15. My previous tractor was a 175 Hydro and I changed the oil on that one every 25 hours as well. It was still running like new when I sold it after 25+ years.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Old Pa-pa
11,972 Posts
This comes up all the time. For reasons that remain a mystery JD has removed the initial break-in oil change from the manuals on almost all of their lawn and garden equipment. If you go back to the manuals for earlier serial numbers, the 8-hour break-in oil change is still there.

The odd thing is if you go to the Briggs and Stratton website and look at the owner's manual for the Intek engine you will see they list a break-in oil change at 8 hours. So which manual would you believe, the manufacturer or the someone who is trying falsely lower the apparent cost of ownership? :)

Briggs and Stratton engines aren't what they used to be. If it were my machine I would do an initial engine oil and filter after 8 hours.

As for the 50 hours, that all depends on how much you use your machine. I put about 50 hours a year on my X500 and have changed the oil every 25 hours since new. That equates to two oil changes per year which for an air cooled small engine is not excessive in my boot give than an oil/filter change costs about $15. My previous tractor was a 175 Hydro and I changed the oil on that one every 25 hours as well. It was still running like new when I sold it after 25+ years.
You can say that again!!

I change the oil in my Snapper rear engine rider, generator and pressure washer approx. every 25 hours, all with Briggs engines.

And it dang sure can't hurt changing it at the first 8 hours either.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
866 Posts
Seems Deere likes to change their maintenance schedules every few years for no good reason. :laugh: The manual for my D160 says to change at 8 hours and every 50 after under normal conditions. The lcd hour meter flashed a reminder symbol at 8 hours. I haven't hit the 50 mark yet, since I mow with the 1025r now, but I changed it again at 25.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Seems Deere likes to change their maintenance schedules every few years for no good reason. :laugh: The manual for my D160 says to change at 8 hours and every 50 after under normal conditions. The lcd hour meter flashed a reminder symbol at 8 hours. I haven't hit the 50 mark yet, since I mow with the 1025r now, but I changed it again at 25.
Which is weird because the folks who make the engines (both B&S and Kawasaki) have not changed the maintenance schedule. :)

Reactions: jimmylh

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do the oil change after 5 or 8 hours (it doesnt really matter) and the put half good regular oil and half a good synthetic oil in it. Or use a synthetic blend. Run it for the regular 50 hours and the run full synthetic in it.

Synthetic oil makes the air cooled engine run cooler. After 50 hours, mine hasn't even changed color yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts