Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
errr, ahh Implement..... TOOL! Found this on CL this morning for $575. It is the 50" deck sold as 48" on TSC. Been looking for one for some time now. Guy bought it last year used it one time. Didn't work well with his 900 series. The blades are still sharp. Can't wait to hook it up and get it set up for the tractor. Currently no grass/weed to mow so it can wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Nice score!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
:bigthumb: that is a terrific price for that. i have a jd 4fter. the only problem i have with mine is width. 48 inches doesn't cover my tire tracks at all. i have just had to make extra rounds over the yrs:dunno:.. which i guess is not a bad thing-right. but ahh-i would love to have that extra foot to play with each round:lol:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Seen those at TSC last weekend, I would say you got a good deal

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:bigthumb: that is a terrific price for that. i have a jd 4fter. the only problem i have with mine is width. 48 inches doesn't cover my tire tracks at all. i have just had to make extra rounds over the yrs:dunno:.. which i guess is not a bad thing-right. but ahh-i would love to have that extra foot to play with each round:lol:
Yeah, I knew it was shorter than my wheel base. But with the hills, trees and rocks I have to mow around I knew it would be my best bet. I would be able to maneuver between the trees and be able to lift the cutter and not have to worry about weights on the front. The actual cut is around 50 inches, so it will not be too bad. I hope to only have to use it twice a year. If not that is fine also.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only question I have would be, do I need a slip clutch for the cutter? Or is more of an item to prevent stalling. Not so much damaging the PTO drive.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you've got it on the wrong end of the tractor. (J/K) :laugh:

Here's my story: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/82321-rc2048-gearbox-replacement.html

I did not have a slip clutch and that kind of failure happened without breaking the shear bolt, or the tractor for that matter. If you are not using a clutch, make sure the shear bolt is correct, if you are using one, make sure it's is adjusted and not rusted together if kept outside. I have one to put on after the rebuild, I just need to get around to it.

I will say that I am probably the worst case user of a brush cutter. Maintaining deer lease property finds huge rocks, hidden stumps and all kinds of other things that are not nice to them.

·
Premium Member
14,885 Posts
The only question I have would be, do I need a slip clutch for the cutter? Or is more of an item to prevent stalling. Not so much damaging the PTO drive.
I think I would want a slip clutch plus make sure you have the correct shear bolt.. Don't replace the shear bolt with a Grade 8 bolt.

I would rather take a smaller pass once in a while than replacing the rear PTO of tractor or replace the tractor.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Shear bolts have worked well for a very long time and with the correct one installed require no maintenance. Slip clutches need to be cleaned and adjusted yearly. Strange accidents like Bubber had can happen with either one, it just comes down to how much you use the mower and personal preference.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nice score!
+1 on the slip clutch.

I miss running the brush hog. Used to go out 2 or 3 times a year and mow my parent's back 28 acres. It was always thistle, tall grass, jagger bushes and my favorite- 2" saplings! There is just something satisfying about having to stand up on the tractor to see where you are going and then looking behind you at the cleared swath.

One of my earliest memories of my dad teaching me something on the tractor was the hog. I made 3 or 4 passes around the property and missed several small saplings. After a few misses he asked why I was avoiding them. That's when he gave me this general rule of thumb - If the tractor is big enough to push it over the brush hog is capable of chewing it up. The rest of that teaching session was random paths through the field to every sapling I could find.

:lovetongue:

A brush hog is very satisfying therapy.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Nice find and a great price. Good luck :bigthumb::bigthumb:

Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You got a good deal on a very clean looking cutter!

The cutter I have now has a slip clutch and I do have concerns about it. I have always had cutters with shear bolts except for the previous landpride cutter and now the frontier. I didn't run the landpride long enough to see if I would like a slip clutch or not. To me it seems like less trouble/hassle to replace a bolt when needed than having a clutch that needs burned in along with preventive maintenance of the clutch over time. Multiple people have told me the slip clutch is the way to go but time will tell. I have only sheared one bolt ever on a cutter, in my mind that's less hassle than having to care for a clutch to insure it performs when it's needed to.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Shear bolts have worked well for a very long time and with the correct one installed require no maintenance. Slip clutches need to be cleaned and adjusted yearly. Strange accidents like Bubber had can happen with either one, it just comes down to how much you use the mower and personal preference.
Guess I should have read all of page one again rather than just hitting page 2 and replying. What 56 has already said is my concerns with the slip clutch, I don't like caring for the clutch. I want to hit the grease fittings with the gun and take off to cut.

·
Registered
23,038 Posts
Yeah, I knew it was shorter than my wheel base. But with the hills, trees and rocks I have to mow around I knew it would be my best bet. I would be able to maneuver between the trees and be able to lift the cutter and not have to worry about weights on the front. The actual cut is around 50 inches, so it will not be too bad. I hope to only have to use it twice a year. If not that is fine also.
I have a 48" Bush Hog that I run behind my 2520. All of my cutting now is in the woods so the smaller width and weight is perfect for what I do. If I were mowing fields I would have sold it and bought a 60" a long time ago.

I still use front weights however being I am maneuvering between trees on a hill most of the time. Just feels more "planted" for me. I have to take the loader off as it makes the unit too long to negotiate.

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Great find on the cutter!

I use/prefer the shear bolt over the slip clutch option as well.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Nice score!
+1 on the slip clutch.

I miss running the brush hog. Used to go out 2 or 3 times a year and mow my parent's back 28 acres. It was always thistle, tall grass, jagger bushes and my favorite- 2" saplings! There is just something satisfying about having to stand up on the tractor to see where you are going and then looking behind you at the cleared swath.

One of my earliest memories of my dad teaching me something on the tractor was the hog. I made 3 or 4 passes around the property and missed several small saplings. After a few misses he asked why I was avoiding them. That's when he gave me this general rule of thumb - If the tractor is big enough to push it over the brush hog is capable of chewing it up. The rest of that teaching session was random paths through the field to every sapling I could find.

:lovetongue:

A brush hog is very satisfying therapy.
Nothing more satisfying than the sound of a big clump of brush being chewed to pieces!!!

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
i have had a shear bolt in my jd 4 footer since 2007. so this summer 10yrs. still their. a couple of times, i stalled the tractor. i thought-Levi--with his 2210 troubles. was afraid to walk around to the back of tractor. everything was still hooked up--so i tried turning the pto shaft by hand--it turned fine. so i started it back up-pulled ahead,, and went back to see what i had hit. it was a lousy rock hidden in the ground, but high enough to stop me.

so my shear bolt has worked A-OK for me. don't sweat it. but.......i would insist u slap at least 3 42 lb weights on the front end. it help's a LOT. just saying-ok.

Reactions: ky_shawn

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
In open areas I will leave the loader on with the cutter. If I have tight areas I drop the loader and add 4 weights. That cutter hangs way back, with the iMatch it is even further.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts