·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yes I do no interference to report, and so far sod friendly

·
Registered
2025R, 455
52 Posts
I just did the 200 hr service on my 2018 TLB. I decided to upgrade from r4 to Versa turf (radial r3). I never had the r4’s filled, but always run with ballast of some kind when running the loader. I think the tire diameter is larger on these, A) it’s close to the deck. B) it’s very different from a ‘tippy’ perspective. I have 5 yards to topsoil, moved about half with the r4’s (unloaded tires, loader, backhoe, no MMM) and had the usual feel. I moved the second half with the Versa-turf and I had a number of ‘pucker’ moments. I think I’ll call bro-tek and discuss clearance with the MMM with these tires and see if the spacers will work. If not, I’ll try loading them, all else fails, I’ll post the Versa-turf on CL and go back to the r4’s. I know that TTWT runs Versa-turfs, I think BOBL does too on his 1023e. Anybody else have luck with radial r3 and spacers?
Curious to hear more feedback on your experiences with these tires, and if you got spacers.
I'm currently on R4s, but looking at VersaTurfs for the grass, and spacers because of how hilly my area is.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Curious to hear more feedback on your experiences with these tires, and if you got spacers.
I'm currently on R4s, but looking at VersaTurfs for the grass, and spacers because of how hilly my area is.
I know you were talking to [mention]scooterman [/mention] , but I’ll answer anyway.

I really like the versaturfs. I now run them at very low pressure so that they have a little ‘squat’ to them. I have mine loaded with Rimguard. I find them as good as r4 for traction, and much easier on the lawn.

Tim

·
Registered
2025R, 455
52 Posts
I know you were talking to [mention]scooterman [/mention] , but I’ll answer anyway.

I really like the versaturfs. I now run them at very low pressure so that they have a little ‘squat’ to them. I have mine loaded with Rimguard. I find them as good as r4 for traction, and much easier on the lawn.

Tim
Hey Tim, thanks for the feedback. Most people have said similar things, that they really love the tires. This is the first post probably I've seen where someone did not like them.
Local tire shop can get me all 4 mounted/tax for $725 out-the-door. Ends up being cheaper this way than going through Miller/Gallagher etc.
Then see what I can get for these new R4s.

·
Registered
2025R, 455
52 Posts
OK this mystery is solved after some more digging. :LOL:

I feel better now about ordering them! I'm glad he cleared the air with the tires.

So.... yeah... I updated the title because I fixed this.

Honestly, it's embarrassing.... So, I went premium with the tractor, but went 'lowest-bidder' on my tire pressure gauge :(

My gauge read 22 lbs, I only had 16 in each tire.

Once I got a new gauge, I started going through ALL my tires. Between, cars, toys, tractor, bikes, trailers, and one 3-wheel stroller... I have 57 tires needing air. I decided to use my gaff as impetus for an upgrade:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I LOVE them. I find very Few imprints in the lawn after mowing. The only time I run into trouble is when it’s wet, the tires do have a lot of traction; in cases where my r4’s would spin / slide, the versa turfs may rip the turf a bit if you gun-it. With my r4’s, every right turn would have some kind of scrape, now I never see them unless I’m in 4wd, it’s wet and I turn to the stops.

honestly though, I haven’t seen that for quite a while. The traction in the woods, ride, everything is just better

Reactions: Dave88LX

·
Registered
629 Posts
I did not get spacers.

Reactions: Dave88LX

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
My 1025R has the Mauser cab and frankly, I have been extremely pleased with the cabs fit, finish, quality and it has dramatically altered my snow plowing experiences. The cab also caused my driveway snow plowing business to drastically expand, up to about 24 driveways in my neighborhood.

The cab changes the balance of the tractor, and I would say the change is "profound". I have been careful and properly ballasted my tractor. Between the narrow wheel tracking of this machine with the outside measurement of the rear tires at a mere 48" and the added 400 plus pounds of the cab weight, it was clear more was needed to help stabilize the machine.

I watched others make changes to their machine and I considered many different products, brands and approaches. After extensive consideration, I recently contacted Richard at Bro Tek Wheel spacers and spoke with him about the wheel spacers he makes and sells. He recommended the 3" rear wheel spacers and that was the width I was planning on purchasing.

Please note, he will make pretty much anything you need. Just because its not on his website, doesn't mean its not available. Call him and speak with him, he is a very knowledgeable and helpful man. He was pleasant and thorough and assured me I would be pleased with the wheel spacers he was sending me.

I ordered the wheel spacers and the total cost was $285. He mentioned he was giving me a break on the shipping costs, which I think reduced the cost from $300 to the $285. I ordered them during the days just before Labor Day and it took a week for them to get to me via the USPS.

Once I gave Richard the information about the product I wanted, and my contact information, he emailed me an Invoice and I paid the invoice and he promptly sent me a paid receipt and information about tracking the shipping.

The product was packed extremely well, here are photos of the package as I was opening it. Note, the way the wheel spacers were packed perfectly and the hardware was in the center of the two spacers.

The product is very nicely made and the machining is outstanding. My wife asked me why the wheel spacers are made "so pretty" if no one can even see them. I explained it's all part of the machining process of the billet aluminum blocks. The attention to detail is impressive, they fit PERFECTLY......
Did you also get spacers for the front? I was just comparing my tractors and i noticed the most stable one is the one with wider apart front wheels. Got me to thinkin :)

·
Registered
2025R, 455
52 Posts
Will the spacers up front do much? Thinking of suspension articulation of sorts, the back end is going to have to get pretty high up and over before the front tilts far enough to start lifting up a wheel. Would it already be past the point of no return?

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,092 Posts
Will the spacers up front do much? Thinking of suspension articulation of sorts, the back end is going to have to get pretty high up and over before the front tilts far enough to start lifting up a wheel. Would it already be past the point of no return?
Front spacers won't do anything until the front axle meets it max pivot, and by then it's probably too late to matter.

Also, Deere doesn't recommend front spacers due to increased bearing loads from the FEL.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Because the front wheel is further out on the down hill side it tends add stability especially on turns. I bush hog some hills that are fairly steep and i have to uturn on the slope and can't do that with the 2032r. At least not untill i put spacers on it

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Front spacers won't do anything until the front axle meets it max pivot, and by then it's probably too late to matter.

Also, Deere doesn't recommend front spacers due to increased bearing loads from the FEL.
Widening the front wheels does a lot for stability on hills and I'm not guessing i know from experiencing. Of course it will increase bearing wear basic physics. My hill tractor is not a deere its a Ford and has been working every year with never any issues for 46 years so far. Well not true their is one issue the seat support no longer works correctly

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,092 Posts
Widening the front wheels does a lot for stability on hills and I'm not guessing i know from experiencing. Of course it will increase bearing wear basic physics. My hill tractor is not a deere its a Ford and has been working every year with never any issues for 46 years so far. Well not true their is one issue the seat support no longer works correctly
If the front axle pivots, any stability comes from the rear axle until the front hits the pivot stop. At max pivot the opposite rear tire is likely off the ground.

• Love
Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
If the front axle pivots, any stability comes from the rear axle until the front hits the pivot stop. At max pivot the opposite rear tire is likely off the ground.
Yes, but the wider front stance means when it lifts it takes longer to react giving operator more time to adjust. Been in the position you describe more than once. I always drive at the slowest speed possible. the width acts kinda like outriggers on a sailboat. You feel the danger before it happens. I'm going to look into modifying mine to see if it improves its stability. Right now in factory configuration it spooks me on anything but absolutely flat ground

41 - 55 of 55 Posts