Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the advice of the revered Kennyd, and starting the thread on the broken MMM bolt here.

I won't revisit everything - the bolt on the right side (from the top) broke off when the blade caught on the ground, and I have not been able to get the bolt stub out of the spindle on the MMM. I was looking through the drawings on the JD site last night and identified the parts, but it would be nice to have a maintenance and repair manual to tell me how to get the whole thing apart and back together. With most things it is easy to find a free download, but I have not been able to find one for the MMM. Any help would be appreciated.

Erikr, I tried all that on Saturday afternoon for about three hours with no luck and I suspect that I have now damaged the threads in the spindle.

·
Registered
967 Posts
We like photos here. :hide:

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
Which MMM???? :flag_of_truce: :dunno:

If you have already destroyed the threads, a spindle might be the quickest fix.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've got to agree with Zebrafive....

If you think the treads are damaged, the easiest and probably most cost effective way to fix it right is to replace it...

By the time you remove the spindle, find someone to remove the stub and fix the treads, drive there, wait, pay, return home, reinstall... it 's probably going to cost more than the $$$ involved in just swapping it out. Besides, I don't know if I'd want a helicoil tread repair insert on a fast turning, heavy blade holding, item like a mower spindle?????

spind1.JPG

spind2.JPG

Good luck!!! post pics... we like pics.... OH, and double check my part numbers.... I Think they're right.!!!!!

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
I've got to agree with Zebrafive....

If you think the treads are damaged, the easiest and probably most cost effective way to fix it right is to replace it...

By the time you remove the spindle, find someone to remove the stub and fix the treads, drive there, wait, pay, return home, reinstall... it 's probably going to cost more than the $$$ involved in just swapping it out. Besides, I don't know if I'd want a helicoil tread repair insert on a fast turning, heavy blade holding, item like a mower spindle?????

View attachment 497570

View attachment 497578

Good luck!!! post pics... we like pics.... OH, and double check my part numbers.... I Think they're right.!!!!!

Curious how you came up with the spindle part number without knowing what deck the OP is talking about.....

·
Registered
913 Posts
Curious how you came up with the spindle part number without knowing what deck the OP is talking about.....
The OP here refers to a previous post on another forum thread, thereby leaving a clue. A search of the posters's ID reveals the name of the forum and thread, Then a search through recent posts there gives you that original post, and in the post the MMM is revealed.

The spindle bolt was killed in Virginia, by drynoc, using a 54"MMM.:hi:

Hard to keep a secret on the internet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all

Yes, it is a 54" MMM and thanks again to Erikr for the part numbers, although I did find them in the John Deere literature on line. I still have not located a downloadable maintenance and repair manual, so that effort will go on. I was too annoyed working on the issue on Saturday to think to take pictures, but I'll try to get to that this weekend (if I can find time amid the tiling and the Christmas decorations).

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Yes, it is a 54" MMM and thanks again to Erikr for the part numbers, although I did find them in the John Deere literature on line. I still have not located a downloadable maintenance and repair manual, so that effort will go on. I was too annoyed working on the issue on Saturday to think to take pictures, but I'll try to get to that this weekend (if I can find time amid the tiling and the Christmas decorations).
You can’t download Deere Technical Manuals. Here is the manual for the 54 auto-connect for 1025R

https://www.greenfarmparts.com/John-Deere-Technical-Manual-TM1763-p/tm1763.htm

I doubt very much that there will be any info about your issue other than replacing the spindle which is just removing 3 bolts.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Which MMM???? :flag_of_truce: :dunno:

If you have already destroyed the threads, a spindle might be the quickest fix.
What he said.

If the blade hit the ground hard enough to brake it's mounting bolt. That spindle could be slightly bent or have other problems like a damaged bearing. I'd recommend just replacing the whole assembly. Including the blade. Especially since the mounting threads are now damaged. Just be glad that you didn't bend the deck.

Reactions: Levi and coaltrain

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,822 Posts
If he would have been using a left handed drill bit that bolt would have been backed right out.
Yes, I saw that. I have a left-hand bit set and use it first. Sometime they back right out.

I still have not located a downloadable maintenance and repair manual, so that effort will go on.
This type of repair is general. The JD manual will not provide info on how to remove a broken bolt. It will however, provide info on how the remove, disassemble and reinstall the spindle, if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You can usually find both manuals and spindles listed on ebay. My 60D didn't come with a manual and there were several for sale at that time. Most all the manals and other new parts are buy-it-now, so you don't have to go through the auction process. Just be sure you check the shipping charges. Sometimes sellers list at very low prices, and then charge a bundle for shipping. Read the fine print, in other words.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally done

I had a breaker bar, but still couldn't get the spindle top nut off. I was on the way inside to change into my Home Depot clothes when I spied a piece of PVC pipe. Oh, well. Why not? It worked! Replaced the spindle put it all back together and went for a successful test drive. I'm not sure about the belt tension, though. Going to research that next. I bet that MMM thought it was smarter than me but I guess I learned it a thing or two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts