Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our neighbor just purchased a new Troy-Bilt TB200 21" push mower and asked me for some help in assembling it. I noticed it has something called a Briggs & Stratton EXi "Check & Add Engine" that never requires an oil change. My first thought was COME AGAIN?

I looked it up and sure enough Briggs is saying with these new engines you never have to change the oil. All you have to do is add when required, and it's just straight 30 weight at that. Maybe it burns enough oil that simply adding oil occasionally will result in a complete change anyway within a season. :) They do seem to really stress changing the air filter and spark plug.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/campaigns/just-check-and-add.html

I don't know about you but I still think changing the oil at least once per season ain't a bad idea. It's getting really hard to find a good old fashioned push mower... you know, one which uses an engine with a throttle and a choke. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think its a really good idea if it works and an even better idea from a marketing standpoint. Most of your average homeowners will never change the oil, air filter, park plugs on a mower or trimmer. They are purchased cheap and looked at as disposable. This is something that everyone can handle, pull stick and either add oil or get to mowing.

I drove my '99 Buick Regal from 165k to 411k on 10-12k oil change intervals with cheap Autozone conventional oil. This stuff could have cut my oil change intervals by 60%!!!

·
Premium Member
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its a really good idea if it works and an even better idea from a marketing standpoint. Most of your average homeowners will never change the oil, air filter, park plugs on a mower or trimmer.
I agree but in this case while B&S says no oil changes are required they still stress that you MUST change the air filter and spark plug at the recommended intervals and use fuel additive when required. Which as you say, folks probably still won't do.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Depending on how easy they engineered the job to be, it may only require one tool in even the most basic socket set. Oil is dirty and requires more work. I think this idea will make the other tasks easier for a general homeowner to tackle.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That is something new, I am all about scheduled maintenance. Mind you my father in-law has a craftsmen lawn tractor that is 10-12 years old that has never had a oil/plug/filter change. Checks the oil, adds gas and goes. Sorta like his truck LOL:banghead:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
this was brought up in a previous thread I think, I have a (lazy) friend who bought one of those. It claims "no oil changes for the life of the engine" WELL NO ****! if it blows up in 5 years from dirty oil...that's no oil changes for the life of the engine. lol

Apparently...these engines are rated for a few 500 hour life, and so is the oil.

Sad state of affairs...I have a couple Craftsman mowers that are over 20 years old, good luck doing that without an oil change.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Most people who buy a self propelled walk behind lawn mower have small 1/4 acre lots and spend about 35 minutes mowing per cut, maybe 2x per week. If you do that year round that's about 60 or so hours per year...500 hr life puts you around 8 years of use. If you live up north, double that. This is a perfect product and marketing campaign for its target demographic. You can get a Craftsman for $300, if you get 5 years out of it your average cost of ownership is $5/month...it's made to be disposable and easy for the owner.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sad state of affairs...I have a couple Craftsman mowers that are over 20 years old, good luck doing that without an oil change.
Yes I currently own a PGT5000 Craftsman garden tractor 26HP Kohler, and ran a 18.5 HP Craftsman for many years, sold it when I bought my 1025R, maintenance is everything. He does that with all his things, run till they break then fix. :dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts