Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my new Z915E it came with a disc that I just watched yesterday after being down for my third retina surgery this year and it suggested an 8 hour break in oil change but the manual says 100 hour first oil change. As a tech for 30 years I change my oil every year if less than miles/hours mentioned and more often if I exceed the hours or time. What are other thoughts on this? I know with automotive manufactures they have the process down so good that breakin isn't the same as it was 30 or so years ago.

Regards,

Max

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
This has been discussed before in various forum sections. For probably what is FOREVER, all the JD manuals for gas-engine machines listed an initial break-in oil change as did the OEM manual (I think Kohler in this case).

Then, magically a couple years ago the break-in oil change started to disappear from many of the owners manuals. Same engine but suddenly no initial low-hour oil change.

In many cases, Kawasaki for example, they still list the 10-hour initial oil/filter change in the OEM service manual. In fact, I think every small engine manual I own all lists an initial break-in oil change. I'm not sure what JD is up to with some of the recent manual revisions but... all I do know is that I still do an 8-10 hr initial engine oil/filter change on everything with a small engine.

My X500 manual listed a 10-hr initial oil change and 100 hours after that. I change my oil/filter every 25 hours. That amounts to twice a year which when it comes to small air cooled engines is not excessive. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I know all forums have search engines but thought it best to ask to see if there were more members and more current information. Since I have to lay or sit face down for days to try to keep my Retina in place I just made the call to Kohler to ask them. They explained they have never had an 8 hour break in oil change and that they believed that was for different engines that John Deere used such as the Kawasaki. At one time they used a 20 hour recommendation but with better process, quality in manufacturing, material and oil they find it is no longer required or recommended. As stated I am still an ASE certified master even though I have been in management for the last 15 years and watched engines change dramatically over the course of my life. In the end it is a moot point I guess as I won't have 20 hours on it before the end of the season and already have supplies for it's first oil change which I do every winter on all the engines I have no matter the hours as fuel making it past the rings is the great killer of oil lubrication properties. I averaged on my Z445 about 40-50 hours a year all the years I had it so I guess the once a year should work fine for me in the future and believe the mower will probably out last me.

Regards,

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 5 series and did mine at 14 hours after reading a similar pot on this site. My Z has worked hard this year and im loving it.

Reactions: Logictox
1 - 4 of 4 Posts