Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting a brush hog for my 1025R. I'm looking at a 48 inch mower. I don't really have a serious need for one but it would make some upcoming projects easier. I looked at Frontier ($1650) and Land Pride (same) but don't like the price although the Frontier is winning due to the build quality.
Any one heard or have experience with Titan LLC out of Tennessee ? The Titan is $1058 and is the same deck thickness as Frontier and a 5 year warranty on the gearbox.
Also is it necessary to get a slip clutch or will shear pins due. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
im in the same boat, ill be following this. i started looking yesterday at the tractor supply brand and also the Woods RC4 and their BB48.30. the BB is more then ill ever need but it i figure that means it will last forever for me.

·
Premium Member
9,760 Posts
Also is it necessary to get a slip clutch or will shear pins due.
A shear pin / bolt would be fine, especially if you are mowing a known area that isn't littered with debris, stumps and such. Just make sure to use the proper grade bolt.

For occasional use, a slip clutch would need to be checked before each use to make sure it hasn't seized. A seized or improperly adjusted slip clutch doesn't offer any protection.

I do not have any experience with Titan Implement however they did have a good bit of stuff at the National Farm Show and it looked like good solid equipment.

Do they have a dealer near your area?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have the King Kutter 4' Flex Hitch Rotary Kutter L-48-40-P-FH and am satisfied with the quality. I just used it the other day when the 445 was choking on the tall grass on the area of pasture I had not been able to mow due to standing water. Grass was as high as the hood on the 445 and when I had to get the 1026R out to pull the 445 out of the mud, I just finished cutting that area with the King Cutter.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do they have a dealer near your area?
No , the closest one is about 2 hours away but I found one about 45 minutes away on Craigslist. He's a small time equipment dealer and said he's been selling them for about 7 years. He's making me a cash deal on his last 4 foot model. The 5 foot isn't much more but it's to big for my area.

·
Premium Member
9,760 Posts
I'd say it is worth the drive to check them out.

Supporting an American company and a small dealer is a double win.

·
Registered
137 Posts
48 is the right size - kind of depends on what you are looking to cut down - some say 60" can work. I like a slip clutch on a brushhog because you can frequently be in 'unknown territory' and having to do shear pins frequently or at all is an inconvenience.

Have you considered posting an "Is Seeking" ad on Facebook/Craigslist?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you considered posting an "Is Seeking" ad on Facebook/Craigslist?
No......I don't do Facebook and Craigslist is where I found this guy. Problem for me is where I live is it's suburban and not a lot of need for brush hogging, but I think I could make some money with it about 20 minutes from me. I do pretty good with my tiller.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was looking at it also but the Kubota dealer that had the Land Pride told me I might have a problem getting parts down the road. Made sense to me.
Thats because he wants to sell you a land pride. The round back county lines are made by Tarter and they make the subcompact version for tsc too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think so cause he didn't have one in stock and didn't know when he was going to get one. I'm really leaning towards the Titan because it's got the best warranty.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I did it, I bought the Titan. Looks like it will do everything I ask and then some plus couldn't beat the price. And to top it off the guy was a small independent Titan dealer that was only 45 minutes away. I know it's the wrong color but...........Who cares ;)
IMG_4196.JPG
IMG_4197.JPG

·
Administrator
18,309 Posts
The Titan Implements (not to be confused with the other Titan company) stuff seems like its great quality, I've looked at their stuff at the big Kentucky farm show. That should serve you well (y)

·
Premium Member
9,760 Posts
Sweeeet!

FWIW, I wouldn't use the chain for the PTO shield to hold it up. The plastic isn't that strong. Get yourself a bungie cord.

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweeeet!

FWIW, I wouldn't use the chain for the PTO shield to hold it up. The plastic isn't that strong. Get yourself a bungie cord.
I didn't.......That's a piece of bailing wire from the dealer for transport. I have to cut it off. The picture is right after I brought it home. Now I have to make some guards for it. Gonna try rubber right now as I have some 3/8 belting laying around. I might make a chain guard at a later date.

·
Premium Member
9,760 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,163 Posts
Also, I would DEFINITELY put some safety chains on the front and rear to knock down the debris which flies out and it will fly out. Since you are using the brush hog for others as they hire you and in areas unknown to you, the safety factor is even more important.

The rubber flaps some use tend to clump up the grass and also restrict the large volume of grass from being discharged easily when you are cutting very tall stuff. Keep in mind that when you are cutting grass which is several feet tall, that is a LOT of volume of material for the mower to cut up. Keep a close eye on the RPM's as even the 4' mower can put quite a load on the 1 series when cutting very tall and very heavy material. I have cut stuff taller than the cab on a regular basis.

The slip clutch is very important since you are going to be in many different areas where you haven't cut before. Keeping one's own field cut down is one thing, but being hired to cut the fields of others is entirely a different thing.

You are going to need front ballast for the mower on that machine due to the weight of the mower and how far it hangs off the rear of the machine. Using the FEL and bucket with the bucket edge rolled back as far as possible and running the bottom of the bucket low, can help to locate things you can't see before you get to them with your tractor. Better to find the log buried in the grass with the bottom of the bucket so you can stop than to run over it and possibly damage the underside of the tractor or drive line on the tractor.

In one field, I found a roll of over 600 feet of power line coiled up and buried deep in the grass.......Fortunately, I saw it before I got there with the mower. Also, if you are mowing in areas which are "suburban" but have municipal utilities, watch out for fire hydrants which get over grown and are very hard to spot. Many don't have the vertical "flags" or markers on them. When you are within that corridor of the road where fire hydrants can be found, its best to see of there are hydrants on the immediate area and locate them. Cut away the brush and grass so you can see them. One of those would really ruin your day if you ran into it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Slip clutch on a brush mower is a "maybe"..Most come with a 1/2" or less shear bolt.

What you need...An over run clutch.....Simple easy dealio that saves your PTO Brake.

Get one..thank me never or whenever.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Also, I would DEFINITELY put some safety chains on the front and rear to knock down the debris which flies out and it will fly out. Since you are using the brush hog for others as they hire you and in areas unknown to you, the safety factor is even more important.

The rubber flaps some use tend to clump up the grass and also restrict the large volume of grass from being discharged easily when you are cutting very tall stuff. Keep in mind that when you are cutting grass which is several feet tall, that is a LOT of volume of material for the mower to cut up. Keep a close eye on the RPM's as even the 4' mower can put quite a load on the 1 series when cutting very tall and very heavy material. I have cut stuff taller than the cab on a regular basis.

The slip clutch is very important since you are going to be in many different areas where you haven't cut before. Keeping one's own field cut down is one thing, but being hired to cut the fields of others is entirely a different thing.

You are going to need front ballast for the mower on that machine due to the weight of the mower and how far it hangs off the rear of the machine. Using the FEL and bucket with the bucket edge rolled back as far as possible and running the bottom of the bucket low, can help to locate things you can't see before you get to them with your tractor. Better to find the log buried in the grass with the bottom of the bucket so you can stop than to run over it and possibly damage the underside of the tractor or drive line on the tractor.

In one field, I found a roll of over 600 feet of power line coiled up and buried deep in the grass.......Fortunately, I saw it before I got there with the mower. Also, if you are mowing in areas which are "suburban" but have municipal utilities, watch out for fire hydrants which get over grown and are very hard to spot. Many don't have the vertical "flags" or markers on them. When you are within that corridor of the road where fire hydrants can be found, its best to see of there are hydrants on the immediate area and locate them. Cut away the brush and grass so you can see them. One of those would really ruin your day if you ran into it.
What did you do with the power wire?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts