Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old D105 with 22 hours. It has been great, no issues, no sounds, no squeaks, etc. Over the past winter, I spun a bearing on a 11 year old 10HP 30" Snowblower. (had a now defunct Tecumseh engine in it).

I bit the bullet and ordered chains, weights, a snow cab, and 44" snowblower from my local JD dealer, picked up everything last week and the snowblower last night. I keep reading on the internet about the weak transmissions on the lower D series mowers, since I have a CVT and not a hydro I figured I would give it a shot. Ill post some photos once I get everything going then Ill do a snow dance and hope for some snow to try it all out.

Thanks for this site I have been lurking for a while and finally signed up a few minutes ago.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks for this site I have been lurking for a while and finally signed up a few minutes ago.
What took ya so long?

And:

:wgtt:

·
Premium Member
14,382 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,652 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

Welcome to a fellow New Yorker.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is more of an issue with plowing that blowing with these mowers. The blower does a lot of the work that a blade makes the transmission do. The transmission in the D-105 is different from the 40/46's in most other box store Deer's. It is something they came out with last year, and I guess time will tell if it is better or worse. Happy blowing.

Where are you on the island? I lived in Smithville or was it Smithtown... the one with the bull, for a few years back in the early 70's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418100140.912986.jpg

And everything is set up. Driving around my yard with it, I noticed its heavy. I feel the weight in the steering, I didn't put on the weights or chains because there isn't any snow in the forecast but everything ready to go. One rant, the "bearings" (bushings) than go in between the lift arm and the snowblower housing, did not fit onto the lift arm, I had to file the insides of the bushings larger and sand the powder costing thinner on the arm.

Also, I saw somewhere on a forum an issue with one of the pulleys collecting water and causing issues it looks like they fixed it by making the inner portion of the pulley thicker than the outside and they also drilled holes to avoid pooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is more of an issue with plowing that blowing with these mowers. The blower does a lot of the work that a blade makes the transmission do. The transmission in the D-105 is different from the 40/46's in most other box store Deer's. It is something they came out with last year, and I guess time will tell if it is better or worse. Happy blowing.

Where are you on the island? I lived in Smithville or was it Smithtown... the one with the bull, for a few years back in the early 70's
Yea smithtown. I'm east of there, not far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
Driving around my yard with it, I noticed its heavy. I feel the weight in the steering,
I think the weight is why many dealers won't recommend the plow or blower for the D-series until you get up to the D160/D170. The slightly larger size of the tractor itself and the larger tires they come with help with that weight issue. It is quite a bit of weight hanging off the front end of a tractor that size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So we got a blizzard. I did an acre parking lot and my driveway. I have the chains but no suitcase weights (after this I may order them) the tractor performed flawless. the transmission seems to be really strong and has a nice solid feel.

I think this was a way bigger project then this machine was ever designed to do, but it worked. We had 21" of snow on the ground and it took me 8 hours to do the lot (with 2 aprons that were buried from snow plows doing the road) and my driveway only took an hour. If the snow occurred during the day I would have worked on it during the snow but it was an overnight event I didnt get working on it until it was done snowing and the roads were open.

IMG_7349_zpsff84855b.jpeg
IMG_6054_zps41490b38.jpg
IMG_6057_zps69ffb4d8.jpg
IMG_6055_zpsa424a17b.jpg
IMG_6056_zps917cc42b.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
I'd agree that Deere probably doesn't envision people using a D105 for a parking lot that large but it looks like it did a bang up job!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, seasons over. I started with only 22 hours on the machine and now I have 51 hours. nothing broke, changed the oil all clean. all in all no issues at all with the machine and Im happy with the set up. I was greasing the fittings at 4 hour intervals because of the amount of weight I was putting on the wheel bushings, they survived with no noticeable play.

Looking forward to putting the mower deck back on it and cutting some grass. The funny thing, I read a bunch of reviews saying the d105 was not suitable for cutting lawns on hills because of the transmission, I would like to tell every one of those people they do not know what they are talking about and this little guy is tough. :greentractorride:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts