Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some brush hogging this weekend and when I got done I noticed foamy water had been spitting out the top plug on the gear box. I figure I need to fix that before using it again. I can't find a drain plug on the bottom of the box to drain it out. How do you do it and what kind of oil do I use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
I did some brush hogging this weekend and when I got done I noticed foamy water had been spitting out the top plug on the gear box. I figure I need to fix that before using it again. I can't find a drain plug on the bottom of the box to drain it out. How do you do it and what kind of oil do I use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Is there not one on the side or anywhere? Suck it out or find a way to tip it over. Usually 80w-90 gear oil I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Mine has a small plug on the back. Normally, you open that side plug and fill from the top til lube runs out the side plug and you are good.

Since my side plug is on the back i would just lift the front of the unit until she was vertical and let everything drain out the side plug on the back. You will have to undo the trailing wheel and flip up.

I would then buy a new vent plug since that is about the only p,ace water can get in. It should be a one way vent to let pressure out. I assume that is where your water is coming out now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I just pull the sight plug and lift it to vertical with my FEL to drain the water?

·
Registered
22,748 Posts
Can I just pull the sight plug and lift it to vertical with my FEL to drain the water?
You need to find a way to get the water and the oil out - the oil is now contaminated. It needs emptied and fresh oil put it. Running it as is now you will burn up your gearbox.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to find a way to get the water and the oil out - the oil is now contaminated. It needs emptied and fresh oil put it. Running it as is now you will burn up your gearbox.
Should I pull it apart and spray it good with WD40, then put it back together and fill it with oil? WD40's original purpose was to displace water on machined parts. that's what the WD stands for.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Should I pull it apart and spray it good with WD40, then put it back together and fill it with oil? WD40's original purpose was to displace water on machined parts. that's what the WD stands for.
Just clean it out the best you can. However you do it. Put clean oil in and run it for awhile. It wouldn't hurt to change again down the road again. After a few uses.

·
Registered
374 Posts
WD40 is a different product, now. I wouldn't do that. Get the water and oil out, leave the plug out for a while for moisture to evaporate, then properly fill it.
The drain plug may be on the bottom, accessed from the underside of the mower.

·
Registered
702 Posts
WD40 is a different product, now. I wouldn't do that. Get the water and oil out, leave the plug out for a while for moisture to evaporate, then properly fill it.
The drain plug may be on the bottom, accessed from the underside of the mower.
If it's anything like mine it will have a very big and heavy stumpjumper underneath it which will not allow access to a plug. Personally I would go to Autozone or someplace and pick up one of those little siphon pumps that can be driven with a drill. Maneuver the suction hose through the vent hole in top and down to the lowest point of the gearbox. Suck out all the oil you can, refill it, use the bush hog then do it again. Maybe twice.

My OLD (ancient) bush hog would not hold a seal on the output shaft and constantly leaked. I removed the breather vent and installed a pipe thread plug with a grease fitting installed in it. I then pumped the gearbox full of EP2 grease. Never had another worry about all the grease leaking out, and I just pumped about half a tube in it every couple times I used it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yea you don't want to take stump jumper off. I've had some I had to heat up with torch to get off and beat the snot out of to get off. Don't do it. Trust me. I've done plenty and some are easy and some not.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Stump jumper stumps owner

Yea you don't want to take stump jumper off. I've had some I had to heat up with torch to get off and beat the snot out of to get off. Don't do it. Trust me. I've done plenty and some are easy and some not.

I did that last year and it was a fight the whole way. Finally got everything off, replaced a seal and put it all back but nothing was easy. Of course, part of it was the castle nut called for some ridiculous torque value. 3/4 drive socket with breaker bar and 6' cheater didn't do it, neither did a impact wrench that was supposed to have 1,000 ft lbs in reverse. It took heat plus the cheater and plenty of heft on the end of that.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
524 Posts
I did that last year and it was a fight the whole way. Finally got everything off, replaced a seal and put it all back but nothing was easy. Of course, part of it was the castle nut called for some ridiculous torque value. 3/4 drive socket with breaker bar and 6' cheater didn't do it, neither did a impact wrench that was supposed to have 1,000 ft lbs in reverse. It took heat plus the cheater and plenty of heft on the end of that.

Treefarmer
Yep. Been there and have done that. And customer still complains how long it took.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts