Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday I purchased a Yardman SC-8 chipper shredder with an 8hp Briggs on it.
(Engine looks to be original, not a replacement.)

Briggs motor has no ID/data plate or sticker that I can find.
There is some paint missing on the "front" of the gas tank, and I can tell there was once a yellow warning sticker in this area. Thinking maybe the engine model/serial sticker came off as well.

Chipper body has a sticker which shows
240-648-400 and
H150A

SC-8 was the model according to the seller (Facebook marketplace), but I haven't found anywhere on the machine that says SC-8 or anything similar. Google comes up with similar chippers when I search SC-8 though.

Trying to figure out an engine model so I can track down a manual in case I ever need it.
There seems to be two oil fill holes and two drain plugs, so also curious about that.

Also need a manual for the chipper/shredder itself.
Closest I can find is for MTD 242-648-000
Thinking this must be the appropriate manual, but if someone knows for sure one way or another, I'd appreciate knowing too. That number is so close to the one on my machine that I'm sure it has to be right, but never hurts to seek confirmation.

Need to track down reliable specifics on the chipping blades, as they currently couldn't handle 3/4" dry material in the chipping chute which is supposed to have 3" capacity. I'm sure they at least need sharpened, if not replaced.

20210110_171654.jpg 20210110_172004.jpg

Seems to be a solid, well built machine. Definitely better than the stuff being sold today.
Figured at least a couple people on here would have had one at some point, or might even still have it.

Thoughts? Thanks all!

David

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Sunday I purchased a Yardman SC-8 chipper shredder with an 8hp Briggs on it.
(Engine looks to be original, not a replacement.)

Briggs motor has no ID/data plate or sticker that I can find.
Nothing stamped on the valve cover?

Briggs and Stratton MODEL NUMBER LOOKUP
The model number will be 11 or 12 digits and can be found in one of many locations, including: by the starter, on the cylinder shield, on the metal shield, on the valve cover, above the spark plug, in front of the engine, above the muffler, or on the fuel tank.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
jgayman is correct. There's probably something stamped in the shroud. You might need to take the shroud off and clean it up. Those numbers are often faint and the indentations will fill with dust/dirt.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing stamped on the valve cover?

Briggs and Stratton MODEL NUMBER LOOKUP
The model number will be 11 or 12 digits and can be found in one of many locations, including: by the starter, on the cylinder shield, on the metal shield, on the valve cover, above the spark plug, in front of the engine, above the muffler, or on the fuel tank.
jgayman is correct. There's probably something stamped in the shroud. You might need to take the shroud off and clean it up. Those numbers are often faint and the indentations will fill with dust/dirt.

AWESOME! I'll go digging and see what I find!
Every piece of equipment I've dealt with thus far has had a sticker or plate fairly easy to find, but maybe they've got this one hidden to make it interesting.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,658 Posts
Well gentlemen, I have a 2000 B&S engine that has no model number on it anywhere. I have looked, oh how I have looked and there is no ID on it anywhere. I can provide you with pics of any place you'd like to prove my wrong. PLEASE prove me wrong. I have the manual, but it list 6 different models it covers. I just need to know which one it is so that I can get a parts manual and order parts for it.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread David. Just would like to get a similar answer as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well gentlemen, I have a 2000 B&S engine that has no model number on it anywhere. I have looked, oh how I have looked and there is no ID on it anywhere. I can provide you with pics of any place you'd like to prove my wrong. PLEASE prove me wrong. I have the manual, but it list 6 different models it covers. I just need to know which one it is so that I can get a parts manual and order parts for it.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread David. Just would like to get a similar answer as well.
You're good Randy!
I've looked mine over as much as I can without removing pieces which I haven't had time to do just yet.

What initially struck me as odd was that they'd hide it so thoroughly on a newer piece of equipment.
Newer as compared to the Hahn Eclipse tiller I recently inherited. Purchased new by my grandfather in 1965 or 66, and it has the model for the 4hp Briggs pretty prominently displayed. Now, I haven't been able to definitively match the model and type to a manual just yet, but I'm going to get as close as I can and then fiddle with the machine a bit to see if it's close enough.

Reactions: RandyM
1 - 6 of 6 Posts