Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between Break In oil and Break In Plus oil? Is my 2038R a wet sleeve engine?

·
Premium Member
13,572 Posts
JD currently only offers Break-in Plus oil. I believe your engine is dry sleeve.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Break-in is limited to 250hrs life. Break-in Plus has an extended life of 500hrs.

2 articles-

Break-in Plus is a special purpose engine oil developed to be used in rebuilt or remanufactured engines and new John Deere engines during the initial break-in period.

This next generation oil is formulated to provide a controlled environment for piston rings and cylinder liners to establish a good surface mating for maximum performance and long engine life. At the same time, Break-In Plus provides the necessary wear protection for valve train and gears.

Application

Break-In Plus is designed to be used in rebuilt or remanufactured engines and new John Deere engines for the initial oil service interval. Operate the engine under various conditions, particularly heavy loads with minimal idling, to help seat engine components properly.

Break-In Plus delivers performance and protection for an initial service interval equal to that of our premium Plus-50 II. During the initial operation of a new or remanufactured engine with Break-In Plus, change the oil and filter between a minimum of 100 hours and a maximum of up to 500 hours. The 100 hour minimum applies to all new or remanufactured engines, regardless of Tier. The maximum service interval is the same as the service interval recommendations for Plus-50 and/or Plus-50 II, up to 500 hours. Check your operator manual for the maximum interval recommendation.

Features and Benefits

· Contains special additives to control piston ring and liner seating without scuffing

· These additives allow rings and liners to seat while protecting valve train and gears from wear

· Piston rings and liners establish a good wear pattern for maximum performance and extended engine life

Break-In Plus provides two major differences from traditional Break-In oil

· Meets the oil requirements for Interim Tier 4 (IT4) engines and supports all legacy engines

· Service drain interval up to 500 hours (1)

John Deere Break-In Plus Engine Oil can be used for all John Deere diesel engines at all emission certification levels.

(1) Always follow Operator Manual

Initial Service Intervals

The initial break-in service interval of a new or remanufactured wet sleeve engine with Break-In Plus must go at least 100 hours to assure the surface mating of the rings and liners has had an opportunity to occur. The 100 hour minimum applies to all new or remanufactured wet-sleeve John Deere diesel engines, regardless of Tier certification level.

The maximum initial oil service interval when using Break-In Plus is the same as the service interval recommendations for Plus-50 II.

This table indicates both the minimum and maximum recommended initial intervals when using Break-In Plus, Break-In, or a blend of the two:

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5452_fb_BreakInOil.htm

Matter of fact, here is a warning to not use the Plus50 sooner than the required break in period.

Diesel Engine Break-In Oil

New engines are filled at the factory with either John Deere Break-In™ or John Deere Break-In Plus™ Engine Oil. During the break-in period, add John Deere Break-In™ or Break-In Plus ™ Engine Oil, respectively, as needed to maintain the specified oil level.

Operate the engine under various conditions, particularly heavy loads with minimal idling, to help seat engine components properly.

If John Deere Break-In Engine Oil is used during the initial operation of a new or rebuilt engine, change the oil and filter at a maximum of 250 hours.

If John Deere Break-In Plus Engine Oil is used, change the oil and filter at a minimum of 100 hours and a maximum equal to the interval specified for John Deere Plus-50™ II or Plus-50 oil.

After engine overhaul, fill the engine with either John Deere Break-In™ or Break-In Plus™ Engine Oil.

If John Deere Break-In or Break-In Plus Engine Oil is not available, use an SAE 10W-30 viscosity grade diesel engine oil meeting one of the following and change the oil and filter at a maximum of 100 hours of operation:

API Service Classification CE
API Service Classification CD
API Service Classification CC
ACEA Oil Sequence E2
ACEA Oil Sequence E1

IMPORTANT: Do not use Plus-50™ II, Plus-50 or engine oils meeting any of the following for the initial break-in of a new or rebuilt engine:

API CJ-4

ACEA E9

API CI-4 PLUS

ACEA E7

API CI-4

ACEA E6

API CH-4

ACEA E5

API CG-4

ACEA E4

API CF-4

ACEA E3

API CF-2

API CF

These oils will not allow the engine to break in properly.

John Deere Break-In Plus™ Engine Oil can be used for all John Deere diesel engines at all emission certification levels.

After the break-in period, use John Deere Plus-50™ II, John Deere Plus-50, or other diesel engine oil as recommended in this manual.

OML204509
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However the owner manual for my 2520 states- change oil after 50 hrs. And- use multi-viscosity oil, and "DO NOT USE BREAK-IN OIL"?
Confusing isn't it?
Assuming my 2520 was filled with a break in oil leaving the factory and it needed to be changed out after 50 hrs.
Refer to your owners manual. And IMHO I wouldn't be in a hurry to change out the original oil sooner than the interval listed in your owners manual.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,356 Posts
I didn't change my engine oil till I had 200 hours on it as owners manual says to do. I know some did change way before that but not me. At over 900 hours on it now it is still running strong and doesn't use or leak oil. I now do every fluid change every 200 hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts