Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this site for information on Brush Grubbers. My questions aren't specifically geared towards Brush Grubbers themselves, but more towards my tractors capacity for using this or a similar product(s). I have a X738 and I am wondering about it's realistic pulling and tugging capacity. In particular, I will be clearing out some of my acreage this spring and I have a lot of Buckthorn (typically not a deep rooted tree). Most of it is relatively small (<3" diameter). I cannot get a full size vehicle into this area. A tractor or a skid steer are my only options.

I plan on hooking up a Brush Grubber or choker to my Heavy Hitch (low to the ground) with a shackle and pulling. I'll also use front weights to try to keep the front tires on the ground.

Should my tractor be able to handle stumps up to 3" in diameter? If yes, should I use it or find another option?

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Traction doubtful but what do I know?

I'll be really surprised if you can pull the larger stuff with the X738 but it might fool me. I would be a big fan of using a skid steer. Depending on how much acreage you are clearing a skid steer with a forestry mulching head would be ideal but a skid steer with a grapple will work too. Renting the forestry heads get pretty expensive because you need a heavy, high flow skid steer plus the rental on the forestry head is high as they require a lot of maintenance. There may be someone in the area offering that service for a flat $/acre.

One thing I would recommend not doing is using the brush grabber and getting any sort of running start. Odds are pretty good that the result won't be pretty as you might find yourself dodging a brush grabber headed right for you.

I've been tempted to get a brush grabber for use with a tractor but the grapple has taken some of the temptation away. The Piranaha bar has also worked well on the loader bucket but another tool would be nice for the occasional use.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
I agree. It also depends on how big the roots are and the soil type. Traction will be your biggest challenge. I've had issues pulling similar stumps with my 2720 and it weighs almost 4000 lbs (tractor, loader, operator, loaded tires, ballast box). I use a brush grubber chain attached to my draw bar.

Brush_grubber.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,856 Posts
I agree. It also depends on how big the roots are and the soil type. Traction will be your biggest challenge. I've had issues pulling similar stumps with my 2720 and it weighs almost 4000 lbs (tractor, loader, operator, loaded tires, ballast box). I use a brush grubber chain attached to my draw bar.

View attachment 563705
How much of that is the operator :hornets:

Just kidiing

:lol:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Which Brush Grubber are you looking at? I bought the one that was meant for buckthorn on the label. The Brush Grubber HD. Good for compact tractors. Hooked that to my 870 (compact tractor) and started pulling buckthorn at our new property.

Just guessing, but my 870 with loader probably weighs about 29-3000 pounds. I used this device as directed. No jerking, but let up the slack, and did a solid pull. Bent the snot out of thing. It hooked on, and it seems my little tractor was to much for it, wanted to twist off. Bent it back in the press, and left it for the little stuff.

If you are looking to go with a skid steer, you want to get the big one. I picked up the Xtreme Plus to use on the remainder. Figured my little B will demolish the HD, so the bigger one should hold together better.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
How much of that is the operator :hornets:

Just kidiing

:lol:
225... I'm working on an all-twinkie diet to try to get more ballast. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,856 Posts
225... I'm working on an all-twinkie diet to try to get more ballast. :laugh:
That’s the winning attitude, ballast is important

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can do it with the x738, you may have to loosen the ground around the stumps a bit with a mattock tho. I pulled several out with my old x540. Just keep a low center of gravity and keep the chain tight around the stumps.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,280 Posts
I just use a chain wrapped around what ever it is I'm trying to pull out 3 times and hooked on itself. If you have chain, you could give it a go before you spend money on a grubber. No doubt one would probably be easier, or faster to use, but a plain ole chain works too.
This is the way I do it. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Being infested honeysuckle in Ohio, it's been my quest to get it under control on the property while still leaving enough that we don't lose privacy from the road or the neighbors. I hope you have better luck than I've had in the last 7 years.

I don't think you'll have much luck with the lawn tractor. Traction will be an issue. Also, finding a point on the tractor that's structurally sound enough to attach the chain to might be a challenge. I'm not familiar with your tractor, but I pulled up some web pictures of it and it looks like it's primarily sheet metal. I have a Gravely walk behind that is all cast iron and I was limited to pulling stuff that was a couple of inches in diameter. I then started using my Jeep with the Brush Grubber and then bought my 3520! :laugh:

A couple of hints with the Brush Grubber - First, thing are going to pull out easier when the ground is softer. Don't wait to do it in July during a drought when the ground is rock hard. Of course, then the issue becomes finding enough traction if the ground is too soft. Next, try and find an old wheel rim. Set it in a "rolling position" next to the tree and then put the chain over top of it. That will give you an "up and out" motion on the tree and make it a bit easier to pull out. Plenty of YouTube videos showing this.

Someone mentioned a skid steer with a forestry head on it. I had an arborist out to my property last week to look at taking out some trees that are too close to the road and the neighbor's house for me to feel comfortable pulling out. I picked his brain on many things, including removing the honeysuckle. He also suggested the forestry mulcher. These things will chew up just about anything and shred it right down to the surface - so no little stumps to puncture tires. They have a company that does this for about $2500 per day and he says a good operator can do about an acre a day. I'm on 5 acres and would probably clear about 3 of those acres. I looked into renting one and they're not easy to find to rent. I did find the "CAT Rental" place that has them. Cost wise - about $1500 per day or about $3500 for a week. I'd do the week thing. Still debating with Sweetie about how aggressive I want to get with this. And whether or not I want to spend $3500 to do this. If I rent the mulcher, I'll post up a thread on the project.

Good luck with your buckthorn!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Being infested honeysuckle in Ohio, it's been my quest to get it under control on the property while still leaving enough that we don't lose privacy from the road or the neighbors. I hope you have better luck than I've had in the last 7 years.

I don't think you'll have much luck with the lawn tractor. Traction will be an issue. Also, finding a point on the tractor that's structurally sound enough to attach the chain to might be a challenge. I'm not familiar with your tractor, but I pulled up some web pictures of it and it looks like it's primarily sheet metal. I have a Gravely walk behind that is all cast iron and I was limited to pulling stuff that was a couple of inches in diameter. I then started using my Jeep with the Brush Grubber and then bought my 3520! :laugh:

A couple of hints with the Brush Grubber - First, thing are going to pull out easier when the ground is softer. Don't wait to do it in July during a drought when the ground is rock hard. Of course, then the issue becomes finding enough traction if the ground is too soft. Next, try and find an old wheel rim. Set it in a "rolling position" next to the tree and then put the chain over top of it. That will give you an "up and out" motion on the tree and make it a bit easier to pull out. Plenty of YouTube videos showing this.

Someone mentioned a skid steer with a forestry head on it. I had an arborist out to my property last week to look at taking out some trees that are too close to the road and the neighbor's house for me to feel comfortable pulling out. I picked his brain on many things, including removing the honeysuckle. He also suggested the forestry mulcher. These things will chew up just about anything and shred it right down to the surface - so no little stumps to puncture tires. They have a company that does this for about $2500 per day and he says a good operator can do about an acre a day. I'm on 5 acres and would probably clear about 3 of those acres. I looked into renting one and they're not easy to find to rent. I did find the "CAT Rental" place that has them. Cost wise - about $1500 per day or about $3500 for a week. I'd do the week thing. Still debating with Sweetie about how aggressive I want to get with this. And whether or not I want to spend $3500 to do this. If I rent the mulcher, I'll post up a thread on the project.

There is no sheet metal on an x738 frame. This machine will pull out stumps all day long. Geez.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
There is no sheet metal on an x738 frame. This machine will pull out stumps all day long. Geez.
THANK YOU for clarifying that! :bigthumb:

As I mentioned above, I'm not familiar with the tractor. As I was nursing my first cup of coffee, I pulled up some Google pics of it and, at first glance, it looked like a regular lawn tractor - similar to what you'd pick up at a box store. After three cups of coffee and a closer look, I can see that it does have an actual frame.

I'm looking forward to the videos of watching that machine pull out stumps all day long!!! :good2: :yahoo:

·
Registered
42 Posts
THANK YOU for clarifying that! :bigthumb:

As I mentioned above, I'm not familiar with the tractor. As I was nursing my first cup of coffee, I pulled up some Google pics of it and, at first glance, it looked like a regular lawn tractor - similar to what you'd pick up at a box store. After three cups of coffee and a closer look, I can see that it does have an actual frame.

I'm looking forward to the videos of watching that machine pull out stumps all day long!!! :good2: :yahoo:
No need to be a jack ass. By the way he's only wanting to pull out 3 inch stumps. His machine will handle that with ease.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Well I will leave the jack a$$ comment alone.

I have a brush grubber and used it with my 2210 and my truck when I first had my property cleared. I was trying to get up the stuff the big machinery couldn't touch. I had varying degrees of success but the thing I learned is it a tedious process. If you like getting on/off the tractor then go for it! I was not a fan and quickly abandoned the concept. I have not needed it since I picked up a grapple, land scape rake, rock bucket, and a bigger tractor.

Personally, I would use your task as a justification to buy a root grapple. If that is too much money then maybe a rock bucket from Red Line Systems may be a better choice. The bucket has tines to allow you to rake. Those buckets are 1K so maybe that's too much investment for a bunch of underbrush. You could look at a piranha bar or regular tooth bar as that will clear under brush as well. I would also consider getting a tiller.

Basically I would consider anything but a brush grubber because, well I am lazy and hate getting on/off a tractor. :laugh:

I want to get on the tractor and then wreck havoc on the under brush and do it in large sections at one time, not one bush at a time. Just remember the more you spend on an attachment generally the more capability you get.

If all you have is your X7 tractor then maybe consider a small land scape rake if you have a three point on it. I used my rake on a 2210 with good success and that SCUT isn't that much bigger than a X7 anyways. Good Luck:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
10,153 Posts
I have a brush grubber.

Like the previous post, using it for an extended period gets tedious.

I am using mine to pull old beaver stumps, many in the 1 - 3" range.

I usually have my wife on the tractor and I work the grubber.

I mainly use it for the hard to reach stuff.

I have found the best success when the ground is softer.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Any other uses?

I'm curious to know if a brush grabber would work to do things like pull fence posts out of the ground, particularly broken posts.

I know it would take quite a bit of loader or 3ph lift but just wondered if the grabber would stand up to that type of punishment.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
10,153 Posts
If the pull is smooth, no jerk, it does.

I have used mine on the bucket with KBOGH's.

Dump the bucket to about 45 degrees and put the edge against the bottom of the post. Attach the grubber to the post (or stump) just above the bucket edge. Roll back the bucket while pushing forward just a bit. Sometimes rock back and forth as you lift/roll.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can do it with the x738, you may have to loosen the ground around the stumps a bit with a mattock tho. I pulled several out with my old x540. Just keep a low center of gravity and keep the chain tight around the stumps.
I like your "can do" attitude. Regardless, if I can do it, I like it!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I have an arborist coming this morning to give me a bid. He uses one of those mulching heads. I think that is what several of you mention. I'll reply with what he thinks his cost and productivity per day will be.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts