Green Tractor Talk banner

Broken exhaust at 92 hours...this must be the new JD "quality"

7K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  j. white 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 3 other tractors that are 35 - 40 years old with the original exhaust, including 2 JDs. This was how my 1025 rewarded me today:

Never hit anything, obviously.

Going to see if my dad can weld it....pos.

Also...if anyone happened to know the part # I'd appreciate having it, I will probably also buy a spare for when I inevitably need to replace it again.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The Part Number is LVA18715

#3 ·
I have 3 other tractors that are 35 - 40 years old with the original exhaust, including 2 JDs. This was how my 1025 rewarded me today:

Never hit anything, obviously.

Going to see if my dad can weld it....pos.

Also...if anyone happened to know the part # I'd appreciate having it, I will probably also buy a spare for when I inevitably need to replace it again.
The Part Number is LVA18715
Thank you sir...

I hope I'm not coming off too harsh here, but this is ridiculous, you buy a JD for the reputation of quality like I've experienced with other green machines. Has anyone else had this happen?

#5 ·
Thank you sir...

I hope I'm not coming off too harsh here, but this is ridiculous, you buy a JD for the reputation of quality like I've experienced with other green machines. Has anyone else had this happen?
I've not seen that on any other that wasn't modified...

Wonder what the 1 series production is up to now? 50,000... more? less? In general the green line seems as good if not better than any other in their lower levels... Their higher level machines seem to beat industry averages consistently... though I am really disliking their "we have to fix it, you can't touch" lockdown on the big iron...

#4 ·
Is it still under warranty? If so take it back.

#6 ·
Looks like a fracture from being made brittle by the welding and forced cooling it too quickly afterward.

Agree with poster saying if under warranty, take it back.

#34 · (Edited)
If you are going to weld that anyway I would make a new tab from thicker gage to begin with. Also check the original position-orientation to see if maybe it was under stress when locked down. Sorry to see your troubles, don't blame you for being pissed.

Actually the break is because of poor engineering design. Weld has nothing to do with it. It is pretty elementary design to have a form (bend) along the axis of the cantilever load. This part should have been designed as a "U" shape cross section and welded along the two formed legs.

The cheap easy way out broke as it is not able to handle the vibration. I would not expect this lack of proper engineering on something as simple and elementary as this from a company like JD. Sad but the reality of today.

#8 ·
Never seen that happen or heard of it till you said something. If you look at the break can you tell if it was partially broke before it broke all the way?

#9 · (Edited)
Clean break like that looks like a fracture as mentioned earlier. Either an internal flaw with the metal or as mentioned the vendor made the metal brittle during the welding process.

#10 ·
As Levi said , haven't seen that before . I don't think I would get overly cautious to the point I would buy a spare , unless the members here post that it a widespread defect . This forum is very good at letting others know about potential issues with their machines , as you are letting us know about the issue you are having with yours . I've had a few problems with mine and I get your frustration , but for me , overall , this is a great little machine . Hopefully for you this is a one time fix and you will enjoy your machine for years to come . Good Luck !!!!

:usa

#11 ·
"I" think it's being a bit harsh labeling it as a pos. I can understand the frustration about the work stoppage, but any part can break and I don't believe it's indicative of poor quality control. I haven't read about anyone else having an issue.

The part number is right by your thumb in the picture. $65 from GreenFarmParts (not including the 7% GTT discount code). In the world of tractors, that's a cheap part to break.

When I buy from John Deere, it's because I know when my tractor is 35 - 40 years old I can probably still get parts for it.

#12 ·
My 1025r behaved kinda weird at a couple hours,then by 10 hrs, I was sure something was wrong,called the dealer to pick it up,three weeks later after a couple quick tasks and two hours,we are at 12 now,it was spewing hydraulics all over the front end.shut down ,called again,3 weeks later they pick up,four weeks later, they tell me parts came in and it would be back soon,now a week later no word as to status.i dont even know what they replaced.my first John Deere has not been the best experience ,although I do like the tractor itself and happy about what I did do with it,I do feel like the white glove treatment has forgotten about me

#13 ·
If you are going to weld that anyway I would make a new tab from thicker gage to begin with. Also check the original position-orientation to see if maybe it was under stress when locked down. Sorry to see your troubles, don't blame you for being pissed.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Before welding , contact dealer and let them replace under warranty...

Sorry for the bad luck

#16 ·
OK... I've had a chance to chill out now

Thanks guys... FWIW, my "pos" comment was directed at the broken exhaust bracket, not the tractor. :flag_of_truce:

I think this triggered a visceral reaction because I operate / maintain / repair a small fleet of equipment on our property, and next to our new ZTR, the 1025 is the newest thing we own! The LAST thing I should expect on my 2 year old JD tractor, with 92 cake-walk hours (just grass cutting and snowblowing) is for my work day to be halted by the exhaust breaking loose and rubbing on the alternator pulley. I COULD understand if it had 1500 hours on it and got smacked by a few saplings, but this was just downright shoddy material or as others said poor manufacture. It looks like the metal was brittle or even had a defect in it, just a clean break. :dunno:

I'll get it fixed, I'm not even stressed about it, just aggravated that I can work the snot out of my old 316 running a 49" tiller and it never complains. Since I've had the 1025 new I've had both the seat and intake brackets falling off, steering line rubbing though on the tire, the initial fiasco with the pedal sensor not working and then having to disable the RIO, and now this. :nunu:

I'll still love the 1025 when this is taken care of... but JD had better get on top of their QC, since I'm not the only one to have this happen. I'm spoiled by the anvil-like construction and ruggedness of my Dad's 750.

Fortunately I don't know how to give up on something, and my old man will weld that thing up twice as strong as it was new.

:cheers:

#17 · (Edited)
I wonder if the bolt was loose? :unknown: Was the piece still tight under the bolt, that is an unusual break...

#18 ·
I thought the same thing at first, I checked everything and it was all tight, the bracket bolt, the muffler, exhaust clamp, manifold bolts, motor mounts, nothing was loose. :dunno:

Good thought though :thumbup1gif:

#20 ·
I work in the equipment business (not Ag equipment) and I can tell you, they all have issues and many times the issues are with vendor items that are used on their machines. i.e. control valves leaking, computer sensor issues, etc. Many components that are used on equipment, even cars and trucks, are manufacturer or provided by another vendor. Heck, even main frame components are now mfg. by another company. Equipment mfg. are mostly assembly plants nowadays. They farm out the mfg. of all the pieces needed and then they assemble them. This is the world we live in, sad to say!!
That said and not necessarily defending JD, that exhaust pipe is probably supplied by the engine mfg., Yanmar. Normally, equipment mfg. buy their power units as drop in units. The exhaust, alternator and even the radiator is supplied by the power unit mfg.
This doesn't really change the issue, it just redirects the frustration.

#21 ·
I bought the 1025 in March 2015, my paperwork says 24 mo warranty, and then 36 months powertrain including the engine and emissions equipment. I'm going to call the dealer and tell them to replace the pipe under warranty, how can they argue that the pipe does not "control emissions"? :dunno:

I'll win the war of semantics. :lol:

Otherwise I'm getting a hold of the regional supervisor, tell him this is BS, last Deere I'll ever buy....the works.

Reactions: BigJim55 and pcabe5
#23 ·
Talked to the service mgr, real nice guy (I was very cordial) had me send him pics of the exhaust, Vin tag, hour meter, said he's going to submit a claim. Will know by Monday.

#24 ·
You have a good point. Emissions warranty normally does include noise emission meaning an intact exhaust system.

#25 ·
I'm pretty sure exhaust is covered by the emissions warranty.

#27 ·
Meh, stuff happens. I wouldn't get worked up over it, especially since JD will likely stand up behind it. Sure, it's embarrassing and it's a bit of a hassle, but that's life at times my friend. Have a beer and compliment your neighbors pink tractor. :drinks:

#28 ·
Pink... :lol:

I think it was the universe telling me something... we have a 2002 "beater" Cavalier, we were driving it to meet up with my inlaws for dinner that same day, I went around a corner and the muffler fell off. :think:

#30 ·
Man you must be "exhausted" dealing with all this! :laugh:

#31 ·
Well, Deere gave me a new exhaust pipe, it took a month but it's back together and they covered it under warranty. Fingers crossed this one lasts. sorry for the awful picture

Attachments

#33 ·
The exhaust pipe was probably a Yanmar manufactured component....if that makes you feel any better.

#37 ·
We must think alike... I have a brand new Hobart Mig/Flux welder sitting in the shop. :lol::cheers:

Reactions: PJR832
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.