Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking into some wheel spacers for my JD1025R with 60”mmm. I’m undecided on which to get and would like some opinions. I’ve read on here both have excellent products so that’s not an issue. I am thinking aluminum to prevent rust from forming in our humidity which is always an issue. So I need opinions on that decision. I do prefer American made when possible but North America is fine, so that becomes a non-issue. A big issue is the warranty. Yes, Bora brags about their lifetime warranty, I didn’t see a warranty for Bro-Tek but I’m on my phone. Bora’s warranty states the spacers must be put on by a qualified mechanic or tire place, or the warranty is void. It also says that the lugs must be checked after 5 miles. I read someone’s post saying 10 hours. Which means having a professional checking torque to keep the warranty in effect. I reached out to my JD dealership and they want $180 for installation and I imagine the same just to check the torque is good. Plus not having a trailer means I would have to pay for hauling it back and forth- twice. Their great mechanic moved on and I’m not sure of the guy working there now. They’ve had others who weren’t the best. However, Bro-Tek assumes we are putting these on ourselves by their excellent instructions. Any opinions one way or the other?

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,918 Posts
You might be overthinking this... I don't see ever needing warranty on something like this.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I have 1.4" Brotek and I installed mine myself. I'm not worried about warranty on a part that only cost $200. 🤷‍♂️
Just tighten to torque value in the manual and if your worried about bolts backing out. A little bit of blue loctite will help.

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I have bought several sets from Motorsport tech / Bora over the years. Never been disappointed.
I would advise that the lead times are sometime quite long, though what isn't now days.
That could be because, I am always wanting a custom built version.
They could have some stock sizes they keep on hand, I am not sure, they could all be built to order.

I order all my tractor spacers in steel with solid centers. The solid centers are I am told more difficult to make and do cost extra.
I then paint them to match the OEM hub color, which makes my tractors still look factory original even with the spacers on . Just a little OCD on my part I am sure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be overthinking this... I don't see ever needing warranty on something like this.
I may very well be overthinking it’s probably a curse. And there’s just about an $80 difference between the two, so just a decent dinner for two. However, I’m guessing the price point difference is in the warranty it also doesn’t allow locktite to be used. Warranties are only useful when you need them and I’m not impressed with all of Bora’s rules.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 1.4" Brotek and I installed mine myself. I'm not worried about warranty on a part that only cost $200. 🤷‍♂️
Just tighten to torque value in the manual and if your worried about bolts backing out. A little bit of blue loctite will help.
Thanks! Bro-tek says to use the blue locktite which is normally what I do anyways

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have bought several sets from Motorsport tech / Bora over the years. Never been disappointed.
I would advise that the lead times are sometime quite long, though what isn't now days.
That could be because, I am always wanting a custom built version.
They could have some stock sizes they keep on hand, I am not sure, they could all be built to order.

I order all my tractor spacers in steel with solid centers. The solid centers are I am told more difficult to make and do cost extra.
I then paint them to match the OEM hub color, which makes my tractors still look factory original even with the spacers on . Just a little OCD on my part I am sure.
I get OCD! In the humidity of NC, would steel be the better choice? How often do you have to paint them? I’m very ignorant on spacers and didn’t realize they aren’t solid.Do you mind enlightening me?
Everything seems to be delayed. Steel made in the USA is very hard to come by and the price of any steel has skyrocketed this year. We just don’t have the big steel companies that we used to. Most is being outsourced to China. We probably shouldn’t have sold our scrap to them IMHO. I assume all metals are in the same boat, right along with lumber.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I'm not worried about warranty on a part that only cost $200. 🤷‍♂️
I agree!

I installed 2" aluminum Bora spacers a number years ago. Last fall, I removed the wheels to check the torque and nothing had changed. Like MarkEagleUSA said, your overthinking this. There's no way in hell I'd pay someone $180 to install these.

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I get OCD! In the humidity of NC, would steel be the better choice? How often do you have to paint them? I’m very ignorant on spacers and didn’t realize they aren’t solid.Do you mind enlightening me?
Everything seems to be delayed. Steel made in the USA is very hard to come by and the price of any steel has skyrocketed this year. We just don’t have the big steel companies that we used to. Most is being outsourced to China. We probably shouldn’t have sold our scrap to them IMHO. I assume all metals are in the same boat, right along with lumber.
I have only had to paint them once so far. Doesn't cost much or take much time to rattle can them JD green.
I buy the steel because with tractors the more weight the better. I spend plenty of money on getting as much counter weight on the tractor as I can with filled tires, wheel weights, heavy hitches etc. Why go with a lighter material on the wheel spacers. Aluminum is great for on vehicles or race cars etc. where keeping the rotating mass as low as possible is a generally a good thing, not so with tractor applications. So I go with steel and I pay the extra fee to have them made with solid centers rather then the open center style .

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I think if you can put them on than you are a qualified mechanic...Be really hard for them to deny warranty unless you couldn't put them on correctly.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,918 Posts
I think if you can put them on than you are a qualified mechanic...Be really hard for them to deny warranty unless you couldn't put them on correctly.
And their warranty only covers "defects in material and workmanship" which has nothing to do with installation. I suppose a poor installation could affect them but it's a product that either works or doesn't. They'll either fit or they won't. Etc, etc, etc...

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I installed my Bora 5 1/2 inch spacers myself with no help. My biggest problem was I had 110# wheel weights on the wheels.

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Like already said. Don't over think it. I installed 1.50 Bro-Teks on mine with some blue lock tite. Easy peasy. Throw'em on & enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3046R, 320R loader, 375A BH, 72D MMM, 4406H BB, County Line Landscape Rake, Fimco 40gal 3pt sprayer
133 Posts
I got 3" Bora's for mine and slapped them on myself. Lead time was actually pretty impressive but mine were just generic aluminum for a 3R so they probably had them on hand. Just don't forget the threadlocker on the inner bolts. Since they're covered by the wheel itself, you have to remove it to check the torque and they could probably cause some serious damage if they back out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have only had to paint them once so far. Doesn't cost much or take much time to rattle can them JD green.
I buy the steel because with tractors the more weight the better. I spend plenty of money on getting as much counter weight on the tractor as I can with filled tires, wheel weights, heavy hitches etc. Why go with a lighter material on the wheel spacers. Aluminum is great for on vehicles or race cars etc. where keeping the rotating mass as low as possible is a generally a good thing, not so with tractor applications. So I go with steel and I pay the extra fee to have them made with solid centers rather then the open center style .
Thanks so much! I don’t have filled tires anymore, it was tearing up my grass and for me the constant use of mowing is it’s main job. I do miss them when I’m working with logs as the extra weight was great. But as everything in life, there’s give and take. With the extra weight of the steel, will my grass start tearing up again?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Don't mean to get off of the question at hand due to the MMM size it looks like the largest size I can install is the 1.5" with just the 1.5" do you guys notice a difference when mowing sidehills or any other projects? Just wondering.

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
241 Posts
Don't mean to get off of the question at hand due to the MMM size it looks like the largest size I can install is the 1.5" with just the 1.5" do you guys notice a difference when mowing sidehills or any other projects? Just wondering.

Thanks
Doug
a friend used 1.5 inch spacers and he noticed a difference but he has a pretty flat yard except for one slight hill I went with 2 inch and I noticed a big difference

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Bora is 8 weeks on steel.
At least that was what was quoted on the 2" Steel spacers I order for the front of my 4066R yesterday.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Thanks so much! I don’t have filled tires anymore, it was tearing up my grass and for me the constant use of mowing is it’s main job. I do miss them when I’m working with logs as the extra weight was great. But as everything in life, there’s give and take. With the extra weight of the steel, will my grass start tearing up again?
No, we are not talking massive weight difference.
Depending on the size of spacer needed I would not expect more then an 20lb per side difference max.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts