Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frustrated with now two broken Artillian Grapple locking keys. I am working with Peter at Curtis to get replacements, but curious why this is happening. The keys are two part and look to be spot welded. On both broken keys the inserts have fallen out. Wondering if this is going to be an ongoing problem or am I the only one having this issue. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks. Greg

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm totally in the dark about this, so I don't know. Just wondering if this is the same locking key as on the front-hoe bucket? I'm wondering if a linchpin or modified linchpin work for this?

·
Premium Member
12,183 Posts
Can you post any photos of the broken keys?

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post.

·
Registered
139 Posts
On a completely unrelated note, I noticed your "ROPS Warning Flag" in your signature. Brilliant! So simple! I ordered my "Remove Before Flight" streamer from Amazon, and should see it by Thursday.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Troutgeek, thanks. I remember reading about people running into the garage and I was afraid I would as well. I did I thread under the safety section showing how I hang the flag on the garage. I would add the link, but not sure how.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take a pic of mine but you can see the gold colored key in this pic.

IMG_0699.JPG

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a couple pics on the keys and one of the broken ones. In my opinion the tack welds simply broke, but I am not an expert in the area.

IMG_4663.JPG IMG_4662.JPG

·
Premium Member
12,183 Posts

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I might try and strengthen the welds on the remaining ones. I lost the missing pieces, but can just replace them. Thanks for the note. I am guessing I will not be the last person this happens to.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Huh. Originally the Artillian systems all used pins to secure the attachments on the frame. When I bought my plow adapter it came with both the pins and the newer "keys" and I remember someone asking Chris about them at the time.

You are the first I've seen have problems with these as well as the first to mention using them in conjunction with the grapple. Maybe they just aren't strong enough for that application?

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Information on Locking Keys

Thanks for the photos. They indicate that this is an older version of the key. We’ve made improvements since this version and we do have retrofit kits available.

As a reminder to all, when installing the locking keys, make sure the key lobe is pointing down so it locks securely in place.
If you have any questions, please let me know.

Peter Virtue
508-459-4394
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Huh. Originally the Artillian systems all used pins to secure the attachments on the frame. When I bought my plow adapter it came with both the pins and the newer "keys" and I remember someone asking Chris about them at the time.

You are the first I've seen have problems with these as well as the first to mention using them in conjunction with the grapple. Maybe they just aren't strong enough for that application?
This is not a new issue. There is a thread on this issue on here somewhere. Sometimes the spot welds fail and sometimes the cable securing the pin will catch on something and be pulled out. I have had one break on my grapple. It hasn't hurt anything, it's been like that for over a year. Not sure how Curtis will handle this but Chris used to send out new ones if the weld failed.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peter, thanks for the information and with helping on the replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just received the replacement keys from Artillian (Peter Virtue was extremely helpful). Looks like the welds are burned much deeper on these than the original ones which came with the grapple units.
I think I will try and strengthen the welds on the other original ones. With my welding skills I will likely be ordering all new ones :laugh:

View attachment 341761 View attachment 341769

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I just received some keys from Peter as well since I finally broke both keys one of the root rakes.

Peter hooked me just as he said. I want to say thanks!

The new ones do look beefier.

While I was waiting for the pins, I did find a temp fix. I used something very similar to this from TSC. I say similar because I can't remember if it was this same size or not.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-safety-lock-hitch-pin-4-in-usable-pin-length-s071031tsc?cm_vc=IOPDP2

It actually worked fairly well but I will go back to the new keys now that I have them.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The new keys are better, but I actually strengthened the welds on the old keys and the new ones. Did not take long and I think they are much improved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts