Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a "Brush Grubber" for pulling out brush, small trees etc.. They make several types, but I have been thinking about the chain model that wraps around clumps of bushes.Here in Michigan we have a lot of Autumn Olive bushes that are very invasive. They need to be ripped out, or they will simply keep growing back and spreading. Going to use my 1025r with FEL and bucket hooks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Has anyone used a "Brush Grubber" for pulling out brush, small trees etc.. They make several types, but I have been thinking about the chain model that wraps around clumps of bushes.Here in Michigan we have a lot of Autumn Olive bushes that are very invasive. They need to be ripped out, or they will simply keep growing back and spreading. Going to use my 1025r with FEL and bucket hooks.
I have a smaller manual one that I have used.
It eliminates the shrub about 80% of the time.
Some shrubs will re-sprout from broken off root sections.
The best way I have found to eliminate shrubs is herbicide.

I cleared about 3 acres of bushy over grow farm field.
depending upon size of shrub/tree you can either apply herbicide to the bottom 12" or so of the trunk and it'll kill them in a couple of weeks (basal bark application) or you can cut the shrub and immediately apply herbicide to the cambium layer (small thin layer under the inner bark) all around and this will kill the roots (cut stump application). These both can be done even in winter. Best to not do these in early spring when plants are actively growing new tops.

Best herbicide I found is Garlon 4 mixed with diesel. If you apply it correctly you will need very little for lots of plants. Oh and use a dye in the mix so you can see where you have already done it.

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
Yep! I have one of the chain models with the teeth. It works GREAT! I've even wrapped it around some large rocks to pull them out. I have a trailer ball on my draw bar and just drop the hoop over it. If I need more distance between the tractor and the bush I attach a tow chain in between. I did have one particularly stubborn bush and it pulled hard enough to make my ring a little oblong. :)

Brush_grubber.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jgayman which one of the chain models did you get? They make three "grades". I see you have a 2720 (I used to have one. Great tractor!) Don't think my 1025r will tug quite as much.

·
Registered
84 Posts
+2 on the green brush grubber chain.

I've used it on an old Ferguson TO-20 (20hp tractor) and my 3038e to pull out oleanders (about 12" at the base). Worked GREAT!

Some tips:

Wet close to the root ball, and then pull out about a week later
Don't get the ground wet too far away-- it will mire your tractor
Connect a chain to the drawbar-- NEVER any high point on the tractor-- it could cause the tractor's front end to "come up"
Don't "jerk" the chain to the point you break the drawbar mount-- cracking an aluminum trans case is EXPENSIVE

-Matt

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
jgayman which one of the chain models did you get? They make three "grades". I see you have a 2720 (I used to have one. Great tractor!) Don't think my 1025r will tug quite as much.
That's a very good question. :) I got it about 5 years ago and don't remember. I have it in my tool box and will measure it later this morning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They make the standard duty, heavy duty, and extreme duty. I may go heavier than I need so my buddy cam borrow it. He has a larger tractor.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I have a BrushGrubber BG-08. It works great, but.... whether it's the BG-08 or the chain type, keep in mind that the most effective way to use it is to consider it a 2 person job. One on the tractor and one to keep hooking and unhooking the device from the brush. Otherwise it's this.... back the tractor up to the general area of the shrub, get off the tractor and walk to the rear, grab the chain and the brush grubber and get down to attach it to the shrub, get back up and walk to the operators station and then remount the tractor, drive forward and pull the shrub out and drag it to wherever you're leaving the junk, get back off the tractor and unhook the brush, stow the chain and brush grubber somewhere on the tractor, get back on the tractor and repeat.....
:flag_of_truce:

There's probably "less of you" than there is of me to get on and off the tractor (and maybe your tractor is smaller than mine, so it's closer to the ground), but after about a dozen of the cycles described above, my fat old @$$ is pretty much plumb tuckered out! :laugh:

If you're considering something like the BrushGrubber BG-03 at all, take a look at the Extractigator instead. I also have one of these and it's super handy and super fast to pull out the smaller stuff. It will still work you though!

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
That's a very good question. :) I got it about 5 years ago and don't remember. I have it in my tool box and will measure it later this morning.
Mine appears to be the HD version (model BG-19) as it is 6-feet from ring to ring and the chain links are ~ 1/4" dia, which seems to match the spec of 7/25".

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Great timing guys!
I was just looking at these things last night trying to decide.

Looks like the chain one is best.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Going with the heavy duty chain model. The wife on the tractor, me hooking things up. The last time we did it together she was tearing out Ewes bushes. She was enjoying it so much she went a little fast and tore a big one out along with our sprinkler system that the roots had wrapped around.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Alternative

Nothing against the Brush Grabber as it looks like a good product but I will put in a plug for the Piranha bar on the FEL. Depending on how you use it you can either cut the plants off at or slightly below ground level or pull them out, all from the tractor seat. I've used the Piranha on gum trees that I would never have simply pulled out but by pushing them over with the fel and then angling the bucket down, I could tear the whole tree out, roots and all.

I think there may be better tooth bars for digging but the Piranha is great for brush removal.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
Nothing against the Brush Grabber as it looks like a good product but I will put in a plug for the Piranha bar on the FEL. Depending on how you use it you can either cut the plants off at or slightly below ground level or pull them out, all from the tractor seat. I've used the Piranha on gum trees that I would never have simply pulled out but by pushing them over with the fel and then angling the bucket down, I could tear the whole tree out, roots and all.

I think there may be better tooth bars for digging but the Piranha is great for brush removal.

Treefarmer
I'm sure the Piranha works fine but the problem with using something on the bucket edge is you need 49-53" of clear space to be able to get the bucket near whatever it is you intend to pull out. With the toothed chain you need only a couple of inches... just enough to attach the chain. The tractor can be 10-12 feet away at the other end of the tow chain. So you can literally surgically remove a single shrub from the middle of a flower bed.

Each tool has its place. I wouldn't want to clear brush from a whole area in my yard one at a time with a Brush Grubber and I wouldn't want to try to extract a single bush out of my garden with a Piranha tooth bar on the bucket. :)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have the HD chain type. I think I should have found another type grubber such as the "squeezer/pantograph type with spiked jaws. I mostly have to pull sumac plants (junior trees) out of low growing hemlock bushes. The chain does a good job of stripping branches and leaves off the trunks and leaving the big stalks. (Yes, I have the chain hooked correctly through the loop ring.) Any suggestions to make this bit of hardware more than ballast box weight would be appreciated!:laugh:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have found using a chain with links like a heavy dog choker chain with multiple wraps on brush works well. Sometime I use a loop of old electric winch cable. Clamp the cable into a kind of figure 8, or snowman body shape. Big belly loop to choke brush, small loop with a small shackle to hook a chain to. You may have to take smaller bites at times, depending on density of the trunks.

Mother-in-law uses a pallet puller type clamp with aggressive teeth to good success. She has more tree trunk type brush than the multi stem bush here. She also has a cat 2, bigger chore tractor to use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts