Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Main drive shaft come unbuttoned from the front shaft.
There's a roll pin in the u joint that I can't budge. It's mostly out but enough of the pin is still inside the u joint to where there's no slipping it back on the front shaft. The spline will hit the pin.

I'm not familiar with how this comes off and on. There's a snap ring on the u joint.
Seems there should be some type of release button. If so, it's gone, forever, in the woods and mud.

lil Help please.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
So that pin just worked out on its own?

Wondering how it came off if it won't go back on.

Likely the pin has a burr on it. You might drive it back in a bit and the polish it with a little piece of sand paper or emery cloth, then try driving it the rest of the way out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the rubber boot and clamp off, it was ripped.
This explains the burning rubber and blue smoke right before dark yesterday.
I was dragging downed trees away from my creek/ditch,,,,,,in a pretty narly off camber area.
Pushing little johnny a bit too hard I'm sure.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Get a piece of brass rod that is close enough in diameter to hammer the roll pin out With out any additional damage. And replace the roll pin.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a piece of brass rod that is close enough in diameter to hammer the roll pin out With out any additional damage
Man I'm at my fishin camp, in the woods. Behind the Pine Curtain. Limited tools.
Dealer is 35 miles away.
NAPA store 10 miles.

Beating the pin out, or in is possible. The beating part I don't like.
And how exactly is it supposed to be removed and installed on the front spline?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Man I'm at my fishin camp, in the woods. Behind the Pine Curtain. Limited tools.
Dealer is 35 miles away.
NAPA store 10 miles.

Beating the pin out, or in is possible. The beating part I don't like.
And how exactly is it supposed to be removed and installed on the front spline?
A better way I should have worded it is to tamp it in or out. If you tamp it in as opposed to tamping out with a brass rod, use a brass light hammer. Since your distant from things due to location you can try and improvise, ideally with a softer tool metal than the pin and shaft. I’ve used a c clamp with a scrap piece of lead to do a press fit. You have a total solvable problem, let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
Dealer is 35 miles away.
NAPA store 10 miles.
Sounds like an Apollo 13 fix is in order.

Do you have something that will fit in the hole that you can drive out the pin with? Maybe a nail that you could cut/grind the point off of?

I don't think there will be an orientation issue, just so the pin can go back through the hole would be the only alignment issue that I know of.

If you do have to re-use that pin, I would at least put a band clamp over it and tighten that sucker up real tight.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Cork, You've got a "road trip" coming! The first thing you need is to remove the snap ring...that's "supposed" to hold that pin in place. Under the snap ring should be a hole that you can put a pin punch in and drive the pin out. Go to NAPA and get a pair of snap ring pliers and a set of pin pinches. While you're there, get some stainless steel safety wire also...or ask them for a paper clip(I'll get to this!) I'd also get parts cleaner...to clean spline & yoke...and grease. Axle grease comes in a tub, apply with fingers, and is better than nothing!

Looking at parts catalog, it looks like the opposite end will slide on its spline...no pin. Once your pin is out, slide drive shaft back, ALIGN HOLES in yoke, and slide on. Slide a pin punch through to ensure hole in yoke & shaft are in line. Install pin and then snap ring. Place ears of snap ring at 90º to pin, THEN, run safety wire or paper clip through holes in snap ring and twist as tight as you can get it. If snap ring should somehow rotate and the opening between the "ears" is above the pin, the wire will prevent the ears from spreading and the pin backing out...which I believe is what happened.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but certain equipment is needed for certain repairs. Bob

·
Registered
455 Posts
From what I can make out from the photos, you have neither a spring pin nor a roll pin (often called split pins). To me, it looks like a plain ol' pin! If you plan on replacing it, IT'S METRIC, 6mm...1/4 will be loose.

Is this tractor new to you or new from dealer. Perhaps a previous owner "fixed" a previous problem. Bob

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cork, You've got a "road trip" coming! The first thing you need is to remove the snap ring...that's "supposed" to hold that pin in place. Under the snap ring should be a hole that you can put a pin punch in and drive the pin out. Go to NAPA and get a pair of snap ring pliers and a set of pin pinches. While you're there, get some stainless steel safety wire also...or ask them for a paper clip(I'll get to this!) I'd also get parts cleaner...to clean spline & yoke...and grease. Axle grease comes in a tub, apply with fingers, and is better than nothing!

Looking at parts catalog, it looks like the opposite end will slide on its spline...no pin. Once your pin is out, slide drive shaft back, ALIGN HOLES in yoke, and slide on. Slide a pin punch through to ensure hole in yoke & shaft are in line. Install pin and then snap ring. Place ears of snap ring at 90º to pin, THEN, run safety wire or paper clip through holes in snap ring and twist as tight as you can get it. If snap ring should somehow rotate and the opening between the "ears" is above the pin, the wire will prevent the ears from spreading and the pin backing out...which I believe is what happened.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but certain equipment is needed for certain repairs. Bob
Thanks !!!

Safety wire! Man you must work on old motorcicls or airplanes. I got safety wire and the tool,,,,200 miles from here. :banghead:

Sure appreciate ya Bob.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what I can make out from the photos, you have neither a spring pin nor a roll pin (often called split pins). To me, it looks like a plain ol' pin! If you plan on replacing it, IT'S METRIC, 6mm...1/4 will be loose.

Is this tractor new to you or new from dealer. Perhaps a previous owner "fixed" a previous problem. Bob

Bought it used.
I'm headed back to the woods.

Thanks to all

I'll report back tonight.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back in binness. No trip to town, no new parts. :cheers:

My buddy down the road has plenty of tools.
Snap ring pliers, 3 different drift pins.
Took driveshaft off

Spray lubed front and rear splines. Left my grease gun at the camp. Borrowed some grease from the zerk areas on the loader :laugh:

Snap ring pliers we brought couldn't quite remove the snap ring, but opened it up enough to hold the back side with a big screwdriver, and with 4 hands were able to get the pin out.

Put back together with left ear and eye full of dirt.
Able to drive pin through and then rotate the snap ring.

No safety wire, I'll takes my chances til I get back home.
Will then have a concrete floor in my shop and will need to pull it all back apart to replace the boot.
May buy a new pin and snap ring at that time, andmaybe I won't. :laugh:

Lost half a dang day. :nunu:

2 cold chicken legs, few tater chips, and back to work.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Bought it used.
I'm headed back to the woods.

Thanks to all

I'll report back tonight.
It is a split roll pin. This is how the Shaft comes off. Drive the pin out, clean up the splines, put a waterproof grease on both the front and back splines, put the shaft on, drive the pin back in, put the snap ring back on and you are done. I just did that to put grease on the rear splines, as I was starting to get wear/slip. This isn't a fix, it is just a reassembly. Probably the snap ring got dislodged by the stick.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have you got a set of vise-grips, and a hammer? If so, clamp the grips to the pin and hit the grips with the hammer to finish driving the pin out. Then you can reattach the driveshaft over the splines, and then drive the pin back in place, at least enough to get the tractor out of the woods and back to somewhere you have more tools and time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts