Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a two year old 1025R that I had purchased brand new. Unfortunately, when I was using my RC2048 rotary cutter the other day on some weeds, I heard a horrible sound and immediately shut everything down. My autoconnect PTO and other parts had broken off and were under the rotary cutter! From what I can tell (see attached pictures), the PTO shaft must have broken and caused the whole thing to fall down. I did not have the mower deck on at the time, and had everything for the mower lift arms in the locked position. I've always kept everything greased and start the PTO with the RPMs all the way down.

Since I'm one year out of warranty, I'm debating if it's even worth it to take it to the dealer to have them contact John Deere to see if they could do anything. It looks like it's around $700 in parts for the tractor mounted autoconnect parts. I talked to the dealer and they said I have to bring the whole tractor in so they could photograph it to show John Deere (not just the mangled parts).

I'm wondering if I could buy someone's mechanical lift parts that had converted to autoconnect for significantly less money. Anyone have those parts lying around?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bummer, that's a good amount of damage. I would go back to the site where the accident happened and look for a rock. In the first photo, it appears the linkage corner and autoconnect bearing frame took a hit as evidenced by the gouged steel. If I were John Deere, that is the first thing that would catch my eye. If no rock, be ready for a good explanation to that question.

I am less of a help on replacement parts - I'm sure other members have better ideas. Sure, you can check local classifieds and ebay. You can also price out the parts on GreenFarmParts.com, a vendor I like and use. They will be lower than list.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I looked over the site real well and there was just some pencil thin brush and weeds. Keep in mind, once it came off, it was getting whacked by the rotary cutter. I suspect this is where the gouges came from.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Hello,

I have a two year old 1025R that I had purchased brand new. Unfortunately, when I was using my RC2048 rotary cutter the other day on some weeds, I heard a horrible sound and immediately shut everything down. My autoconnect PTO and other parts had broken off and were under the rotary cutter! From what I can tell (see attached pictures), the PTO shaft must have broken and caused the whole thing to fall down. I did not have the mower deck on at the time, and had everything for the mower lift arms in the locked position. I've always kept everything greased and start the PTO with the RPMs all the way down.

Since I'm one year out of warranty, I'm debating if it's even worth it to take it to the dealer to have them contact John Deere to see if they could do anything. It looks like it's around $700 in parts for the tractor mounted autoconnect parts. I talked to the dealer and they said I have to bring the whole tractor in so they could photograph it to show John Deere (not just the mangled parts).

I'm wondering if I could buy someone's mechanical lift parts that had converted to autoconnect for significantly less money. Anyone have those parts lying around?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Whew!!! What a mess!! Actually the mechanical lift parts really do not have anything to do with the auto-connect. I believe what you are referring to is the manual connect driveshaft. You should be able to get a new manual connect driveshaft.

Reactions: ensign

·
Premium Member
14,875 Posts
Wow that is bad,,and yes that is going to cost someone a large amount of money.:gizmo:

Just wondering if a branch , small tree may have snagged the auto connect parts. :dunno::dunno:

Reactions: ensign and BigJim55

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
You were running on rear pto only and all that assembly fell right out?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were running on rear pto only and all that assembly fell right out?
Yes. I don't know the sequence of events other than hearing the awful sound that turned out to be the rotary cutter hitting the assembly. I suspect that the pto shaft might have almost been broken before using the rotary cutter, but can't confirm.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I can't wrap my head around why the mid PTO shaft came off at the transaxle end. This shaft has that locking collar on it that will not let that end of the shaft come off unless you physically pull the collar toward that shaft and pull it off.
It is really hard to determine what happened first but something caused that end of the PTO shaft to come off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't wrap my head around why the mid PTO shaft came off at the transaxle end. This shaft has that locking collar on it that will not let that end of the shaft come off unless you physically pull the collar toward that shaft and pull it off.
It is really hard to determine what happened first but something caused that end of the PTO shaft to come off.
I physically removed the collar myself to better photograph the carnage. The collar stayed where it was supposed to.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What a mess....very sorry this happened to you. :dunno:

I'd throw the pto autoconnect in the trash where it belongs, and just get a manual connect driveshaft.

Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a mess....very sorry this happened to you. :dunno:

I'd throw the pto autoconnect in the trash where it belongs, and just get a manual connect driveshaft.

Good luck!
I'm having a hard time distinguishing the various parts involved. Does the manual pto shaft fit the same on the mower deck gearbox, or would that have to be changed too?

·
Registered
375 Posts
There is a reason that John Deere switched from a threaded rod to a welded assembly on that part of the deck lift assembly. . From the pictures it looks like both nuts sheared off (which has been known to happen). Were the two lift arms still attached to the tractor?

JD "might" warranty this failure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a reason that John Deere switched from a threaded rod to a welded assembly on that part of the deck lift assembly. . From the pictures it looks like both nuts sheared off (which has been known to happen). Were the two lift arms still attached to the tractor?

JD "might" warranty this failure.
Yes, the lift arms remained intact.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I physically removed the collar myself to better photograph the carnage. The collar stayed where it was supposed to.
OK, that answers that question. :dunno: No clue why the rest fell off.

Reactions: BigJim55 and ensign

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What a mess....very sorry this happened to you.

Good luck!
I'm having a hard time distinguishing the various parts involved. Does the manual pto shaft fit the same on the mower deck gearbox, or would that have to be changed too?
I'll send you a picture of my manual setup when I get home. the mid shaft for the mower is affixed to the input shaft of the mower gearbox with a set screw, and attaches directly to the splined output shaft of the PTO with the spring-loaded collar that keeps it on. fool-proof setup, and takes a whopping 15 seconds to connect/disconnect manually.

Reactions: ensign

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll send you a picture of my manual setup when I get home. the mid shaft for the mower is affixed to the input shaft of the mower gearbox with a set screw, and attaches directly to the splined output shaft of the PTO with the spring-loaded collar that keeps it on. fool-proof setup, and takes a whopping 15 seconds to connect/disconnect manually.
Awesome, thanks! I might seriously consider that if John Deere won't take care of this for me.

Doing some different searches, I've found some other people that seem to have encountered something very similar, and that it looks like Deere has changed the design of the lift mechanism.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
here you go... I would highly advise converting to the manual connect setup. look at the simplicity versus the conglomeration of junk of the autoconnect. my manual midshaft works flawlessly, comes off the tractor with the mower

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts