Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a new thread on this as the "Milling Machine Sizes" thread didn't seem right any more. Also thought some of you might enjoy seeing my pain and agony as I stumble my way through this. Maybe we can all learn somethings together. Here again is what I started with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My machine is a 1958 series 1 J. I would like to thank Kenny for providing me with a free copy of a home grown rebuild manual. It is a very good starting point and I provided a copy here. I also discovered this sight:

http://icai-online.com/

And preceded to order their renovating guide. I must admit, this was $20 well spent. Very good detail and lots of pictures. Highly recommened if your are considering owning a J head Bridgeport.

I also bought a table powerfeed servo, oiler, t-slot covers, oil, and new wipers. very good people to work with.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks Randy,
I'll be anxiously keeping tabs on your rebuild...From time to time I've seen "rough" Bridgeports advertised on CL for cheap money. If rebuilding works out for you I might go that route myself after I build my shop.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Helpful Hint

Dave, I would highly recommend getting one of the renovating books this place sells. I really wish I had a copy while trying to evaluate the machine. The info. is great for shopping as well as teardown and maintenance. I know it is a small up front expense but well worth it. That is if you know you are going with a Bridgeport.

http://icai-online.com/Bridgeport-1J-Repair-Service-Manual.html

The free one that Kenny supplied and I have attached in a previous post is a good start though. The purchased copy has many more pics and is perfectly detailed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks for the tip....having a "Home" for it would be the first step, so theres a ways to go before I even LOOK. I'd also like to wait hear your overall impression of parts availablity, etc... when your all done.

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Anxiously awaiting to see some chips flying Randy:good2:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Thanks for the link and attached files. An acquaintance of mine has a Bridgeport; but I don't know what year it is.

I hope you paint yours something other than yellow. :D

This should be an enjoyable thread to follow.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link and attached files. An acquaintance of mine has a Bridgeport; but I don't know what year it is.

I hope you paint yours something other than yellow. :D

This should be an enjoyable thread to follow.
You are welcome Matt. I am hoping we all can learn some things from this.

Well, the paint scheme is going to be the boring gray for a couple of reasons. The primary being it is more difficult to make a color change properly. The second if any of my color doesn't stick at least the underlying color will match.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont want to throw doubt into the mix...but if you get some good paint/primer, thats shouldnt be a problem...
:mocking:
That is true, or even a second coat, which I may have to do any way. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After two solid weeks of soaking in penatrating oil the ram and turret are now seperated. Of course I persuaded it just a bit.

Attachments

Reactions: Jim Timber

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Given the age of that mill, the parts appear to be in remarkably good condition, or it was rebuilt at some time in its past.

Either way I think you'll have a good tool when you're done.

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Yes, it looks in good shape-you can still see the frosting on the ways. The feed nut looks like is has a chunk out of it?

One note though: You should lift the table from more the one point, that's a lot of pressure in the T-slot and it could break out.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Given the age of that mill, the parts appear to be in remarkably good condition, or it was rebuilt at some time in its past.

Either way I think you'll have a good tool when you're done.
I am completely guessing, but I don't think anything has ever been done to this machine prior to this. All that old oil is taking some scrubbing to get it off. I am really pleased at how it is going and the actual condition of the mill. :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The feed nut looks like is has a chunk out of it?
There are two spots on the nut housing that look like that. They are on both bearing bores at the tail end. I looked really close at them and my conclusion is it was made that way. When closely looked at, it almost looks like some maching was involved. I need to get it cleaned and a closer look.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts