Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My seat frame broke again. First time was a couple years ago
IMG_1303.jpg

where it broke at a mounting bolt. Now the metal arm broke which holds the seat.

First time it was under warranty but now i am out of warranty. Very frustrating that this metal is just not very durable.

I put a couple pieces of pool noodle under the chair as an interim solution.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 1025R TLB - H120 - 260 - 60D
98 Posts
1025R? What year? It looks a bit rusty where it broke off.
If the rest of it is still there you could clean it up and weld it back on.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My seat attachment broke once, and then my seat mounting frame also broke a few months later. I am not a heavy person, and my ground is pretty smooth.

After some thought, I think a major factor was me just dropping my weight down onto the seat every time I got on. That used to be around 30 times every day when I used the tractor to pick up manure piles in the pastures daily and toss them into the bucket. So, now I do the manure runs with my UTV instead, and am much gentler in mounting the tractor. The KBOH loader mast handles help a lot with that.

I took the base to two welding shops. Both said that because of the location of the break it could not be welded.

I assume that Deere has manufacturing specs to be met for the seat. But I agree the metal seems to fatigue. Relevant or not, my seat and frame say that India is the country of origin. The USA contribution to the seat is the warning triangle on the back. These breaks for me happened after 800 hours. How much time on yours?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My seat attachment broke once, and then my seat mounting frame also broke a few months later. I am not a heavy person, and my ground is pretty smooth.

After some thought, I think a major factor was me just dropping my weight down onto the seat every time I got on. That used to be around 30 times every day when I used the tractor to pick up manure piles in the pastures daily and toss them into the bucket. So, now I do the manure runs with my UTV instead, and am much gentler in mounting the tractor. The KBOH loader mast handles help a lot with that.

I took the base to two welding shops. Both said that because of the location of the break it could not be welded.

I assume that Deere has manufacturing specs to be met for the seat. But I agree the metal seems to fatigue. Relevant or not, my seat and frame say that India is the country of origin. The USA contribution to the seat is the warning triangle on the back. These breaks for me happened after 800 hours. How much time on yours?
I’m at 612 hours - and i agree that this thin piece of flat metal is the problem - it should be tubular in my opinion to provide more strength this is just a stamping - terrible design.

I am 270lbs bouncing around on this seat

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1025R? What year? It looks a bit rusty where it broke off.
If the rest of it is still there you could clean it up and weld it back on.
I got it in april 2015. It probably broke late last year as the ride did get worse but I didn’t really think about inspecting the seat. I just figured i was getting older and it was me and my back. Its just some surface rust on the raw exposed metal

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
It should be made with steel that has strength. This is the first I’ve read of a 1025 seat breaking there. Was shocked. I saw the thread and assumed it would be the seat rotation shaft ends. For the seat mounting hardware to break there means they cheaped out on the metal by parting it out. I’d rather pay more and buy American. I’m gonna check mine. There is a good thread on here where a guy changes the seat “hinge” hardware and places a square tube and tacks it between two tabs that bend from us sitting basically he strengthens the seat and gets rid of slop. I’m going to check mine for any cracks and metal fatigue and address it when I remove the entire chair and totally straighten it out.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should be made with steel that has strength. This is the first I’ve read of a 1025 seat breaking there. Was shocked. I saw the thread and assumed it would be the seat rotation shaft ends. For the seat mounting hardware to break there means they cheaped out on the metal by parting it out. I’d rather pay more and buy American. I’m gonna check mine. There is a good thread on here where a guy changes the seat “hinge” hardware and places a square tube and tacks it between two tabs that bend from us sitting basically he strengthens the seat and gets rid of slop. I’m going to check mine for any cracks and metal fatigue and address it when I remove the entire chair and totally straighten it out.

Here was the damage from 3 years ago:

Broken seat frame

·
Registered
241 Posts
What they really mean is they don't want your $35 worth of work if it's gonna be a PITA to get the job done. I can't see where that piece is supposed to attach but with patience it can be welded lol. It's just plain steel, it can always be welded lol. Just a matter of getting to the joint with your welding torch/gun/stinger, whichever you choose for the job.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
What they really mean is they don't want your $35 worth of work if it's gonna be a PITA to get the job done. I can't see where that piece is supposed to attach but with patience it can be welded lol. It's just plain steel, it can always be welded lol. Just a matter of getting to the joint with your welding torch/gun/stinger, whichever you choose for the job.
what about closing the crack by putting pieces back together and welding and sistering a piece across the whole piece that broke.kinda like making one thicker piece.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi All
The seat is the worst designed part of the tractor. The first thing to break was the dreaded seat rotation link. Next the hinge mechanism that twisted and cracked. The latest is the base cracked badly. Luckily I can fix them all myself at a small cost.
If this quality of seat had been fitted to a car there would have been a world wide recall to fix the problem as it is a safety issue. John Deere should treat the issue like the air cleaner issue.
regards John

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Buy a Grammer seat and your problems are solved.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Get a but burrito

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Woah there chief. We don’t talk to each other like that here. This isn’t the YouTube comment section. Be nice

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All
The seat is the worst designed part of the tractor. The first thing to break was the dreaded seat rotation link. Next the hinge mechanism that twisted and cracked. The latest is the base cracked badly. Luckily I can fix them all myself at a small cost.
If this quality of seat had been fitted to a car there would have been a world wide recall to fix the problem as it is a safety issue. John Deere should treat the issue like the air cleaner issue.
regards John
You and I are experiencing the exact same three failures!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
It looks like an option...

Reactions: Kbar and kylew

·
Registered
514 Posts
LOL does not excuse a hurtful comment.
In my case it would be the truth, not a hurtful comment! 😉 Hope to lose the winter weight crawling on and off the tractor.

Bob/chex, that Grammer looks nice. Have to price them at my local ag hardware store since he's a Grammer dealer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like around $1000 for a grammer seat plus swivel...

Ouch !

Gonna call Deere next week and see if they’ll replace it for free since this is 2nd issue in 5 years...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts