Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this week the seat on my 1025r had some new side to side play. Yesterday I took a good look at it. Yes you guessed it broken linkage. I thought ,well I will just order a new end. Went into the parts system, seat details. Found out had to buy a new assembly LVA21553, 2 ends and the rod. $103.04. No way. Then it hit me these ends look like tie rod ends. Went to Summitracing.com. Sure enough what size do you want. I chose 1/4" x 28 QA1-CFR4S Rod End $4.97 each. Also bought 4 jam nuts QA1-JNR4S for $.97 each. Add $6.95 ground shipping for a total of $20.77. I ordered at 2 on Thursday and thought I would get it next week. FedEx dropped it off at 1 pm Friday. Opened the box and planned on making a new rod with 1/4 x 28 ends. I screwed the new ends on the factory shaft. I don't know what metric size it is, but 1/4 x 28 fit perfectly. I used 2 jam nuts on the rod to lock the ends when adjusted to the correct length. I will install on the seat this weekend.. I guess some times the Green Tractor Gods do smile on us.:hide:

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Jep
I did the same thing after the link had broken for the third time (first and second times replaced under warrantee) I have had on problems since that was 18 months ago.
Check the length as I had to cut about 1/4" off the shaft to get it to fit:good2:
Regards John

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
They call them new ends heim joints. The original style is a ball joint.

That stock assembly looks just like the shifter rod on most Harley's. They also have the same problem with the ends pulling out like yours did. However some of the rods are one piece without removable ends. Either way you have to buy the whole rod. Accessorie linkage is available with the heim joints but I think that the size is 5/16".

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi H-D dealer dude
The picture below shows the replacement rod ends on the OE shaft, you only have to buy 1/4 UNF rod ends and they screw right onto the OE shaft which has to be shortened slightly, they also screw into the seat rotator without any mods. I installed it 18 months ago and still going strong and this is after breaking 3 OE balls off in 6 months ( as seen in Jep's picture)
The new rod ends are much stronger than the OE ones because they don't neck down because the ball is much larger:good2:
Regards John
PS You don't need lock nuts on the threads of the rod as they are both right handed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Where did you get them?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi John Deere 1025R TLB
I purchased mine from a bearing supply shop, I took the old ones in and explained what I wanted and this is what they came up with .:good2:
Regards John

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great thread gentlemen

I've broken my seat twice but truth be told I've lived with it broken for almost a year each time so had I got warranty to cover it not often it just would have broken more often.

Could I please ask one of you kind gentlemen to post a pic of this mod installed on a seat. Also could come one please post good part numbers from amazon or eBay.

Thanks guys

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ordered the above parts off summit and they worked great. I tried to source some Heim jounts locally and they were solid brass and broke the first time I tried to swivel the seat. The units from summit had a much beafier design. It took me a while to get the rod adjusted perfectly, my stock one was so mangled I couldn't use it as a template.

Thanks again for the great info.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts