Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya,

I know, a bit silly with the title but hey, that's me.

So the last couple weeks I decided to buy myself a Christmas present. a little back story, I used to be a gunsmith and had a full time shop for 16 years specializing in custom pistols and rifles. I've been out of the business for 7 years and frankly miss it. I'm talking to a few of my buddy's still in the business who can't keep up with demand and I'm going to sub contract some of the non bound-book work for them.

I initially was just going to go buy a new Jet, Acer or Sharpe J-head clone with a 3 axis DRO and X/Y power feeds and call it a day but as nice as they are, it just eats at me that they're clones and not the real deal. As I started to browse CL and the used equipment shops I found plenty of machines that would do the job but none that really stood out.

Oh sure, there were 20K machines right down to $500 rusted POS sitting outside in the weather. I sat and watched CL a few times a day to see what would pop up. a few days ago an ad showed up, said "70's era step pulley J head, like new"

Of course I doubted it but I sent my boiler plate questions:
"Any issues with the head/motor/quill? Head backgear OK? Quill power feed transmission/clutch good? Releases properly? Are the pulley dogs loud? Is it still hooked to power to hear it run? What's the backlash on the saddle and table?"

In return I got: "The machine is in 100% working condition. Spindle runout is less than 0.0005” TIR. Power quill feed works properly and clutch releases as intended. Back gears are excellent. Head is extremely quiet in both high gear and back gear. Very little backlash in the dog clutch. Table and saddle run smoothly over entire length of travel. About 0.015” backlash at worst point in both X & Y travel ( can probably be reduced by adjusting the nuts). Table top is near perfect. No mill or drill marks. Machine is under power. Not stated in the ad – this machine has one shot lubrication. The only thing that this machine needs is some paint. Was in a basement of a retired machinist but not used for at least 10 years other than big drill press"

Yep, got right on the phone and went to see it. Got to his shop and it was everything he said it was. Fired it up and didn't notice the motor was pulled forward so the belt didn't turn the spindle, shut it of and put proper tension on the belt, fired it back up and there was almost no difference in sound. The power transmission and clutch work properly, the backgears are super quiet. What he didn't say in his reply is the ways and the majority of the table surface have the famous BP frosting swirls on them, backing up his "like new" claim. I bought it on the spot. Came with a Bridgeport vise on a swivel base, 1/16" collet set, Jacobs chuck, 3" single bit fly cutter, saw arbor, 8 end mills, (3/8 to 3/4)

Picked it up this morning and here is is. The knee and ram are stiff and draggy from hardened way oil from sitting, the paint is ugly, chipped, crazed and one coat, appears from the factory. (not sure why it shows a blue hue in the picture, may be the LED worklight in my garage) There is dried oil residue everywhere, I'm currently letting some penetrating oil eat into the old oil and wiping it off as it loosens up.

First up on the list is a phase converter and a 3 axis DRO because I am sick of reading dials and having "oops". After that at least an X axis powerfeed, an XY if I can swing it but I may need to get some work out before I buy too many toys.

right side.JPG jhead.JPG front left.JPG

I tried to capture the frosting on the ways and table, you can see it but not great.
frosting tips.JPG

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
:yahoo::dance::yahoo:

Congrats Tom! :drinks:

One of these days I may score one myself.

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
Hiya,

I know, a bit silly with the title but hey, that's me.

So the last couple weeks I decided to buy myself a Christmas present. a little back story, I used to be a gunsmith and had a full time shop for 16 years specializing in custom pistols and rifles. I've been out of the business for 7 years and frankly miss it. I'm talking to a few of my buddy's still in the business who can't keep up with demand and I'm going to sub contract some of the non bound-book work for them.

I initially was just going to go buy a new Jet, Acer or Sharpe J-head clone with a 3 axis DRO and X/Y power feeds and call it a day but as nice as they are, it just eats at me that they're clones and not the real deal. As I started to browse CL and the used equipment shops I found plenty of machines that would do the job but none that really stood out.

Oh sure, there were 20K machines right down to $500 rusted POS sitting outside in the weather. I sat and watched CL a few times a day to see what would pop up. a few days ago an ad showed up, said "70's era step pulley J head, like new"

Of course I doubted it but I sent my boiler plate questions:
"Any issues with the head/motor/quill? Head backgear OK? Quill power feed transmission/clutch good? Releases properly? Are the pulley dogs loud? Is it still hooked to power to hear it run? What's the backlash on the saddle and table?"

In return I got: "The machine is in 100% working condition. Spindle runout is less than 0.0005” TIR. Power quill feed works properly and clutch releases as intended. Back gears are excellent. Head is extremely quiet in both high gear and back gear. Very little backlash in the dog clutch. Table and saddle run smoothly over entire length of travel. About 0.015” backlash at worst point in both X & Y travel ( can probably be reduced by adjusting the nuts). Table top is near perfect. No mill or drill marks. Machine is under power. Not stated in the ad – this machine has one shot lubrication. The only thing that this machine needs is some paint. Was in a basement of a retired machinist but not used for at least 10 years other than big drill press"

Yep, got right on the phone and went to see it. Got to his shop and it was everything he said it was. Fired it up and didn't notice the motor was pulled forward so the belt didn't turn the spindle, shut it of and put proper tension on the belt, fired it back up and there was almost no difference in sound. The power transmission and clutch work properly, the backgears are super quiet. What he didn't say in his reply is the ways and the majority of the table surface have the famous BP frosting swirls on them, backing up his "like new" claim. I bought it on the spot. Came with a Bridgeport vise on a swivel base, 1/16" collet set, Jacobs chuck, 3" single bit fly cutter, saw arbor, 8 end mills, (3/8 to 3/4)

Picked it up this morning and here is is. The knee and ram are stiff and draggy from hardened way oil from sitting, the paint is ugly, chipped, crazed and one coat, appears from the factory. (not sure why it shows a blue hue in the picture, may be the LED worklight in my garage) There is dried oil residue everywhere, I'm currently letting some penetrating oil eat into the old oil and wiping it off as it loosens up.

First up on the list is a phase converter and a 3 axis DRO because I am sick of reading dials and having "oops". After that at least an X axis powerfeed, an XY if I can swing it but I may need to get some work out before I buy too many toys.

View attachment 103305 View attachment 103313 View attachment 103321

I tried to capture the frosting on the ways and table, you can see it but not great.
View attachment 103329
Nice find Tom. Good luck with it. Wouldn't you know I recently gave away a 5 HP Roto-phase unit in like-new condition. Did you move that thing yourself? I want to come up and see it when you get it running.

Merry Christmas to you!!

Frank

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
Nice score Tom!
Have you considered a VFD for power?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
What a fantastic Christmas present!
:good2::yahoo::good2::yahoo:

Dave, I have not added DRO to my machine, yet. And I don't know which ones you are considering, but when I finally get in the spending mood I am buying form these guys DRO Pros. I have heard some very good things about them. Also, check out this site, Hobby-Machinist.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice score Tom!
Have you considered a VFD for power?
Ken,

Don't know yet, I haven't had to deal with phase converters before as my shop was located where 3 phase was available at the pole. I understand that the vfd type don't let the motor generate rated hp and that the rotary types allow full hp and torque but have higher voltage on the 3rd sine.

I may see about getting a single phase motor for it. There is a kit that has a 1-1/2hp Baldor 110/220 that would allow me to plug it into the wall and not have to deal with wiring and electricians. Yes, it wouldn't have the same torque but the motor being 50% more hp it should be the same.

Tom

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
Tom, VFDs do indeed allow full HP and offer variable speed as well. It is static phase converters that limit HP to 2/3rds.
Do some searching, I think you'll be impressed. I have three different machines in my shop powered by them and wouldn't change for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Nice Christmas present!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
African of course, the European Swallows are too small, best they can carry is a benchtop mill/drill.....

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
It's just a flesh wound. Come back here!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out the "migrating coconuts". :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get the feeling many here have no clue what we're talking about.:lol:
I must now go find a shrubbery........
Is your name Roger?

Oh what sad times these are when common ruffians can go about saying NI.....

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is your name Roger?

Oh what sad times these are when common ruffians can go about saying NI.....
....at will to old ladies.
12278693_1647027015558894_2495009747610504708_n.png

Father Maynard...bring up the holy hand grenade!
12191412_1641852739409655_4601235401822307369_n.jpg

You don't 'ave a horse-you've got 2 empty halves of coconuts bangin' 'em together.
10406975_1504782383116692_3320626286638365472_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hiya,

Decided to go the VFD route for powering it. The long term plans are to build a new shop so I was going to have a 220 line pulled to install a rotary phase converter but no sense going through that expense if it's only for a limited time. But as I talked to others, I was curious about the potential to vary the speed on it so I went with this. I'm still a bit concerned about the step wave heating the windings in a 40yo motor so I went a little overboard on the components:

VFD Drive: GS2-11P0

Input filter: LR-11P0-1PH

Brake load: GS-21P0-BR

Output reactor: LR-21P0

Remote panel: GS2-KPD

My plans are to mount the drive and other components in a pancake fan cooled medium NEMA box to the rear of the ram using the existing through hole, run a shielded 3 phase cable to the motor and a 12g 115v single phase power supply cord to a 20A wall plug. The remote VFD box will mount on the DRO arm. At full 1 HP load, it should pull 16A for the VFD/3 phase + 6w for the fan in the enclosure. The DRO will be on another circuit.

The input filter/reactor will smooth any spikes or transients on the 115v line, the brake load will allow 3 phase braking without inducing as much current in the windings and the output reactor will smooth the step wave output to be closer to a sine wave so there should be less heat generated in the motor windings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts